Gimmesix's 1st preseason game 53

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
OFFENSE

Quarterbacks
Romo, Prescott
COMMENTS At least for the moment, Prescott has given Dallas reason not to get a veteran backup. That could change as the preseason progresses, but there was every reason to be impressed with Prescott on Saturday. Showers also had some good moments without much help from his blockers. The question here for me right now is if Dallas will keep a third quarterback if Prescott puts together similar performances to what we saw. It might be possible to put Showers back on the practice squad and save a roster spot for elsewhere.

Running backs
Elliott, Morris, McFadden, Dunbar
COMMENTS Morris looked capable of handling the backup role, which could make one of the other veterans expendable. However, I did not see enough from Jackson on Saturday to give him a spot ahead of them. He had some a few nice runs, so we'll see if he can build on that. If he can, Dunbar is most likely on the bubble unless someone offers a pick for McFadden.

Fullback
R. Smith
COMMENTS Rod gets the nod over Keith simply because he was the first fullback put into the game. I do like what he offers as a runner and receiver, but did not see anything to tell us he can help much as a blocker.

Tight ends
Witten, Hanna, Escobar, Swaim
COMMENTS Probably many are cutting Swaim after he dropped two passes Saturday, but his performance in camp buys him some leeway while Gathers is too much of a project to fit on the 53 at this point.

Wide receivers
Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Butler, Whitehead, Street
COMMENTS Street is probably the 53rd player on this 53 so his spot could easily go to another position or another receiver. However, he looked better Saturday than any of the other receivers possibly competing for a sixth WR spot.

Offensive line
Smith, Collins, Frederick, Martin, Free, Leary, Looney, Green
COMMENTS Street's spot could easily be used on another lineman because we usually like to go with nine. I just can't find a ninth linemen on the preseason roster worthy of making this team, and I'm not sure Green is worth, either. He did not look out of place, though, when he was in Smith's spot with the starters, but looked more and more shaky as the game went on. I will not be surprised if Dallas keeps cutting vets and bringing more in until it finds a suitable experienced tackle.

DEFENSE

Defensive line
Mayowa, T. Crawford, Thornton, Irving, Tapper, J. Crawford, Collins, T. McClain, Russell
COMMENTS Watching Russell play has me looking forward to Mayowa being cleared. We could be deep on the interior with Jack Crawford providing some valuable minutes, but we'll have to see how McClain and Collins look when healthy. Also, not getting to to see Tapper left us with fewer quality end options for Saturday's game, and it showed with Irving really being the only one who showed any consistency.

Linebackers
Lee, Hitchens, Durant, Gachkar, Wilson, Nzeocha, Wilber
COMMENTS Much like with the defensive line, Saturday's performance at linebacker should be looked at in light of Lee, Durant, Gachkar and Wilson all not playing. Lots of confusion and missteps by a group missing most of its veterans. Wilber should have played better regardless, but Wilber isn't on the team because he's a great linebacker, he's on the team for special teams. Nzeocha showed promise.

Cornerbacks
Scandrick, Carr, Claiborne, Brown, Olatoye
COMMENTS The Rams didn't challenge our starting corners much, even though we were without Scandrick. Brown looked like a rookie while Olatoye continues to show he's willing to attack the ball.

Safeties
Church, Jones, Heath, Frazier
COMMENTS Not really sure yet that we have a fourth safety worth keeping, but I do think Frazier is worth developing. I had hopes Wilcox might show some progress, but he actually seems to have regressed. It's hard to believe some thought he could challenge Church to be the starting strong safety. He just does not play with his head.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kicker
Bailey

Punter
Jones

Long snapper
Ladoceur

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Hard to argue with your list. The only one for me is Jackson who I just don't see not making the team. Good list gimme.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of putting this thread in this forum instead of in the main one because many of us, me included, hardly ever leave the fan forum and this is as much my way of discussing the preseason game as it is giving my roster prediction.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hard to argue with your list. The only one for me is Jackson who I just don't see not making the team. Good list gimme.

I do think there are several reasons he's a possibility over one of the veterans, but I want to see more from him before I give him a spot. I didn't see great vision from him Saturday, and Dunbar is a better special teams player at this point.

However, I do believe the things that give him an advantage are:

1) The team not needing to carry a multitude of "older" backs.

2) McFadden and Dunbar's tendency to be fragile.

3) McFadden and Dunbar each only being under contract for this year.

John813

Reaction score
Overall, I agree with your list.

However, I think Jackson makes the team over Dunbar and/or McFadden.

I think Dunbar is an unique weapon, but he is purely a 3rd down catching back who can't stay healthy.
With Zeke and Morris as locks, and Jackson being a younger and cheaper option, is it worth carrying purely a pass catching back?
Lucky, with that return, just about sealed up KR duties as well.
Not to mention Zeke is a dual threat, along with McFadden(if we keep him).
We may keep McFadden due to his pass protection, catching and running. However, he doesn't fit our blocking (ZBS)

Quarterback. With Romo being on the iffy side of lasting a season, and Showers looking decent all things considered, I think we may keep a 3rd QB. We can always cut one of the TE's or Street, fullback or just go with 3 backs.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a fan of putting this thread in this forum instead of in the main one because many of us, me included, hardly ever leave the fan forum and this is as much my way of discussing the preseason game as it is giving my roster prediction.

Out of curiosity, don't most of you guys view the forums using the New Posts sort anyway? That's my default view whenever I'm browsing, and I frequently have to double check which forum posts are in if I'm moderating or moving something. I'm embarrassed to say I often don't see if something needs to be moved to a different forum unless I read a post that makes me check.

The only downside with the New Posts sort is that I get so many unread threads from the stupid rants in the Rant Zone and accidentally click on it and am confused where all the crazy is coming from until I reorient.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, don't most of you guys view the forums using the New Posts sort anyway? That's my default view whenever I'm browsing, and I frequently have to double check which forum posts are in if I'm moderating or moving something. I'm embarrassed to say I often don't see if something needs to be moved to a different forum unless I read a post that makes me check.

The only downside with the New Posts sort is that I get so many unread threads from the stupid rants in the Rant Zone and accidentally click on it and am confused where all the crazy is coming from until I reorient.

My default is Fan Zone and I really don't browse beyond that because I don't believe I have time. When I get a few moments, I usually just check what's been posted there. I have never used the New Posts sort and that might be easier, but it's always been simple for me to click on Fan Zone, see if anyone has responded to my posts and scan if there are any new posts I want to read.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My default is Fan Zone and I really don't browse beyond that because I don't believe I have time. When I get a few moments, I usually just check what's been posted there. I have never used the New Posts sort and that might be easier, but it's always been simple for me to click on Fan Zone, see if anyone has responded to my posts and scan if there are any new posts I want to read.

I think yours is the normal way to read the forum. I only mentioned it because I think the New Posts sort is faster and more comprehensive. When I come to the forum, I hit my Conversations first, then my Alerts, then the New Posts, and I'm out.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Overall, I agree with your list.

However, I think Jackson makes the team over Dunbar and/or McFadden.

I think Dunbar is an unique weapon, but he is purely a 3rd down catching back who can't stay healthy.
With Zeke and Morris as locks, and Jackson being a younger and cheaper option, is it worth carrying purely a pass catching back?
Lucky, with that return, just about sealed up KR duties as well.
Not to mention Zeke is a dual threat, along with McFadden(if we keep him).
We may keep McFadden due to his pass protection, catching and running. However, he doesn't fit our blocking (ZBS)

Quarterback. With Romo being on the iffy side of lasting a season, and Showers looking decent all things considered, I think we may keep a 3rd QB. We can always cut one of the TE's or Street, fullback or just go with 3 backs.

There will be a couple of questions with Jackson.

First, does he show enough in the preseason for some team to nab him if we try to put him on the practice squad.

Second, does his skill set provide something we cannot get from the other backs, even if that's upside.

I believe McFadden provides a safety net. We know he can rush for more than 1,000 yards and a 4-plus average behind this line if something were to happen to Elliott.

I think Morris is strictly a platoon guy, so we might want to hold on to the safety net. Morris is more probable to be the guy who gets the bulk of the backup carries IMO because he better fits this scheme than McFadden, but McFadden has more big-play potential because of his speed.

Dunbar is a different from the other backs. He covers kicks, is reliable to field kickoffs if needed (not much of a return man) and showed he can be a breakaway threat as a specialty back.

Right now, Jackson is an unknown. We don't know if he's going to be the next late-round find or just an intriguing back like Tyson Thompson was. If he shows that he might be more than that, then I think you keep him ... but I didn't see that Saturday.

With Showers, I don't think it's necessary to keep a third QB on the 53. We can likely stash him on the PS and call him up if needed. Maybe we run a slight risk that someone will pick him up on waivers, but I don't think it's likely at this point. If he plays like Dak did, then there's no doubt that we couldn't risk it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think yours is the normal way to read the forum. I only mentioned it because I think the New Posts sort is faster and more comprehensive. When I come to the forum, I hit my Conversations first, then my Alerts, then the New Posts, and I'm out.

Interesting. I'm an old dog, but I might be willing to try a new trick.

But back to my original comment about posting my preseason analysis/roster here. I can understand the reason for it (and I'm not one to count likes because I don't give them), but I know more members view things like this in the Fan Zone since there are five more likes there to show it.

I'm all about stirring up conversation with fellow fans about the team and I feel when posts like these are relegated to an off forum, we lose out on some of the discussion.

I know there is a need for some different areas, such as the Rant Zone and forums about other teams, and even the draft (although I feel Dallas draft info should also be on the main forum), but because most of us dwell in the Fan Zone, I feel our cowboys-related stuff should stay there ... at least for a few days if nothing else.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting. I'm an old dog, but I might be willing to try a new trick.

But back to my original comment about posting my preseason analysis/roster here. I can understand the reason for it (and I'm not one to count likes because I don't give them), but I know more members view things like this in the Fan Zone since there are five more likes there to show it.

I'm all about stirring up conversation with fellow fans about the team and I feel when posts like these are relegated to an off forum, we lose out on some of the discussion.

I know there is a need for some different areas, such as the Rant Zone and forums about other teams, and even the draft (although I feel Dallas draft info should also be on the main forum), but because most of us dwell in the Fan Zone, I feel our cowboys-related stuff should stay there ... at least for a few days if nothing else.

I completely understand. The Roster Zone exists because, as the season wears on, we get a lot of roster prediction threads and the number of them pushes other thread topics off the fan page. You're just a bit early in the season here, but I understand why whichever staff member moved it moved it.

I just thought to pass along the New Posts thing because that's how I think everybody should look for new content across all forums. If more people did it, we wouldn't get so many complaints about rants being moved to the Rant Zone and such. :)

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Thanks I didn't know about this option either.