Given that FA starts in just over a month and

Woods

Reaction score
given that Gaines is gone, would T Ciskowski assume that role as well IF he's promoted?

In other words, do you think Ciskowski would be Head of Player Personnel and focus on both the draft and veteran FAs, or would JJ assume the lead role in procuring other teams' FAs for the roster?

I know JJ was thinking about hiring someone to replace Gaines, and that maybe the hire would be internal . . . .

Who would likely be Gaines' internal replacement then down the depth chart if we replace from within for pro personnel?

TVMan

Reaction score
We have a guy named Mike Murphy who is completely capable of doing the job.

Woods

Reaction score
TVMan;1929816 said:
We have a guy named Mike Murphy who is completely capable of doing the job.

Great, thanks. Let me google him.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Actually Mike murphy is just a national scout, there are 8 of those in the front office, the rest of the scouts are

Mike Murphy--National Scout hired from seattle in 05 when Ireland was promoted.

Drew Fabianich-Midwest area scout hired in 03 to work the combine and then promoted in 04 to midwest area scout.

Walter Juliff-Southeast area scout since 2001, has been a scout for 22 years. He is the cowboys former assistant director of college and pro scouting from 1995-2000. He was responsible for signing college free agents from 1992-2000 for us.

Mitch Lapoint--West area scout--hired in 2005, spent the previous seven years in the chiefs player personnel department.

Henry Sroka--Hired in 1999, was originally the midwest area scout but has been the southwest area scout since 2005.

John Wojciechowski--Northeast area scout, hired in 2003 from the jaguars.

Sam Garza--Pro Scout, hired in 2005, he is the guy who worked closest to Brian gaine and could be the guy in line for a promotion.

Will McClay--Pro Scout hired in 2002. Former assitant director of pro scouting of the jax jaguars. He is also the Dallas Desperados AFL head coach.

All of these guys I believe report their scouting to Tom Ciskowski and Chris Hall.

Chris hall--College Scouting Coordinator. Currently in his 19th season with the cowboys and has been the CSC since 2001. His current title and roles are that he is in charge of the day-to-day operation and organization of the scouting department, including the creation of and sorting of player information for the nfl draft, maintaining the college database and organizing the post draft free agent signing period.

So before a month ago all the pro scouts went to Brian gaine, with sam garza being the scout who worked the closest with him. And then everything went up to Jeff Ireland. Ireland, ciskowski and gaine were the top dogs. Now I am assuming Ciskowski is the top dog and maybe Chris hall or garza will get a bump.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;1929866 said:
Actually Mike murphy is just a national scout, there are 8 of those in the front office, the rest of the scouts are

Drew Fabianich-Midwest area scout hired in 03 to work the combine and then promoted in 04 to midwest area scout.

Walter Juliff-Southeast area scout since 2001, has been a scout for 22 years. He is the cowboys former assistant director of college and pro scouting from 1995-2000. He was responsible for signing college free agents from 1992-2000 for us.

Mitch Lapoint--West area scout--hired in 2005, spent the previous seven years in the chiefs player personnel department.

Henry Sroka--Hired in 1999, was originally the midwest area scout but has been the southwest area scout since 2005.

Sam Garza--Pro Scout, hired in 2005, he is the guy who worked closest to Brian gaine and could be the guy in line for a promotion.

Will McClay--Pro Scout hired in 2002. Former assitant director of pro scouting of the jax jaguars. He is also the Dallas Desperados AFL head coach.

All of these guys I believe report their scouting to Tom Ciskowski and Chris Hall.

Chris hall--College Scouting Coordinator. Currently in his 19th season with the cowboys and has been the CSC since 2001. His current title and roles are that he is in charge of the day-to-day operation and organization of the scouting department, including the creation of and sorting of player information for the nfl draft, maintaining the college database and organizing the post draft free agent signing period.

So before a month ago all the pro scouts went to Brian gaine, with sam garza being the scout who worked the closest with him. And then everything went up to Jeff Ireland. Ireland, ciskowski and gaine were the top dogs. Now I am assuming Ciskowski is the top dog and maybe Chris hall or garza will get a bump.
You forgot.

Joe Fan. Couch Scout.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile;1929871 said:
You forgot.

Joe Fan. Couch Scout.

lol

oh yea

Joe fan- Couch scout--Been playing maddens football since its inception in 1989, has won the super bowl in every season with Dallas. Currently is working on trades that include our two number 1's for randy moss. Has helped out in the draft since 1989 by screaming at the tv after every pick in complaint that other players were better. Unsuccessfully tried to trade Dexter Coakley every season since the late 90s for a premiere quarterback or running back. Still trying. Generally cant remember the names of more than 5 players on the team, but knows exactly how to fix all problems. Currently not in line for promotion.

Woods

Reaction score
theebs;1929866 said:

Good stuff! Thanks.

slick325

Reaction score
theebs;1929866 said:

Thanks for the info. From the looks of this it does appear that Hall and Garza are in line to bump up. I hope that's the case in order to maintain continuity. I hope they are as competent as their predecessors.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;1929871 said:
You forgot.

Joe Fan. Couch Scout.

No, no. He's part of the organization that reports directly to Jerry. He's above this group of men and actually associated with the decision making folks who drive direction of the Cowboys.

;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theebs;1929874 said:
lol

oh yea

Joe fan- Couch scout--Been playing maddens football since its inception in 1989, has won the super bowl in every season with Dallas. Currently is working on trades that include our two number 1's for randy moss. Has helped out in the draft since 1989 by screaming at the tv after every pick in complaint that other players were better. Unsuccessfully tried to trade Dexter Coakley every season since the late 90s for a premiere quarterback or running back. Still trying. Generally cant remember the names of more than 5 players on the team, but knows exactly how to fix all problems. Currently not in line for promotion.
I think Joe posts on this site. That bio is just too dead on.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure where I saw it, but I saw Will McClay's name kicked around too as an option for a promotion. I think it was on one of the beat writer's blogs, but I'm not sure which one, tho.

TVMan

Reaction score
On Monday, Jones went through the team's evaluation process, starting with the reports of the area scouts to the cross-checking done by national scout Mike Murphy, assistant director of college scouting Tom Ciskowski and vice president of college and pro scouting Jeff Ireland, to the opinions of the coaches.
Chris Hall could be a legit choice as well.

LINK

TVMan

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1929959 said:
Not sure where I saw it, but I saw Will McClay's name kicked around too as an option for a promotion. I think it was on one of the beat writer's blogs, but I'm not sure which one, tho.

He has been a part of the scouting dept. as long as he has been the head coach for the Desperados.