Glenn get a pass?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
There has been alot of talk about how poor Bledsoe played, but I cant help but wonder why Terry Glenn is taking more slack on this site. Why does he get a pass? He pretty much killed 2 drives with his false starts and he was partially to blame for the interception on the pass to Witten. He needs to run hard to push the CB up the field when he is the decoy, not take the play off. Yea Bledsoe was bad but he wasnt the only one and shouldnt be the sole skape gaot.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
There has been alot of talk about how poor Bledsoe played, but I cant help but wonder why Terry Glenn is taking more slack on this site. Why does he get a pass? He pretty much killed 2 drives with his false starts and he was partially to blame for the interception on the pass to Witten. He needs to run hard to push the CB up the field when he is the decoy, not take the play off. Yea Bledsoe was bad but he wasnt the only one and shouldnt be the sole skape gaot.

I think that is good point. Right now Bledsoe is the goat of the week around here and with good reason but there were many bad plays and mistakes made by others that killed drives and put Dallas is bad situations that are hard to overcome when facing a good team like Jacksonville. As well as some big penalties by the defense that helped Jacksonville keep drives alive. The old adage still holds true QB gets way too much credit for wins and too much blame when you lose.

conner01

Reaction score
i made the point monday that glenn did not clear out his guy. but drew should have seen that the other db was still in the area.
i would blame both but really it does'nt matter who screwed up, the point is to get it fixed by this sunday

Doomsday101

Reaction score
conner01 said:
i made the point monday that glenn did not clear out his guy. but drew should have seen that the other db was still in the area.
i would blame both but really it does'nt matter who screwed up, the point is to get it fixed by this sunday

I agree. Right now fans are playing the blame game players can't afford to do that they have to get this turned around and get ready for the skins. That goes for Bledsoe but it goes to a lot of other players who did not have a great game this past Sunday.

aznhalf

Reaction score
Along with taunting, a false start by a WR has to one of the most pointless penalties you can take. Just look at the ball...not that hard.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday said:

Not to defend Glenn, but IMO, we lost our momentum on the third offensive drive. Glenn had his first false start, putting the 'Boys 1st and 15. Bledsoe went back to pass. He had no pressure and Witten was wide open because of a blown coverage. Bledsoe overthrew him.......had he hit him in stride, Witten could have gone for at least 25 yeards, putting us out of a hole. Instead, on 2nd down JJ was stuffed and Barber took a middle screen for 12 yards on 3rd, and we punted. All the momentum was gone, and Bledsoe wasn't the same after this drive.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Doomsday said:
He pretty much killed 2 drives with his false starts

His first false start was on the first play of a possession, and we got a first down despite his second one. That was the drive that had Witten's TD called back and a missed field goal. I wouldn't say his penalties killed either one of those drives.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
His first false start was on the first play of a possession, and we got a first down despite his second one. That was the drive that had Witten's TD called back and a missed field goal. I wouldn't say his penalties killed either one of those drives.

The sad thing about the Witten PI call is that he could probably have still made the catch without pushing off of the defender.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
The sad thing about the Witten PI call is that he could probably have still made the catch without pushing off of the defender.

No, the sad thing is that offensive pass interference was called only one way during the game. Witten might have pushed off, but Reggie Williams definitely committed offensive PI on his TD catch. It's unfortunate that both of those plays involved TD catches and both of them went the wrong way for us.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
No, the sad thing is that offensive pass interference was called only one way during the game. Witten might have pushed off, but Reggie Williams definitely committed offensive PI on his TD catch. It's unfortunate that both of those plays involved TD catches and both of them went the wrong way for us.

I'm assuming that you are referring to when Reggie Williams pushed Henry to the side just before his TD catch.

You are correct in that it was a terrible non-call, but I stopped blaming the referees when they overturned a couple of calls in our favor at the end of the game...only to have Bledsoe throw an INT and seal the deal.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Doomsday said:
Why does he get a pass? He pretty much killed 2 drives with his false starts and he was partially to blame for the interception on the pass to Witten. He needs to run hard to push the CB up the field when he is the decoy, not take the play off.
After watching the replay, I was thinking that that play was the worst designed play I've ever seen with Glenn in the same vicinity as Witten. And after re-watching it several times, I can't understand why Glenn didn't keep running deep - Because he slowed down and turned around, it made the corner turn and when he did, he saw the ball coming right at him. I do blame that on Glenn.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
How come when people bring of the officiating and one sided calls, nobody mentions the WAY WAY late hit on Owens after his first catch?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
I'm assuming that you are referring to when Reggie Williams pushed Henry to the side just before his TD catch.

You are correct in that it was a terrible non-call, but I stopped blaming the referees when they overturned a couple of calls in our favor at the end of the game...only to have Bledsoe throw an INT and seal the deal.

I wasn't blaming the referees for our loss. We had plenty of our own mistakes that cost uys the game. I just think that the offensive pass interference penalties weren't called equally for both teams, that's all.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:

Pushed Henry to the side? Your being too generous Tuna. Dang near made Henry an ostrich.

Hey, a fella has got to find ways to get open when the field shrinks, no doubt about it, but that truly was as blatant as I've seen. Bad part to me was that there was a referee 10 feet away looking directly at the play. How they gonna call them? I didn't see Witten's infraction nearly as blatant.

I will say that the referring as a whole was not very good this weekend.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
ChldsPlay said:
How come when people bring of the officiating and one sided calls, nobody mentions the WAY WAY late hit on Owens after his first catch?
I couldn't believe they didn't call that either. I just want some consistancy that's it. It was on the first catch by Owens, he went down and then right after he was down, a guy slams down on Owens - no call.

But again, I don't really care about the refs too much, we made a THOUSAND mistakes, and still had a chance to win.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:

gee thats funny, I see Jeremy Shockey and Antonio Gates do th same kind of thing almost everytime I see them play, and its never called...it was an incredibly picky call

and as already mentioned numerous times, how could they eagle eye that call on Witten but somehow "miss" what Reggie Williams did...replay shows the official looking right at the play the entire time, but he didnt make the call

David

aikemirv

Reaction score
Henry did not get that call IMO because he initiated the hand contact and interfered before Williams ever interfered with him. I really don't have a problem with that no-call. He made his bed - he should have to lie in it. If he plays the ball rather than the defender he would not have been interfered with and might have prevented the TD.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Henry did not get that call IMO because he initiated the hand contact and interfered before Williams ever interfered with him. I really don't have a problem with that no-call. He made his bed - he should have to lie in it. If he plays the ball rather than the defender he would not have been interfered with and might have prevented the TD.

I agree and think it was a good no call. On Witten interference I have seen that called at times and other times the refs let it go. One thing for sure I don't believe the refs cost us the game our own poor play did.

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday said:

The bottom line about this game is the entire team failed to execute as it should have. We had our opportunities to score and other opportunities to sustain long drives, but penalties, poor execution and poor decision making did us in.

Bledsoe deserves a lot of blame - he did play poorly. However, had the team executed better as a whole, we still may have won despite Bledsoe's bad performance, and Bledsoe's performance would have been forgotten quickly and treated as just a fluke bad game.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:

Does TV show the viewers all the angles available to the refs for review of a call? I'm not sure they do. The pass intended for Owens probably hit the ground. It appeared to come out before he hit and then he regained it. But the defender's body blocked the ball from view on the angle we as viewer's got so you couldn't actually see the ball hit the ground.

I would like to hear Mike Pereira's explanation on the Jones catch. I think it's incomplete as a matter of rule because they changed the possession rule a couple years ago to require that you maintain possesion of the ball when you hit the ground and he didn't do that. I think that was the right call also.