big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good news, bad news for Cowboys' depth issues at offensive tackle
reidhanson
August 20, 2024

The Cowboys couldn’t be happier with the development of rookie left tackle Tyler Guyton. The first round pick out of Oklahoma is every bit as advertised athletically, and his learning curve has exceeded even the most optimistic of expectations.

The Cowboys are similarly pleased with the rehabilitation of veteran right tackle, Terence Steele. The homegrown tackle is hoping to put his disappointing 2023 season behind him. Another year removed from his nasty knee injury late in 2022, Steele is looking closer to his pre-injury self.

Depth responsibilities have fallen onto the shoulders of a pair of former fifth-round picks, Matt Waletzko and Asim Richards. While both players have shown signs of development, neither appear to be ready to fill in as an OT starter anytime soon. Before the rash of injuries, Waletzko was projected by many to miss the Cowboys’ final 53-man cut altogether. As for Richards, he has outside flex but currently looks better at the guard position.

More: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/20/cowboys-offensive-tackle-depth-concerns/

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The FO has a history of doing so well with the offensive line......why the hell can't they even come close to that with the defensive line?

Beyond frustrating
I assume this is specific to DT - where the Cowboys are basically league average.

Cowboys fans just have false expectations when it comes to DL play and depth. Osa, for instance, is a starter on pretty much every team in the league. This board constantly complained about Maliek Collins, and here he is years later as a good player still playing for a heck of a lot more than bottom-roster vet min guys.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think both Waltetzgo and Richards are better than this writer is thinking. Also the could move Ball back out to OT though he is not all that great.
The reason I say move Ball, is that who ever does nott win the starting C position. In Hoffman or Beebe, can be back up G over Ball.

Then there is the draft OL Thomas, how is he doing.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Here's what's weird.

Haven't seen the PFF grades yet for the Raiders game, but many of us were already aware that... Josh Ball... topped the list of O-linemen grades in the Rams game... but not just that... topped the list of all offensive players... and not just that... topped the list of O-linemen by several points.

And this guy writes this entire article, apparently completely oblivious, not to just that point, but to the point that... who was getting the second-string LT snaps with Edoga out? Yep. That same guy.

We all thought that was going to be Richards. Nope. They like Richards better at OG apparently after all, or at least, they decided they needed to give Ball a serious look there.

If I'm not mistaken, they'll be able to keep both Edoga and Ball, if they're willing (and Ball and his agent are willing) to expose Ball just long enough to put Edoga on the 53-man and move him to the IR.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Don’t know that I agree. Richards looks more than fine but he isn’t even playing tackle…that I noticed anyway.

Waletzko is a turnstile and will probably be cut but he at least deserves the shot. He will end up on someone’s PS.

Guyton appears to have won the starting LT job and if they get in a jam they can move Tyler there and Richards, or even Bass can play LG.

There’s depth, versatility and youth. Can’t ask for a lot more.

This team has a long list of problems but I don’t think OT is one of them. I mean, other than guaranteeing 17 million in cap space to Steele for NEXT season. I realize the injury set him back, but I never thought he was all that great beforehand….or at least not worthy of giving him that kind of money then claim cap poverty.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I assume this is specific to DT - where the Cowboys are basically league average.

Cowboys fans just have false expectations when it comes to DL play and depth. Osa, for instance, is a starter on pretty much every team in the league. This board constantly complained about Maliek Collins, and here he is years later as a good player still playing for a heck of a lot more than bottom-roster vet min guys.
I agree with your statements and it's nice when someone recognizes that a player doesn't have to be a superstar to be a good player & valuable to the organization. That said, they failed for years to draft\acquire the true nose, run stuffing players for the interior that were so obviously needed.

Creeper

Reaction score
reidhanson
August 20, 2024

The Cowboys couldn’t be happier with the development of rookie left tackle Tyler Guyton. The first round pick out of Oklahoma is every bit as advertised athletically, and his learning curve has exceeded even the most optimistic of expectations.

The Cowboys are similarly pleased with the rehabilitation of veteran right tackle, Terence Steele. The homegrown tackle is hoping to put his disappointing 2023 season behind him. Another year removed from his nasty knee injury late in 2022, Steele is looking closer to his pre-injury self.

Depth responsibilities have fallen onto the shoulders of a pair of former fifth-round picks, Matt Waletzko and Asim Richards. While both players have shown signs of development, neither appear to be ready to fill in as an OT starter anytime soon. Before the rash of injuries, Waletzko was projected by many to miss the Cowboys’ final 53-man cut altogether. As for Richards, he has outside flex but currently looks better at the guard position.

More: https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/20/cowboys-offensive-tackle-depth-concerns/
Does everybody agree with this assessment?

Guyton is ready. It doesn't mean he will be great, but he is good enough to get out there and learn to play against first team competition. Bostick was awful. He was IMO the worst young player they had on the field the first two pre-season games. Asim Richards has looked really good, and again, that doesn't mean has hasn't made mistakes. He is learning on the job. I think he shows traits to make him a potential starter someday. But he is good enough if they need him now.

I am worried about Waletzko if he has to go. But Edoga is unreliable and frankly not that great when he is healthy. I would try Richards at LT and see how he does.

The Cowboys also have Nathan Thomas. I haven't seen much of him but he looks like an OG. With Bass and Richards inside,, where does Thomas fit? Maybe Richards should move outside and Thomas gets reps at OG?

I think the good news is they have some potential along the OL. It may be the best depth they have had in years.

blueblood70

Reaction score
reidhanson
August 20, 2024

Richards is getting good reviews from what i pieced Together so far from reports, but they brought in the UFL guy as the swing T or at least Insurance. until Edoga comes back most likely game 5.

I think overall and I'm not gonna read the story linked but I think the depth is good all around and yes a lot of it is young and unproven but I think the line got stronger more physical as far as just the general attitude of some of these new players they seem to look for contact you know they get their first guide or looking for the second level I'd like this group even though there will be some growing pains I'm not expecting perfection... I think this line has a bright future to be something close to what we put together in 2014-16 they just need time..

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I agree with your statements and it's nice when someone recognizes that a player doesn't have to be a superstar to be a good player & valuable to the organization. That said, they failed for years to draft\acquire the true nose, run stuffing players for the interior that were so obviously needed.
No team drafts them because they don't matter, let alone exist.

If a DT can't penetrate, they have no value. That's why Jordan Phillips is such a good sign.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t know that I agree. Richards looks more than fine but he isn’t even playing tackle…that I noticed anyway.

Waletzko is a turnstile and will probably be cut but he at least deserves the shot. He will end up on someone’s PS.

Guyton appears to have won the starting LT job and if they get in a jam they can move Tyler there and Richards, or even Bass can play LG.

There’s depth, versatility and youth. Can’t ask for a lot more.

This team has a long list of problems but I don’t think OT is one of them. I mean, other than guaranteeing 17 million in cap space to Steele for NEXT season. I realize the injury set him back, but I never thought he was all that great beforehand….or at least not worthy of giving him that kind of money then claim cap poverty.

:hammer:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think both Waltetzgo and Richards are better than this writer is thinking. Also the could move Ball back out to OT though he is not all that great.
The reason I say move Ball, is that who ever does nott win the starting C position. In Hoffman or Beebe, can be back up G over Ball.

Then there is the draft OL Thomas, how is he doing.
I think Waletzko isn’t good and he is injury prone and can’t be trusted.

Richard’s is developing nicely though. So I think you’re right there and he is solid depth.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Does everybody agree with this assessment?

Guyton is ready. It doesn't mean he will be great, but he is good enough to get out there and learn to play against first team competition. Bostick was awful. He was IMO the worst young player they had on the field the first two pre-season games. Asim Richards has looked really good, and again, that doesn't mean has hasn't made mistakes. He is learning on the job. I think he shows traits to make him a potential starter someday. But he is good enough if they need him now.

I am worried about Waletzko if he has to go. But Edoga is unreliable and frankly not that great when he is healthy. I would try Richards at LT and see how he does.

The Cowboys also have Nathan Thomas. I haven't seen much of him but he looks like an OG. With Bass and Richards inside,, where does Thomas fit? Maybe Richards should move outside and Thomas gets reps at OG?

I think the good news is they have some potential along the OL. It may be the best depth they have had in years.
I agree with what you said I'm not reading the article but yeah it is shaky when you're depending on a bunch of young unproven players but at the same time they're upside is tremendous I'll let them grow no matter if they struggle or not they need to just fight through it the coaches need to have patience I think the starters and the depth look better than it has in a very long time and I think they're on the way to at least getting something close that we had in 2014 through 2016 before the sudden departure of Frederick which ruined this line and then the aging of tyron Smith and then not being able to find a quality center and left guard but I think we've resolving that now..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Here's what's weird.

Haven't seen the PFF grades yet for the Raiders game, but many of us were already aware that... Josh Ball... topped the list of O-linemen grades in the Rams game... but not just that... topped the list of all offensive players... and not just that... topped the list of O-linemen by several points.

And this guy writes this entire article, apparently completely oblivious, not to just that point, but to the point that... who was getting the second-string LT snaps with Edoga out? Yep. That same guy.

We all thought that was going to be Richards. Nope. They like Richards better at OG apparently after all, or at least, they decided they needed to give Ball a serious look there.

If I'm not mistaken, they'll be able to keep both Edoga and Ball, if they're willing (and Ball and his agent are willing) to expose Ball just long enough to put Edoga on the 53-man and move him to the IR.
Edoga isn't anything special at either position. If Ball is trending up, I don't expose him or anyone else to keep Edoga. I just don't understand their fetish with "meh" players sometimes.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
This board is too critical of Edoga. He is a backup tackle. Every backup OT in the league is bad.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Going to be some interesting cuts based on the injuries.

Right now would bet Ball makes the team as the backup OT/OG. He has looked much better against the Raiders than at any other time so maybe the light has gone on for him. I like Thomas but very raw so see him on the PS, at least for now. Waletzko has this upcoming last preseason game to make a difference as he has never lived up to any of his hype. Shepley makes the PS simply for depth as doubt any team puts a claim in on him. Edoga should go on IR as it appears that he could be out for 10 weeks with the toe injury and frankly wouldn't be surprised if they waive/injury him with a settlement. They could always pick him back up mid season. He only cost $668,000 if cut.

See the final cut as of now being Guyton, Steele, Waletzko and Richards at OT, Smith, Martin, Ball and Bass at OG, with Beebe and Hoffman at OG leaving Thomas and Shepley for the PS. Have to watch the waiver wire for possible cut that they might be more interested in the Shepley.

Really need Guyton and Steele to stay healthy this year.

rambo2

Reaction score
reidhanson
August 20, 2024

I would move Tyler Smith to tackle if needed. They have good interior depth.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Going to be some interesting cuts based on the injuries.

Right now would bet Ball makes the team as the backup OT/OG. He has looked much better against the Raiders than at any other time so maybe the light has gone on for him. I like Thomas but very raw so see him on the PS, at least for now. Waletzko has this upcoming last preseason game to make a difference as he has never lived up to any of his hype. Shepley makes the PS simply for depth as doubt any team puts a claim in on him. Edoga should go on IR as it appears that he could be out for 10 weeks with the toe injury and frankly wouldn't be surprised if they waive/injury him with a settlement. They could always pick him back up mid season. He only cost $668,000 if cut.

See the final cut as of now being Guyton, Steele, Waletzko and Richards at OT, Smith, Martin, Ball and Bass at OG, with Beebe and Hoffman at OG leaving Thomas and Shepley for the PS. Have to watch the waiver wire for possible cut that they might be more interested in the Shepley.

Really need Guyton and Steele to stay healthy this year.
Not ten weeks they said it would be a six week injury at most that puts them back here after coming off IR for Game 5.. That's what I heard but we'll see no one knows it's accurate with people's healing and what the injury really is but that was the word when it happened I didn't hear anything about 10 weeks that basically put him off the team