Video: Good video on dissecting Staley's(Chargers HC) defense. Talking Xs and Os

Eanwen

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen the Cowboys use this alignment in the preseason but I can't swear to it. Interesting nonetheless.

Zman5

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've seen the Cowboys use this alignment in the preseason but I can't swear to it. Interesting nonetheless.

We have the type of players to run this. It should help with our run defense while DLaw is out.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
This all starts with a very good NT, we dont have one . May be Osa can beat double teams but other DTs cant

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Cheating to 4i from typical 5 techniques is not remotely new. The idea is that there are bubbles in the B gap for cut backs on lateral runs. It also makes it harder for the guards to get to the second level.

Dan Quinn did not run a 1 gapping defense either. He ran a hybrid front where the 2 gap end would sometimes cheat to 4i depending on talent.

At the end of the day the Rams were so good because they had Brockers, Suh, Shields, Talib, Ramsey and others to go along with Donald. Now they don't and cheating inside for the bubble isn't saving them.

The video sucks. I hope they put Bosa 4i against Tyron. Yes please.

JBond

Reaction score
So for a dumb guy like me, why don't we play more 1 gap?

Zman5

Reaction score
Cheating to 4i from typical 5 techniques is not remotely new. The idea is that there are bubbles in the B gap for cut backs on lateral runs. It also makes it harder for the guards to get to the second level.

Dan Quinn did not run a 1 gapping defense either. He ran a hybrid front where the 2 gap end would sometimes cheat to 4i depending on talent.

At the end of the day the Rams were so good because they had Brockers, Suh, Shields, Talib, Ramsey and others to go along with Donald. Now they don't and cheating inside for the bubble isn't saving them.

The video sucks. I hope they put Bosa 4i against Tyron. Yes please.

The Video doesn't suck. It does a good job of explaining Staley's defense. You can say you don't like Staley's scheme but to say the video sucks is just dumb.
It gives a good insight on what we might get from the Charger's defense on Sunday.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Video doesn't suck. It does a good job of explaining Staley's defense. You can say you don't like Staley's scheme but to say the video sucks is just dumb.
It gives a good insight on what we might get from the Charger's defense on Sunday.

I disagree. He acted like 4i was some new development when it wasn't. He was wrong about Quinns dl

Those are two of his central point his argument relies on.

Zman5

Reaction score
I disagree. He acted like 4i was some new development when it wasn't. He was wrong about Quinns dl

Those are two of his central point his argument relies on.

No he didn't . He said it's not new and has been around but Staley is the one to use it as his base defense lately. He gave video examples to show what kind of defense he runs and explains well what the advantages and disadvantages are.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No he didn't . He said it's not new and has been around but Staley is the one to use it as his base defense lately. He gave video examples to show what kind of defense he runs and explains well what the advantages and disadvantages are.

Belichek and Quinn have been using 4i for decades. Why is the scheme not working for the Rams any more now? You think the chargers putting Bosa in 4i is a good idea?

Zman5

Reaction score
Belichek and Quinn have been using 4i for decades. Why is the scheme not working for the Rams any more now? You think the chargers putting Bosa in 4i is a good idea?

As I said, you can say you don't like the scheme but to say the video explaining the scheme sucks is just dumb.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
As I said, you can say you don't like the scheme but to say the video explaining the scheme sucks is just dumb.

Saying using your DE as 4i is new is wrong. Saying Quinn used a 1 gap scheme is wrong.

It is what it is.

Zman5

Reaction score
So his scheme is nothing new to worry about.

And what does that have to do with anything? Stop trying to change the argument. I get it. You don't like the scheme. That doesn't make the video explaining the scheme bad.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I actually like using 4i. I don't like both de being 4i as being presented anything new to worry about.

We're running all over the chargers front in the first quarter.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
A) Chargers were using a 4-3 front that doesn't use 4i like the video in the OP.

B) 200 yards on the ground at 6.5 a pop.

C) Quinn already will cheat a 2 gapping DE to 4i if the DE is giving too much of a cutback bubble around the B gap.