Gosselin: Go ahead, play GM for a sec

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Rick Gosselin: Go ahead, play GM for a sec

11:07 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 9, 2005

I got pretty good response to last week’s query: If you could have any one NFL player at any position other than quarterback, who would it be?

E-mailer Brett Atkins wanted a pass rusher, specifically Julius Peppers of the Carolina Panthers. Zachary Kretchmer also liked the pass rusher, either Peppers or Dwight Freeney of the Colts. He says, “After quarterback, the best pass rusher is the next hardest player to find.” No argument there.

Along the same lines, Chris Ziegler wanted Lawrence Taylor. The 1980s, sure, but not the 2000s.

Jarret Cummings liked Randy Moss because “single-handedly he can change the complexion of a game.” Philip Anderson liked cornerback Chris McAlister of Baltimore: “Good secondary play a must.” Andrew Kahn liked running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Jeff Box had the most creative choice – the league’s best punter, whomever he may be. Says Box: “He makes the opposing offense go the whole field to score and, with a decent defense, your offense gets a shorter field. Next I would want a great kicker.” So let’s pencil him in with Oakland punter Shane Lechler and New England kicker Adam Vinatieri.

I believe you win in the NFL at the cornerstone positions: quarterback, running back, wide receiver, left tackle, pass rusher and cover corner. So I’d select my player from that group of positions. That, of course, would eliminate a Ray Lewis (MLB), Tony Gonzalez (TE), Ed Reed (SS), Will Shields (G) and Shaun Rogers (DT).

Now if I had an existing team with some pieces already in place, I’d probably take the pass rusher. Peppers and Freeney would be the choices. I’d probably go with Peppers because he’s bigger, plays the strongside and can give you more against the run than Freeney. Defense, I still believe, wins championships.

But if I was starting a team from scratch, I’d go with the running back. If you can run the ball, that takes the heat off your quarterback and your defense.

The year Emmitt Smith won his first rushing title and Dallas won its first Super Bowl of that era, in 1992, the Cowboys finished first in the NFL in defense. That’s because they only had to play 26 minutes per game. The Cowboys were able to control the clock with Smith’s legs.

The running back I’d select has already been mentioned. I think Tomlinson is the most complete back in the game. In 2003, Tomlinson finished third in the NFL in rushing with 1,645 yards and became just the second back in NFL history to catch 100 passes in a season – yet wasn’t even selected to the Pro Bowl. That’s the standard he’s set for himself.

Here’s a couple of other questions I’ve received from e-mailers:

Has Kansas City made enough strides on defense to compete for a Super Bowl?

When you rank first in the NFL in offense, you don’t have to overwhelm people on defense. Just offer up some resistance.

The Chiefs didn’t do that last season, finishing 31st in the NFL. All Kansas City has to do is get into the teens on defense to contend, and I think they’ve made the necessary improvements to do that. They could have six new starters, including Pro Bowl cornerback Patrick Surtain and top draft pick Derrick Johnson, the Butkus Award winner from Texas.

Frankly, I think any of the four teams in the AFC West can win the division. There isn’t another division more balanced or more competitive than this one. These old AFL rivals hate each other. It makes for some entertaining Sunday afternoons.

Another question from Robert in Louisville: Is Mike Shanahan feeling any heat in Denver?

He certainly should be. He hasn’t won a playoff game since John Elway retired after the 1998 season. But back-to-back Super Bowl championships can build a coach a safety zone. Shula won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1972-73 and didn’t win again in his final 22 years of coaching. Shanahan gave Broncos owner Pat Bowlen two Lombardi Trophies, so when he leaves it is likely to be on his terms.

E-mail rgosselin@***BANNED-URL***

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the Broncos having a losing season this year, Shanahan may be in trouble. I don't see how they improved their team from last year. Adding Cleveland's defensive line may make them worse.