Gov. Bush criticizes NCAA ban on FSU's nickname

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush criticized NCAA officials on Tuesday for their decision to penalize Florida State for using an American Indian nickname and symbols, saying they instead insulted the university and a proud Seminole Tribe of Florida.

The NCAA's finding that the school's Seminoles nickname is "hostile and offensive," instead of honoring American Indians has the opposite effect, the governor said, because the tribe supports the school's use of its name.

"I think it's offensive to native Americans ... the Seminole Indian tribe who support the traditions of FSU," Bush said on his way into a Cabinet meeting. "I think they insult those people by telling them, 'No, no, you're not smart enough to understand this. You should be feeling really horrible about this.' It's ridiculous."

Meanwhile, attorney Barry Richard, who successfully led the legal challenge on behalf of Republican George W. Bush in the 2000 presidential recount in Florida, has agreed to represent the school in its case against the NCAA, Florida State President T.K. Wetherell said Wednesday.

"We recognize this is an emotional issue in Florida, and in other parts of the country there are people who feel just as strongly being opposed," NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said Tuesday. "We believe this decision was made on sound ground legally though as I said before there is an appeal process in place."

The school's board of trustees are scheduled to meet Wednesday in emergency session to discuss elements of its formal response to the NCAA.

The university has until Feb. 1 to make a formal appeal to the NCAA executive committee.

Florida State, Illinois and Utah are among 18 schools with an American Indian nickname or logo that will be prohibited by the NCAA from displaying them in postseason events, starting in February.

The nicknames will not be allowed on team uniforms and mascots will not be allowed to perform at games, the NCAA announced Friday. Cheerleaders and band members will also be barred from using American Indians on their uniforms beginning in 2008.

The costuming and rigging of the school's symbols, Chief Osceola and the Appaloosa horse, Renegade, are designed by the Seminole Indian Tribe of Florida.

Bush said he fully agrees with Wetherell, who will sue the NCAA if their decision on the use of Seminoles is not rescinded.

"How politically correct can we get?" Bush asked. "The folks that make these decisions need to get out more often."

"If you have the Seminole Tribe and Gov. Bush on your side, how can you go wrong?" Florida State University Vice President Lee Hinkle said Wednesday.

Bush said the NCAA must have better things to do that sit around worrying about the nicknames adopted by its member institutions.

"You know what they ought to be worried about? The graduation rates of most college athletes," the second-term Florida governor said. "Maybe if they had some suggestions on that, that universities could apply and could implement, they could be doing a service to all of us."

Williams noted that student-athletes, on the average, graduate at a higher rate than the average student.

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush criticized NCAA officials on Tuesday for their decision to penalize Florida State for using an American Indian nickname and symbols, saying they instead insulted the university and a proud Seminole Tribe of Florida.

The NCAA's finding that the school's Seminoles nickname is "hostile and offensive," instead of honoring American Indians has the opposite effect, the governor said, because the tribe supports the school's use of its name.

"I think it's offensive to native Americans ... the Seminole Indian tribe who support the traditions of FSU," Bush said on his way into a Cabinet meeting. "I think they insult those people by telling them, 'No, no, you're not smart enough to understand this. You should be feeling really horrible about this.' It's ridiculous."

Meanwhile, attorney Barry Richard, who successfully led the legal challenge on behalf of Republican George W. Bush in the 2000 presidential recount in Florida, has agreed to represent the school in its case against the NCAA, Florida State President T.K. Wetherell said Wednesday.

"We recognize this is an emotional issue in Florida, and in other parts of the country there are people who feel just as strongly being opposed," NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said Tuesday. "We believe this decision was made on sound ground legally though as I said before there is an appeal process in place."

The school's board of trustees are scheduled to meet Wednesday in emergency session to discuss elements of its formal response to the NCAA.

The university has until Feb. 1 to make a formal appeal to the NCAA executive committee.

Florida State, Illinois and Utah are among 18 schools with an American Indian nickname or logo that will be prohibited by the NCAA from displaying them in postseason events, starting in February.

The nicknames will not be allowed on team uniforms and mascots will not be allowed to perform at games, the NCAA announced Friday. Cheerleaders and band members will also be barred from using American Indians on their uniforms beginning in 2008.

The costuming and rigging of the school's symbols, Chief Osceola and the Appaloosa horse, Renegade, are designed by the Seminole Indian Tribe of Florida.

Bush said he fully agrees with Wetherell, who will sue the NCAA if their decision on the use of Seminoles is not rescinded.

"How politically correct can we get?" Bush asked. "The folks that make these decisions need to get out more often."

"If you have the Seminole Tribe and Gov. Bush on your side, how can you go wrong?" Florida State University Vice President Lee Hinkle said Wednesday.

Bush said the NCAA must have better things to do that sit around worrying about the nicknames adopted by its member institutions.

"You know what they ought to be worried about? The graduation rates of most college athletes," the second-term Florida governor said. "Maybe if they had some suggestions on that, that universities could apply and could implement, they could be doing a service to all of us."

Williams noted that student-athletes, on the average, graduate at a higher rate than the average student.

And with this news, the Gator Nation is coming up with a BUNCH of substitute names for the 'Noles. :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:
And with this news, the Gator Nation is coming up with a BUNCH of substitute names for the 'Noles. :D

I'm sure you guys are. LOL Although you better watch out PETA may want your team to change their name. LOL

Gatorgirl

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm sure you guys are. LOL Although you better watch out PETA may want your team to change their name. LOL

Yeah, I was afraid of that! :eek:

LOL

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gatorgirl said:
Yeah, I was afraid of that! :eek:

LOL

We live in a very sensitive time in our history, frankly I'm tired of all the thin skinned people out there today. Teams pick mascots they are proud of not as a means to insult others.

royhitshard

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
We live in a very sensitive time in our history, frankly I'm tired of all the thin skinned people out there today. Teams pick mascots they are proud of not as a means to insult others.
I could not agree more! :bang2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is rediculous to the point of stupidity.

What was it Bosworth said about the NCAA? National Communists Against Athletes.

Hummm...........