Graziano: NFCE Post-Draft Chat *Cowboys*

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jae (California)

As a Boys fan, why not draft more than 1 Olinemen Dan? why keep adding "projects" and players at skill positions when the team's biggest weakness is it's line by far?
Dan Graziano(12:01 PM)

Had the Cowboys picked a tackle or guard in the second or third round, it would have been hard to fault the pick. As you say, the need is that significant. But I can't say a team that spent its first-rounder on offensive line failed to do enough to address it. There are still right tackle possibilities on the market, and Frederick should make a big impact as the starter at center or one of the guard spots.

Gary (New York City)

Dan, just wondering if you have much information on where Justin Pugh might have been ranked on other team's draft boards? I ask because I would love to know if it would have been possible for the Giants have grabbed Desmond Trufant in round 1 and still gotten Justin Pugh in round 2...
Dan Graziano(12:05 PM)

My guess is that Pugh would have been the Bears' pick at 20, and if not then he likely would have been the Cowboys' pick at 31.

Dan (Miami)

Plz tell me Dallas isn't planning on musical charis with Parnell and Free again this year or that 1 of them is going to be entrusted to win the RT job? Winston and Clabo are oh-so more reliable than those jokers. Can't Dallas restructure 1 more contract to open up enough cash to sign one of those guys?
Dan Graziano(12:10 PM)

Sure. Until those guys sign elsewhere, they remain possibilities in Dallas. And after June 1, they get the $7 million savings on Free if they cut him. So maybe it's a matter of waiting just a few more weeks.

Colin (Pennsylvania)

You're probably getting a lot of these emails today, but what on earth was Dallas doing taking a guy that high who was no different than say a Barrett Jones of Alabama(who played in a much better conference btw). Wouldn't a guy like Cyprien made more sense at 31? And we haven't even mentioned the hosing Dallas got by only getting a 3rd rounder.
Dan Graziano(12:16 PM)

Obviously, they thought Frederick was better than Barrett Jones. Different teams value different players differently.

Hank Hill (Arlington)

Dan, when the Cowboys traded down, I was thinking to myself god dang it just take the guy from Folorida. But when they drafted friedrich I just lost and yelled BAWH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think it is time for Jerry to step down?
Dan Graziano(12:22 PM)

I don't understand "step down." He owns the team.

Derrin (Plano, TX)

Was it a mistake for the Cowboys not to draft Matt Elam, or another safety early in the draft?
Dan Graziano(12:23 PM)

No, I really think they had to get an offensive lineman in the first round.

Gene (DC)

Draft is over. Most of the free agents are signed. What do you see as the biggest remaining hole on each roster?
Dan Graziano(12:29 PM)

Cowboys: Right tackle. Giants: Linebacker. Commanders: Safety. Eagles: Quarterback.

Jason (Denver)

Thoughts on Terrence Williams? No. 3 this year and taking over for Austin in the next couple?
Dan Graziano(12:33 PM)

As I understand it, Williams is a vertical threat -- a big-play downfield guy who may be able to bump Austin inside when they go three-wide. We'll see if he can show enough ability to get behind the defense to make him usable as a rookie. But I don't think he projects as Miles Austin.

tim (toledo oh)

why did the cowboys take a center and not a guard? I thought that costa did a good job when he played and cook filled in well. was guard a more pressing need? or center?
Dan Graziano(12:34 PM)

See, this is one of the reasons I like the pick. Frederick can play center or guard, as can Costa. So you take a guy in Frederick who is now putting pressure on three players -- Costa, Livings and Bernadeau -- to beat him out. If he outplays any one of them in camp, he can take his position. Gives them options.

G-Money (Chicago, IL)

Greetings Dan - With Frederick now in the fold, what's your prediction on who will be the starting five on the Cowboys' O-line in September?
Dan Graziano(12:40 PM)

Smith, Livings, Frederick, Costa and a right tackle not yet on the team.

Bert (St. Paul, MN)

What is your take on Joseph Randle backing up DeMarco Murray?
Dan Graziano(12:40 PM)

I like the Randle pick. I think they needed to find someone who'd shown durability in college, and he has.

Steve (Arkansas)

What do you think the next step is for Anthony Spencer?? Trade him or long term deal?
Dan Graziano(12:42 PM)

I don't think they can trade him. I think he ends up there long-term. They seem to be kind of all-in on Spencer.

Pat (St. Louis) [via mobile]

Except Randle has a thumb issue that will limit him in OTA's. But that's what I love about you Dan.....your attention to detail.
Dan Graziano(12:43 PM)

He didn't miss a single game in college.

gratcliffe (Lake Forest, CA)

Any insight about Dallas signing E.Winston? Looks like it should be something that happens soon.
Dan Graziano(12:44 PM)

I thought I heard they liked Tyson Clabo better.

Sean (VA)

Thoughts on Romo having more say in the gameplan?
Dan Graziano(12:44 PM)

Makes sense to me. They're certainly invested heavily enough in him. He seems to want the responsibility. His teammates listen to him. Why not?

Jae (California)

why do "bloggers" keep saying Frederick would have been there at 47? Top rated Center in the draft, was I the only one who watched OLinemen fly off the board at the top of the 1st?
Dan Graziano(12:45 PM)

There was nothing going on Thursday night to make anyone feel comfortable about waiting a round for the offensive lineman they liked.

G-Money (Chicago, IL)

I thought the knock on Costa was that he's too smallish at center, which is why we needed bigger guards (Livings and Bernardeau) beside him. If that's the case, why would he be any better as a guard?
Dan Graziano(12:46 PM)

I think the knock on Costa is that he can't stay healthy. He played well last year when he actually played.

Pete (Pala)

Who will be the surprise player an NFC East team drafted this year. Of course last year was alfred morris.
Dan Graziano(12:49 PM)

Joseph Randle?

Joeytexas) [via mobile]

Joseph randle surprise player? Wouldnt that mean murray gets demoted?
Dan Graziano(12:52 PM)

Well, or hurt.

Ray Finkle (Miami)

First time, long time. (thats a lie) Which team in the NFC East has the best equipped and starter caliber Back Up QB in your opinion?
Dan Graziano(12:57 PM)

I think the Cowboys.

gratcliffe (Lake Forest, CA)

What's your take on JJ's comments that he's following the blueprint the Pats laid out - empahsis on explosive offense, less concern with defense. Thanks for taking my question, Dan.
Dan Graziano(12:59 PM)

The Cowboys think their defense will improve if its health does. Lee, Carter, Ratliff, Church... they believe they have the personnel but lost too many key players to injury last year.

See the rest: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47761/nfl-with-dan-graziano

TheKey

Faster than Felix
Reaction score
Thanks for the summary. I am hoping our O-Line shakes out to be Smith-Kowalowski-Frederick-Costa-Clabo

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
TheKey;5073704 said:
Thanks for the summary. I am hoping our O-Line shakes out to be Smith-Kowalowski-Frederick-Costa-Clabo

I like Smith Costa Fred Livings Clabo OR Smith Moore Fred Livings Parnell.