Great Article that has ES all fired up . . .

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
This guy makes a lot of sense . . . but all they can do at ES is call him an "idiot" and question why he has the audacity to "lecture Joe Gibbs" . . .

lmao . . .

From Steve Czaban's website (www.czabe.com):

Gibbs and Free Agency

I had a rather uncomfortable exchange with Joe Gibbs on our final installment of his radio show on Monday on WTEM. At issue, was whether the Commanders had enjoyed a “successful” free agent off-season. Gibbs, vigorously defended the past winter, citing examples of Marcus Washington (Pro Bowl), Cornelius Griffin (shouda Pro Bowl), Shawn Springs (shoulda) and other lesser hits like Philip Daniels, Joe Salavae, and punter Tom Tupa (whatever). He said in essence, that if they can have another off-season like that, they are going to be very happy doing so once again. I also asked point blank, if the payroll (last year an NFL record $120 million) would go up, or down next season. His answer: “It’s never going to go down.” Uh oh. He then went on to explain how the salary cap means “everyone has the same amount of money.” While technically true, Gibbs is missing the point. What the Commanders have, is a long string of contract money that extends into the future. This is the product of players who WILL have huge, unworkable “cap numbers” in the near or immediate future. Chris Samuels is a perfect example (10M plus in 2005). If the salary cap is your stomach, then it’s true, everybody at the NFL talent buffet can only eat so much. But teams that order huge platefuls of food, end up in the ****ter sooner or later. I tried one last time to get him on point, by remarking that even thought it was nice that the free agent class panned out pretty well (of course, excluding the Brunell fiasco, which could be argued, negates much of the off-season player “smarts”) you are “still paying retail” for players. Gibbs responded with a shrug and a “I don’t know what this means.” Uncomfortable now, I didn’t want to lecture him that successful teams in this league now, are ones that maximize the production-per-dollar of their players. More good players, at a cheaper rate, means better depth and increased odds of winning. See Patriots. See Eagles. I don’t pretend to know more about FOOTBALL than Joe Gibbs. Hardly. But I do know that the current Commanders approach is a failed and discredited one in the league. While it may (stress MAY) produce a short term burst when the “stars align”, it is no recipe for long term success. Sadly, Gibbs has indicated with his actions and approach, that he’s not in this for the long term, and not real interested in developing a couple of years of deep draft talent.

Commanders Checklist

So as we Commander fans embark on another off-season (where, by the way, I calculate we have “won” the months of Jan-Apr now 3 of the last 4 years) I put the following items on the to-do list. 1) Re-sign Fred Smoot and Antonio Pierce. Crucial players, great Commanders. Pay it. If Samuels won’t redo his deal (again) then you’ll have to bite the bullet and let him go. 2) Restore discipline. It was great that nobody “pointed fingers” this year as things went badly, but the amount of idiotic penalties was actually WORSE than Spurrier. Get professional, and start by telling Sean Taylor that he needs to take that **** off his facemask, and be a team player in both uniform and body. 3) Find team leaders. I am not sure who is this team’s “center of gravity.” Ramsey is too young, and not good enough to be that guy. Portis too irresponsible. Levar too hurt. Smoot has been the most reliable “leader” we’ve had in years. Find these guys, and let them run your lockeroom. They’ll get Taylor’s tricked out facemask fixed in a hurry. 4) Work hard on fixing game management. Watch lots of OTHER games this summer, Coach, and see where it makes sense to call timeouts, and when not to. Watch what plays typically get overturned on replay, and which ones don’t. There were mistakes this year in basic game management, that even my MOM recognized. We must improve.

Kool Aid Watch

So last add Commanders, I bet you wonder if I see the glass as “half full” or “half empty.” Well, I want the Kool Aid to be half full, but this year has been sobering with Gibbs in a number of regards. For one, he’s a stubborn ol’ cuss these days, which I guess you can be when your bust is in Canton, and you are the highest paid coach in the NFL. That has its merits, but can also be fatal. We’ll see how much he “evolves” with the scheme in the offseason. (shotgun, anybody?) If he can move the scoring offense up 15 spots from 29th next season, they could be good, providing the defense doesn’t slip. And that shouldn’t happen, but anything is possible. Dallas went from #1 in D last season, to lower third this year. Teams might better figure out Williams’ blitzing scheme. I wouldn’t count on the D being Top-3 again next season, for the simple reason that its just hard to do. Top-10 is more realistic. And then so much is on Ramsey. If he plugs along, and continues to get better, it could be a great year. If he regresses, stalls, or gets hurt, all bets are off. Gibbs says Brunell is waiting as the backup QB, and his re-introduction would be disaster. Unlike last year when I said “12-4 and I don’t know how they’ll lose four” I am going to say 8-8, until proven otherwise in either direction.

Henry

Reaction score
Czaban is a local sports radio guy who's a well known pot-stirrer. While I think he actually has a decent point or two in that rant, those who are familiar with his methods take everything he says with a grin of salt. And rightfully so. I see Dallas columnists get smacked around this board from time to time. This is no different.