Greatest Draft In NFL History (1983)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This was fun to watch so posting it here. 42 future pro bowlers in the draft, along with many HOF players and stars. It was also the time of USFL.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Imagine how Cowboys History would look if the Elway-to-Dallas trade wasn't snatched away at the 11th hour by the Colts owner at the time.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Imagine how Cowboys History would look if the Elway-to-Dallas trade wasn't snatched away at the 11th hour by the Colts owner at the time.
can you tell more about that? dont remember that, and nothing in the vid about it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I have heard conflicting stories about that; I was watching the draft that day and cannot remember hearing anything then. Of course this was back in the dark ages and things were a lot easier to hide.

RoboQB

Reaction score
can you tell more about that? dont remember that, and nothing in the vid about it.
Check out the documentary called Elway to Marino.
It's all in there. They interview Elway and his agent among others regarding the proposal. Colts owner, Robert Irsay, vetoed the whole thing.

By the way, in another draft story, Jerry Rice was nearly drafted by Dallas. Essentially, the Cincinnati Bengals indirectly caused that to get screwed up by drafting Eddie Brown. I'll let you enjoy digging that one up.

Let me know what you think of the Elway to Marino documentary when you're done.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Check out the documentary called Elway to Marino.
It's all in there. They interview Elway and his agent among others regarding the proposal. Colts owner, Robert Irsay, vetoed the whole thing.

By the way, in another draft story, Jerry Rice was nearly drafted by Dallas. Essentially, the Cincinnati Bengals indirectly caused that to get screwed up by drafting Eddie Brown. I'll let you enjoy digging that one up.

Let me know what you think of the Elway to Marino documentary when you're done.
wow imagine if dallas had got Rice and Elway ! lol Then build around those guys.

Flamma

Reaction score
We could have had Montana and Singletary as well; and passed on Rodgers
Every team has these kinds of stories
To me, passing on Rodgers was ridiculous. I understand drafting Ware. But when he fell to us on our 2nd pick in the first round, passing on him was stupid. We had a stop gap QB at the time. He was not the QB that got them to the SB in '96. And at the time, no one knew Romo was any good.

gtb1943

Reaction score
To me, passing on Rodgers was ridiculous. I understand drafting Ware. But when he fell to us on our 2nd pick in the first round, passing on him was stupid. We had a stop gap QB at the time. He was not the QB that got them to the SB in '96. And at the time, no one knew Romo was any good.
QB never seemed that important to BP; you look at who he won SBs with and its understandable. I think Bledsoe was the only first rd QB he ever picked but I am not sure

and let us be very honest; Rodgers was bypassed by a LOT of teams

Flamma

Reaction score
QB never seemed that important to BP; you look at who he won SBs with and its understandable. I think Bledsoe was the only first rd QB he ever picked but I am not sure

and let us be very honest; Rodgers was bypassed by a LOT of teams
Yeah, I'm guessing Bill didn't want to deal with a rookie since he knew his time there was limited. But ended up benching Drew the following year.

If I remember correctly, it was either him or Alex Smith. Had the 49ers taken Rodgers, Smith falls. Not a lot of teams were desperate for a QB.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm guessing Bill didn't want to deal with a rookie since he knew his time there was limited. But ended up benching Drew the following year.

If I remember correctly, it was either him or Alex Smith. Had the 49ers taken Rodgers, Smith falls. Not a lot of teams were desperate for a QB.
the desperation for QBs has increased tenfold since then

Flamma

Reaction score
the desperation for QBs has increased tenfold since then
Yeah, anyone with a pulse will be paid market value. I think the reason is because the league has gone from trying to win a championship to just being good. That's how they make money, so that's all they care about.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't know. Dallas was on the decline after a bad ending to that 1983 season. Even with Elway, I don't think they were good enough to win a SB in the next 5 or so years. Even if they still blow it up with Jimmy Johnson in '89, can we hope for more than 3 super bowls from '90 through '94?

gtb1943

Reaction score
I don't know. Dallas was on the decline after a bad ending to that 1983 season. Even with Elway, I don't think they were good enough to win a SB in the next 5 or so years. Even if they still blow it up with Jimmy Johnson in '89, can we hope for more than 3 super bowls from '90 through '94?
by 1984 the team was aging in too many areas and the draft was not going well
Bum Bright was cutting expenses for coaching staff and scouting
the steady decline was not going to stop because we got a top QB.