Greatest Trio of All Time

DBoys

Reaction score
This will be easily debated when Irvin and Emmitt go into the HOF. That's why there is only one set of triplets and the others don't measure up.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Unitas, Berry, and Moore were the first triplets IMO and are arguably the greatest ever. Obviously our triplets are up there, too and I wouldn't argue long with anyone who says they are the greatest.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
If James hadn't left the Colts, you could have Manning, Harrison, and James triplets. Well, even though he did leave they still had a full seven years together. From 1999 forward (besides the 2001/02 when James was hurt) James spit out at least 1,200 yards a season and at least 9 TDs, Harrison had at least 1,100 yard receiving with at at least 10 TDs, and Payton had at least 3,700 yards passing with at least 26 TDs. Not to shabby and easily comparable to Emmitt, Irving, and Aikman.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Our Triplets were the significant component for 3 SB victories and one NFC championship loss to a cheating 49ers team. They symbolized victory.

They were the best ever.

The most current Colts' "triplets" never won anything. I'm not sure about the earlier Colts' version, but I'm pretty sure they didn't maintain the status that ours did.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Staubach, Pearson/Hill, and Dorsett.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Montana, Rice and Craig are also damned impressive. The best QB ever the best WR ever and one of the most underrated backs of the 80's thrown in. All have three Superbowl rings between them, except Montana who has four.

What makes the Cowboys' Triplets so special was how they much like true triplets all "grew up" together, one being drafted right after the other. They so perfectly complemented the other and obvisously elevated each others' games.

You didn't feel that way with the 49ers' trio, as the three gained rings together in 88 and 89 but received their 3rd independent of the others. Craig and Montana got a ring together in 1984, Montana got one in 1981, and Rice got one much later in 1994 (thanks to the biggest non PI call in NFL history).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Our Triplets were the significant component for 3 SB victories and one NFC championship loss to a cheating 49ers team. They symbolized victory.

They were the best ever.

The most current Colts' "triplets" never won anything. I'm not sure about the earlier Colts' version, but I'm pretty sure they didn't maintain the status that ours did.

Actually, they were very simular to our Triplets.

In 1954 Weeb Eubanks was hired as HC of the then Baltimore Colts. In 1957, the Colts enjoyed there first .500 season and laid down 14 consecutive winning season spanning from 57 to 70. Under both Eubanks and Shula, the Colts won 4 Conference Championships (58, 59, 64 and 68) winning 3 NFL Championships (58, 59 and 68). The Championship game of 58 between the Colts and the Giants, an OT affair that the Colts won 23-17, is still considered the Greatest Game in Pro Football History, by many.

If you look at those Colts, it's actually very remarkable how simular there success and ours were.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
triplets.jpg