Greatly improved Special Teams?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Not just looking at Mike Vanderjagt and Mat McBriar (who could both go to the pro bowl next year).

But the acquisitions we've made in addition to what we already have lead me to believe we're going to have a hellish special teams unit.

Rocky Boiman, Keith Davis (full time special teams, when we get a Free Safety), Ryan Hannam, and the return of Justin Beriault too. I bet Kevin Burnett will even contribute greatly to our special teams, hopefully more so to our linebacker corps.

Assuming Tom Crowder can make the team, we would be even better. The dude is a special teams cannon.

-- I still really hope we can add someone like Jerald Sowell who is a beast on special teams in addition to being a good lead blocker. Don't know why we haven't moved on him, but hopefully we make a move after the draft or before training camp if we don't find someone better.

Manster68

Reaction score
Very true Galian.

This is another reason why I would love to see Dallas get Manny Lawson. He thrives on special teams as well.

If Dallas makes room for Crowder on their roster, then I would have to believe that the Cowboys are finished upgrading the wide receiver position. I do not think that is the case.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
Not just looking at Mike Vanderjagt and Mat McBriar (who could both go to the pro bowl next year).

But the acquisitions we've made in addition to what we already have lead me to believe we're going to have a hellish special teams unit.

Rocky Boiman, Keith Davis (full time special teams, when we get a Free Safety), Ryan Hannam, and the return of Justin Beriault too. I bet Kevin Burnett will even contribute greatly to our special teams, hopefully more so to our linebacker corps.

Assuming Tom Crowder can make the team, we would be even better. The dude is a special teams cannon.

-- I still really hope we can add someone like Jerald Sowell who is a beast on special teams in addition to being a good lead blocker. Don't know why we haven't moved on him, but hopefully we make a move after the draft or before training camp if we don't find someone better.
That was Crowder's rep out of college but I have not really seen that here. He made one very spectacular play last year and the rest of the time he was a no show. I hope he can get back his old college form if he even makes the team.

Getting all of those guys on ST should really help. Now all we need is someone to coach them because DeHaven is about the worst excuse for a ST coach we've ever had.

cleverusername

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
That was Crowder's rep out of college but I have not really seen that here. He made one very spectacular play last year and the rest of the time he was a no show. I hope he can get back his old college form if he even makes the team.

Getting all of those guys on ST should really help. Now all we need is someone to coach them because DeHaven is about the worst excuse for a ST coach we've ever had.

I always loved Coach Joe.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
cleverusername said:
I always loved Coach Joe.
Yeah Coach Joe was great but unfortunately he won't be back as long as Parcells is here.

But there has to be a ton of guys who could beat DeHaven...I just don't see why he is still here. :confused:

cleverusername

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Yeah Coach Joe was great but unfortunately he won't be back as long as Parcells is here.

But there has to be a ton of guys who could beat DeHaven...I just don't see why he is still here. :confused:

I thought he was supposed to be one of the best out there when he came in. Everyone said he had created great special teams in Buffalo for years. Guess not. Where is Bill Bates? I bet he could fire some guys up and become a good SP coach.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Galian Beast said:
Greatly improved Special Teams?
I don't think there is any question we should have one of the best overall special teams in the league next year. There was a big emphasis on special teams during the Jimmy Johnson years. That has faded away in recent years but now we look pretty strong again.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:

Sadly, I think Crowder's playing himself out of the league over in NFL Europe... he has one catch in 2 games, for 5 yards... nor will 2 special teams tackles, 1 unassisted, one assisted...

Since the Boys look like they might have to carry an extra kicker for kickoffs, I rather doubt that Parcells will be willing to keep another player around who can only contribute on special teams...

Now, Lenny Williams isn't playing too badly for the Galaxy, he has 7 tackles and 3 passes defensed so far... hasn't been much on kickoff returns, though, with 2 for 28 yards...

So far, I'd have to give Drew a B+ for his play to date, maybe an A-; Williams will get a C+/B-, Crowder would have to get a D...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Sadly, I think Crowder's playing himself out of the league over in NFL Europe... he has one catch in 2 games, for 5 yards... nor will 2 special teams tackles, 1 unassisted, one assisted...
Crowder would have to get a D...

Looks like next stop - Arena League.