Grizz and the Oline

ejthedj

Reaction score
I think Grizz has man-love for Bledsoe. Just read the post, he says his name like 20 times.

And he blames Olinemen for plays that Bledsoe clearly screwed up -- for instance, the first int where he held the ball for over 5 seconds. That's good oline, not bad.

Then, he faults olinemen for making Bledsoe move a step or for when Bledsoe actually threw the ball quickly (such as Colombo's first two "mistakes"). How can a completion be bad pass protection, esp if ur QB doesn't get hit?

Grizz was probably upset, like we all are, but I alos think he was looking to justify Bledsoe's game when he watched it a second time. Also, watching it in slow mo can be deceiving. I'd like to know how many of those "mistakes" came after Bledsoe should have gotten rid of the ball.

The Oline played pretty well. Not too bad for what we had last year. 2 sacks, pretty good rushing day, all while not winning TOP b/c our defense couldn't keep them off the field. We barely had the ball in the second half, and no one can say the line played poorly in the first half.

Bottom line is that we averaged 4.2 per rush and only gave up 2 sacks against one of the best Dlines in football.
After it rained and Bledsoe got hurt, our offense stunk. Before that, it was great. And it was all his fault -- no the oline. Sorry Grizz

Bledsoe held the ball too long on all the ints and sacks. A couple errors against a great defense is understandable. They deserve a C+, maybe a B-. It would be a solid B if not for the stupid penalties.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree about the line and Bledsoe thing.

Bledsoe had time to throw the football yesterday and he just made poor poor decisions and wasn't even accurate.

I think Bledsoe is a really good QB but he obviously was off yesterday. WAY off.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
God forbid if a QB has to step to the side a bit or roll out just a tad, or move around just a bit (every now and then ) to buy him time to get off a perfect pass.

Every game played in the NFL the last few days, Quarterbacks have had to move around at some point in the game to make a play. That excuse is dead!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
the line, while not "marvelous" yesterday, was "ok". drew just did a truck-load of stupid things i've never seen him do all in one game.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Clove said:
God forbid if a QB has to step to the side a bit or roll out just a tad, or move around just a bit (every now and then ) to buy him time to get off a perfect pass.

Every game played in the NFL the last few days, Quarterbacks have had to move around at some point in the game to make a play. That excuse is dead!

Some of these Drew fans think QBs do not get sacked, hurried or pressured. It only happens to poor Drew.

One day people are going to realize we are never going to be able to put the great wall of china around Drew. It aint going to happen.

wileedog

Reaction score
iceberg said:
the line, while not "marvelous" yesterday, was "ok". drew just did a truck-load of stupid things i've never seen him do all in one game.

The pressure this game was no worse than any number of games last year like SD or KC when Drew played well.

Bledsoe just imploded yesterday.

DMX690

Reaction score
That's the only reason i think Parcells is seriously considering replacing Bledsoe. Even the best offensive line in today game can not give his QB a perfect pocket every pass attempt. The Qb need to be able to move around and avoid the pressure.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
wileedog said:
The pressure this game was no worse than any number of games last year like SD or KC when Drew played well.

i'm not gonna say drew doesn't implode EVERY TIME there's pressure, but he sure seems to do it more often than not.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on O-Line play, but I have a general concept of what is going on. I think Grizz tends to expect the O-Line to play in a fashion that would make them the greatest O-Line ever. The pockets were good and clean for Bledsoe, but it seems like Grizz expects the O-Line to pancake defenders in pass protection...something that is rarely done. I'm not sure how Bledsoe "saves" Marc Colombo by taking a 3 or 5 step drop and hitting a short pass on his first or 2nd read, which pretty much indicates that is the way the passing play was set up.

And blaming Colombo for the first INT was ludicrous. Bledsoe just made a bad read and throw.

I generally like Bledsoe and I want him to do well. I've gone to bat for him on several occasions when it comes to people criticizing his play, but the O-Line wasn't at fault yesterday, Bledsoe just plainly played terrible.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
wileedog said:

The game against KC they Chiefs actually had great pressure on Bledsoe all game long. However, it was one of those rare games for Bledsoe were the pressure was heavy and he played excellent. Compared to the KC game, Bledsoe had light years to throw. In reality, he still had good pass protection out there.

I believe (and I hope I'm right) that Bledsoe just had a bad day due to the rain. He was making the same bad throws and then the bad decisions like he did last year against Seattle in the rain, another game he started off well and then stunk once it started to rain.

Still, you have to believe we'll be facing inclement weather again down the road, so even if Bledsoe plays much better in better conditions, it's still a major issue down the road.

YAKUZA