Guard not a high priority

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
I thought Kosier's contract was up this year, turns out he has 2 years left on his contract for pretty cheap cap wise.

So with him locked up for another 2 years and Davis locked up, I think we can forget about wanting Herman Johnson.

We should draft a backup in round 4 or 5 though since our line struggled when Kosier got hurt.

I wonder if we re-sign Columbo to a one year deal or something, I would like to replace him, I love Columbo and his attitude, but we have to get younger and can't keep re-signing all our vets with the limited cap space we have and.
I'd like to maybe get Phil Loadholt with our top pick and plug him in from day 1 to play nethe line to power run over everyone like we did the Skins.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ThatsmyQB;2434920 said:
I wonder if we re-sign Columbo to a one year deal or something, I would like to replace him, I love Columbo and his attitude
He will want a longer deal. His replacement will need to be found this off season.
DaBoys4Life;2435011 said:
IDK we can't stay with Proctor as a back up.
He is not the answer short or long term. We need to upgrade the #3 OG this off season.

With Flo's play slipping and Colombo's Cowboy future in question, I'm much more concerned about our OT situation than our OG.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2435112 said:
He will want a longer deal. His replacement will need to be found this off season.

He is not the answer short or long term. We need to upgrade the #3 OG this off season.

With Flo's play slipping and Colombo's Cowboy future in question, I'm much more concerned about our OT situation than our OG.

Big can always be moved to OT and have holland at RG. so it will be interesting to see what they do.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'd rather draft Herman Johnson if he slipped to us in the 2nd round than reach on a NT due to need. Herman Johnson is the prototype Cowboy linemen and would spend a year learnng before starting the next decade after that.

I agree G is not as big a need for us because we have Kosier, Leonard Davis, and Montrae Holland under contract. I would like to see us draft a G with more upside than Cory Proctor or Joe Berger.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2435011 said:
IDK we can't stay with Proctor as a back up.

Hence the reason I said "We should draft a backup in round 4 or 5 though since our line struggled when Kosier got hurt."

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2435176 said:
Big can always be moved to OT and have holland at RG. so it will be interesting to see what they do.

Screw that, Davis sucked as a tackle and made the pro-bowl as a guard, keep Davis at Guard and either use Free at R.T. or use our top pick on a R.T. like Loadholt if he falls to us, putting Loadholt next to Davis would really be exciting to see how good our running game would be with those 2 MONSTERS on the right side of our line.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2435387 said:
I'd rather draft Herman Johnson if he slipped to us in the 2nd round than reach on a NT due to need.

I wouldn't REACH for a N.T. either, but if we have Davis who's a pro-bowl guard and Kosier under contract for the next 2 years for a very good cap price, why would you want to use our top pick on a guard???

So instead of reachign for a N.T. you'd draft a guy at a position where we already have our starters in place?
I agree lets not reach for ANY osition and I think our past few drafts show that we dont reach for anybody anymore, with all the ammo of a lot of extra picks in the later rounds, we can maneuver around a lot to get good value in all our rounds, and if there's a good N.T. that might not be there when we pick, maybe we'll trade up, and if there's not a good one when we pick, we'll eiter pick a different position or trade down, I think the days of us reaching are long gone.

Herman Johnson is the prototype Cowboy linemen and would spend a year learnng before starting the next decade after that.

We are in a SUPERBOWL MODE right now, I don't want to use our top pick to sit on the bench the whole rookie year, I'd rathr draft someone like Raji who would come in from day 1 and be our starting N.T. allowing us to move Ratliff to D.E. since you only get so many chnaces to win a superbowl and we are so close I want all our picks to count and a lot of those picks to contribute right away, although I'd LOVE to have Johnson, I just don't see us drafting a guard with our top pick when are starters are set in place already.
I agree G is not as big a need for us because we have Kosier, Leonard Davis, and Montrae Holland under contract. I would like to see us draft a G with more upside than Cory Proctor or Joe Berger.

I think you'll see us take at LEAST one guard later in the draft in rounds 4-7, probably 2 and possibly 3 O-lineman overall.

I'd like to get 3 O-lineman and 3 D-lineman out of this draft.

On offense our SKILL position players are set in stone for a LONG TIME, so the only players we'll be drafting on offense the next few years will be O-line for the most part, and on defense, our corners are pretty much set and one safety posiiton is locked up, and both O.L.B. positions are locked up, so what I'd like to see us do this year is possibly take care of our other safety spot with a top pick, then really overload on the D-line with TWO BIG N.T.'s and one other D.T. who is a pass rusher who we can convert into a D.E., that way going into the 2010 draft our only needs should really only be I.L.B. and O-line.

With only limited needs at I.L.B. and possibly one O-lineman, I think we could then move up and try to get a STUD at I.L.B. and really improve this defense.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think Jerry will be moving up in this draft as well. 1) because he's Jerry and he likes to hear his name and see his face on ESPN. 2) because we have so many picks and not a whole lt of holes on the roster. 3) we are in Superbowl mode, so we neeed to add at least 1 IMPACT player through the draft.

That being said, if we are on the clock and we don't have any NT's, ILB's, or S's graded there but Herman Johnson is there, we take him. The argument about him sitting the bench goes right down the drain if a starting G gets hurt. I personally can not take 1 more play of Cory Proctor getting blown off the line. Kosier is signed for 2 more years but remember it's cheaper to cut a player in his final season (base+pro-rated salary bonus if he stays vs pro-rated bonus if he's cut) so we are 1-year away from possibly needing a replacement. I'd rather start a talented kid who had a year in our system than be scrambling in the draft for a replacement.

Also,Jerry wants to win now badly but he also never wants to go through the lean years we went through after our last SuperBowl caliber teams. If he can add a player who has the potential to develop into a star versus a guy who might play more now but has maxed out his ability, he could go with potential.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2435404 said:
Screw that, Davis sucked as a tackle and made the pro-bowl as a guard, keep Davis at Guard and either use Free at R.T. or use our top pick on a R.T. like Loadholt if he falls to us, putting Loadholt next to Davis would really be exciting to see how good our running game would be with those 2 MONSTERS on the right side of our line.

Davis at T is better than Free.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2434920 said:
I thought Kosier's contract was up this year, turns out he has 2 years left on his contract for pretty cheap cap wise.

So with him locked up for another 2 years and Davis locked up, I think we can forget about wanting Herman Johnson.

I don't think Johnson runs well enough to play OG for the Cowboys... I'd much prefer Duke Robinson (Oklahoma) that early in the draft...

We should draft a backup in round 4 or 5 though since our line struggled when Kosier got hurt.

Think Cedric Dockery (Texas), or Louis Vasquez (Texas Tech) in that range... other possibilities would be Kraig Urbik, Andy Kemp (both from Wisconsin) or Andy Levitre (Oregon State)... and later in the draft, a sleeper I really like is Tim Henderson from Northwestern State (Louisiana)... he's 6-3, 340 pounds and runs the 40 in under 5.3 seconds...

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2435449 said:
That being said, if we are on the clock and we don't have any NT's, ILB's, or S's graded there but Herman Johnson is there, we take him.

Disagree, we trade down in that case IMO!

The argument about him sitting the bench goes right down the drain if a starting G gets hurt.

But you don't use your TOP PICK on a position where you already have your starters in place for the next few years because they might get hurt, you're basically saying it's O.K. to use our top draft pick to be a BACKUP the next couple years.
If that's the case why not draft a Center with our top pick in case Gurode gets hurt, or draft an O.L.B. with our top pick in case Spencer or Ware gets hurt, you just don't do that with your top pick.
you want your top 2-3 picks to be potential starters their rookie year and use the other picks for depth as backups.

I personally can not take 1 more play of Cory Proctor getting blown off the line. Kosier is signed for 2 more years but remember it's cheaper to cut a player in his final season (base+pro-rated salary bonus if he stays vs pro-rated bonus if he's cut) so we are 1-year away from possibly needing a replacement. I'd rather start a talented kid who had a year in our system than be scrambling in the draft for a replacement.

He signed a 5 year 15 mil contract, so his cap hit can't be that much at all no matter how it's pro-rated.

Also,Jerry wants to win now badly but he also never wants to go through the lean years we went through after our last SuperBowl caliber teams. If he can add a player who has the potential to develop into a star versus a guy who might play more now but has maxed out his ability, he could go with potential.

I agree, but we have some needs that NEED to be adrressed next year such as N.T. and D-line overall and safety, so I can't see us using our top pick on anyhting BUT D-line or safety.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2435450 said:
Davis at T is better than Free.

Davis at tackle and whoever replaces Davis at guard is NOT gonna be better IMO then Davis at Guard and Free at tackle.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2435711 said:
I don't think Johnson runs well enough to play OG for the Cowboys... I'd much prefer Duke Robinson (Oklahoma) that early in the draft...

Only problem is that Robinson will be LONG GONE the time we pick, most have him in the 1st round in the 20-25 range.

Think Cedric Dockery (Texas), or Louis Vasquez (Texas Tech) in that range... other possibilities would be Kraig Urbik, Andy Kemp (both from Wisconsin) or Andy Levitre (Oregon State)... and later in the draft, a sleeper I really like is Tim Henderson from Northwestern State (Louisiana)... he's 6-3, 340 pounds and runs the 40 in under 5.3 seconds...

Yeah, I like Vasquez in round 4 or 5 a lot, I like Dockery too, don't know Kemp or Levitre, but will check them out, and Henderson sounds like a good prospect with his triangular numbers.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
"But you don't use your TOP PICK on a position where you already have your starters in place for the next few years because they might get hurt, you're basically saying it's O.K. to use our top draft pick to be a BACKUP the next couple years."

2008 1st round choices
Felix Jones RB
Mike Jenkins CB

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2437908 said:
"But you don't use your TOP PICK on a position where you already have your starters in place for the next few years because they might get hurt, you're basically saying it's O.K. to use our top draft pick to be a BACKUP the next couple years."

2008 1st round choices
Felix Jones RB
Mike Jenkins CB

TOTALLY Different, Be3cause a GUARD is NEVER gonna see the filed unless there's an injury where as Felix sees the field all the time as a returner plus getting about 10 carries a game to REALLY HELP our team as a rookie as you saw, where as a GUARD would not help AT ALL unless of an injury.

SAME for Jenkins, 1st off we probably know that this is Henry's last year and Jenkins would take over for him in his 2nd year, where as Kosier has TWO more years after this year, so the top pick woudn't see the field till his 3rd year and also like Felix, Jenkins would play a LOT as a rookie cause in this league you need 3 corners on a lot of defensive plays and you DO NOT NEED TWO Guards on offense at any given time EVER.

I hope you can see the difference between the two!