Guess TO Was a Steal

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
$49 million for Nate Burelson? are you kidding me....:lmao:

gbrittain

Reaction score
You have to read the fine print on that one. It is not that big of a contract.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:

Seattle is trying to play get back because Minnesota stole OG Steve Hutchinson. Nothing worse than sour grapes.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
It's only if he plays "X" amount of games in the state of Minnesota. It's a "poison pill" clause against Minny matching.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Even if he signs we paying TO more. He signed a 3 year, $25 mil contract = $8+ mil/year (average).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
It's only if he plays "X" amount of games in the state of Minnesota. It's a "poison pill" clause against Minny matching.

I've not kept up with the news much, and this "poison pill" stuff has me confused....!:confused:

Will you explain exactely what a "poison pill" clause is, please...

Thanks....

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
5Stars said:
I've not kept up with the news much, and this "poison pill" stuff has me confused....!:confused:

Will you explain exactely what a "poison pill" clause is, please...

Thanks....

If Burleson plays more than 5 games in the state of Minnesota, the entire contract is guaranteed. Also, if Burleson is getting paid more than the average salary of all of Minny's RBs then the entire contract is guaranteed.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cowboysfan31 said:
If Burleson plays more than 5 games in the state of Minnesota, the entire contract is guaranteed. Also, if Burleson is getting paid more than the average salary of all of Minny's RBs then the entire contract is guaranteed.

Thanks...but, why would he NOT play more then 5 games in Minny? I'm confused! (as usual)! :confused:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars said:
Thanks...but, why would he NOT play more then 5 games in Minny? I'm confused! (as usual)! :confused:
He would. That is the point. No way Minny would agree to a deal like that. Color him gone!

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
5Stars said:

If he is a Seahawk, then he would not play more than 5 games in Minny, and as a result, the guarantee would not kick in.

However, if the Vikings were to match the offer, they would also have to match the terms. In that case Burleson would be a Viking, and play more than 5 games in Minny. This would trigger that clause.

So, it's a clause that can only hurt if Burelson is a Minnesota Viking.

Poison pill.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
big dog cowboy said:
He would. That is the point. No way Minny would agree to a deal like that. Color him gone!

Oh....now I get it!

Thanks for the clarification! :star:

vicjagger

Reaction score
5Stars said:

If Minny keeps him, they would have to guarantee the entire 49 million, or de-activate him for at least half of their home games (and any home playoff games). If he plays in Seattle, he likely wont play 5 games in Minnesota, unless the Seahawks move to Minnetonka.

Thus the "pill" is poisin for the Vikings, but not the Seahawks.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thanks everyone....! Is there an article somewhere on the Zone about this? If so, can you tell me where it is at, or provide the link, please...

thanks...

jrumann59

Reaction score
He could play 5 games in Minny if the Seadogs play minny 5 times at minnesota.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
jrumann59 said:
He could play 5 games in Minny if the Seadogs play minny 5 times at minnesota.
And how would that work? They play a 16 game season. Has a team ever played another more than 2x during a given season?

Even if you suppose that it's for the life of the contract rather than on a per season basis, they are not even in the same division so there's virtually no chance the Seahawks play the Vikings in Minnesota more than five times over the course of the contract.

Taking it further, even if there WAS an outside chance that the five games in Minnesota limit could be reached, the contract would have to mostly paid out by then, making any additional guarantees irrelevant.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark said:
Oh, I finally get it.

Now that's funny.