Gunman Shoots Texas H.S. Football Coach

k19

Reaction score
Gunman Shoots Texas H.S. Football Coach

3 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Top Stories - AP

By LISA FALKENBERG, Associated Press Writer

CANTON, Texas - The father of a high school football player shot and wounded the team's coach with an assault rifle Thursday and fled in a pickup loaded with weapons, claiming to have a hit list, state officials said.

Schools in the district were locked down while police searched for the shooter, Jeffrey Doyle Robertson. His truck was found abandoned abut two hours after the shooting near a golf course outside Canton, and he was captured soon after, authorities said. No other details were available.

Gary Joe Kinne, who is also the Canton High School athletic director, was shot in the school's field house with an AK-47 rifle, according to the state's Homeland Security office. Kinne was airlifted to a hospital in nearby Tyler, but authorities were not releasing his condition. Police Chief Mike Echols said Kinne was shot in the chest.

Police were investigating a possible motive. Robertson had said he had a hit list, Homeland Security spokeswoman Sophie Yanez said.

Robertson had been banned from the Canton High School campus and told not to attend school functions, Echols said. Robertson had previous confrontations with some of the coaches, including Kinne, who took over the football program in 2003, authorities said. Kinne's son was the team's quarterback.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I serve as a peewee coach every season. I hate dealing with kids parents (especially being only 21 - I get no respect [thanks Rodney]).

This, however, moves me to consider practicing with a fence line.....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
They just caught the guy...

apparently his son was on the team and he was upset at the play calling last season...

I play golf in Canton from time to time... nice place... too bad this guy is an idiot...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I was reading that this morning. Stuff like that scares me...

Whenever I have to ref a game, they tell us to take a separate exit from the fans, cuz you never know what could happen. Shoot I've had a coach come up to me after a game, stick his finger in my face and yell at me and threaten me. It was not cool to say the least.

There are some nice fans; the kind who actually come up and compliment you on a good game. Then there are those fans who yell out stuff like "If I was your boss, I'd fire you for doing such a bad job"...lol Most of the time it's funny stuff like that. But since you never know, I just hustle out of the gym as fast as possible.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Yeah I was reading that this morning. Stuff like that scares me...

Whenever I have to ref a game, they tell us to take a separate exit from the fans, cuz you never know what could happen. Shoot I've had a coach come up to me after a game, stick his finger in my face and yell at me and threaten me. It was not cool to say the least.

There are some nice fans; the kind who actually come up and compliment you on a good game. Then there are those fans who yell out stuff like "If I was your boss, I'd fire you for doing such a bad job"...lol Most of the time it's funny stuff like that. But since you never know, I just hustle out of the gym as fast as possible.

I had a dad shove me. Luckily, another of the fathers came and pulled him back. He was subsequently banned from my practices and told that if I hear anything from him during a game, he will be kicked out. The league enforced the decision, so I was happy.

Sad thing is, his kid has all the talent in the world. He needed a discipline session (who doesn't) and gave me some bear crawls. His dad disagreed. His dad shoulda had to do bear crawls. bastid. Now I'm steamed thinking about it.

Hoov

Reaction score
Man, i'm just thinking about the kid and what he has to deal with now cause his dad just completely lost it. Now he's got a father in jail ata time when he needs some direction with his life, and he'll always be known as the kid with the F' up Dad that ran around shooting up people in his home town. He'll need some serious therapy.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hoov said:
Man, i'm just thinking about the kid and what he has to deal with now cause his dad just completely lost it. Now he's got a father in jail ata time when he needs some direction with his life, and he'll always be known as the kid with the F' up Dad that ran around shooting up people in his home town. He'll need some serious therapy.

Not to mention the QB's dad (who was shot).....

Hoov

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

And the QB, wow if he loses his dad over this,....S*** man this is bad all the way around.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
Article doesn't say the QB's dad was shot, just that he did the shooting.

But you know what, if he riding around w/assault weapons and a possible hit list, he's a candidate for definitely being considered armed and dangerous. So it's entirely possible he was shot during the capture.

Either way, this is a bad situation all the way around...

Hoov

Reaction score
The original whackoo shooter, shot the coach, who is the QB's dad i beleive. i know the article is very poorly written. i had to ge back and read 3 times to dort out who was who, and im still not sure i got it all right.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
April 7, 2005, 1:57PM
Student's dad arrested in shooting East Texas high school coach

Associated Press

CANTON - The father of a high school football player shot and wounded the team's coach with an assault rifle today and fled in a pickup loaded with weapons, claiming to have a hit list, state officials said.

Schools in the district were locked down while police searched for the shooter, Jeffrey Doyle Robertson. His truck was found abandoned abut two hours after the shooting near a golf course outside Canton, and he was captured soon after, authorities said. No other details were available.

Gary Joe Kinne, who is also the Canton High School athletic director, was shot in the school's field house with an AK-47 rifle, according to the state's Homeland Security office. Kinne was airlifted to a hospital in nearby Tyler, but authorities were not releasing his condition. Police Chief Mike Echols said Kinne was shot in the chest.

Police were investigating a possible motive. Robertson had said he had a hit list, Homeland Security spokeswoman Sophie Yanez said.

Robertson had been banned from the Canton High School campus and told not to attend school functions, Echols said. Robertson had previous confrontations with some of the coaches, including Kinne, who took over the football program in 2003, authorities said. Kinne's son was the team's quarterback.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3123064

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
First article says that Kinne's (the one who was shot) son is the QB....

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
There goes the family friendly environment of East Texas. I swear since I moved here it has been one shooting after another. I guess it is a sign to move on, so I will...Houston here I come.

Say Trick you know the fool that shot up the court house got shot up at the intersection of 271 and duncan...right down the street from were I work. :eek:

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
April 7, 2005, 1:57PM
Student's dad arrested in shooting East Texas high school coach

Associated Press

CANTON - The father of a high school football player shot and wounded the team's coach with an assault rifle today and fled in a pickup loaded with weapons, claiming to have a hit list, state officials said.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3123064
The idiot also said he won't be taken alive. I just feel sorry for his kid, this has to be tough on him.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
There goes the family friendly environment of East Texas. I swear since I moved here it has been one shooting after another. I guess it is a sign to move on, so I will...Houston here I come.

Say Trick you know the fool that shot up the court house got shot up at the intersection of 271 and duncan...right down the street from were I work. :eek:

Geez ad... you brought that Kansan violence with you to my neck of the woods!

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Sad thing is, his kid has all the talent in the world. He needed a discipline session (who doesn't) and gave me some bear crawls. His dad disagreed. His dad shoulda had to do bear crawls. bastid. Now I'm steamed thinking about it.
blaze5.jpg

"bear claws? mongo LIKE bear claws!"