Gurode Finally Living Up To Draft Status

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Andre Gurode was considered by many a 1st Round talent when he was drafted several years ago. He had all the makings to be a top flight interior NFL Offensive Lineman. He was inconsistent his first 3 years or so showing flashes but never being consistent enough.

This off season he finally appears to be putting it together. IF he can continue his strong showing through camp and into the regular season at Center for us that will be huge in giving us strong play inside which we need.

I know it's early, but I'm encouraged about what I've read on Gurode thus far. If he has a good season we need to lock him up because he only signed a 1 year deal and I'm tired of mediocre play from our Center position. We need a guy in there that can make the correct line calls and open up some holes in the running game inside.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Andre Gurode was considered by many a 1st Round talent when he was drafted several years ago. He had all the makings to be a top flight interior NFL Offensive Lineman. He was inconsistent his first 3 years or so showing flashes but never being consistent enough.

This off season he finally appears to be putting it together. IF he can continue his strong showing through camp and into the regular season at Center for us that will be huge in giving us strong play inside which we need.

I know it's early, but I'm encouraged about what I've read on Gurode thus far. If he has a good season we need to lock him up because he only signed a 1 year deal and I'm tired of mediocre play from our Center position. We need a guy in there that can make the correct line calls and open up some holes in the running game inside.
I agree with everything you said here. I just hope that Andre can make the offensive line calls this year. Maybe he will be like Bradie James who could not find himself in the right spot on the field even by accident until he started making the defensive calls himself; then his play really took off and he became a solid LB for us. I hope it works out that way for Gurode at Center.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I agree as well. He's always had the "potential" but never lived up to it. Let's hope this is the year he breaks lose.

VACowboy

Reaction score
He was a third-rounder who'd been projected higher, no?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
It still boggles my mind that the guy can't shotgun snap. He needs to be able to do that every time to be considered a complete center, that and know every play what the protections should be. The shotgun is an important weapon when you're behind, especially for Bledsoe who has a relatively slow drop. It's like a basketball player that can't shoot free throws- no excuse.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I'm not buying the Gurode hype until the games begin. Of course, I'm pulling for him, but when all the reports are that Gurode does much better at the 3-4 than Johnson and considering the 'boys D is 3-4. That gives him a much better TC edge.

When the 'boys go up against the 4-3 teams, I'll be interested to see who gets the PT.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Personally, I'm not buying the Gurode hype until the games begin. Of course, I'm pulling for him, but when all the reports are that Gurode does much better at the 3-4 than Johnson and considering the 'boys D is 3-4. That gives him a much better TC edge.

When the 'boys go up against the 4-3 teams, I'll be interested to see who gets the PT.

good point, Gurode is going to need to be able to pull and trap, as well as make the line-calls, he's never had a problem w/ being physical, getting his hands on guys and moving them back in a straightline, which he's showcasing again in TC, just being smart, we shall see how it plays out in preseason, cuz remember, last year too Gurode was drawing praise in TC, yet we saw Al take back the C job for good in preseason

Wimbo

Reaction score
I saw a quote from one of the DL's saying that they wished they could combine Gurode & Johnson. Al's got the smarts, Andre has the strength.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

oh no! the voice of reason.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Gurode will get his 1st test this saturday aginst the seahawks to show how much he has progressed. I think the bright spot is he is showing more than he has in past camps enough so to get some praise from Parcells.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I'd wait until Gurode does it against another team other than our guys before I'd annoint him as living up to his draft status.

lspain1

Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
I'd wait until Gurode does it against another team other than our guys before I'd annoint him as living up to his draft status.

I want to see him "do it on the road." Maybe it would be a good idea to NOT put him in Canton quite yet.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

You bring up a good point WG. Going against the 3-4 the Center is responsible for the NT and has very few adjustments to make. Against the 4-3 he has 2 guys to worry about and may end up trying to block both or neither.

Gurode is a much better blocker than Johnson but I think he has problems reading the defense while that is Johnson's strength. Maybe we can swap them out depending on which defense we are playing against. Paul Brown and Tom Landry used rotating players back in the day for bringing in plays, so why not. It couldn't be any worse than watching one or the other struggle vs certain defenses.

Typically, the 3-4 NT is much bigger than your usual 4-3 DT which might also explain why Johnson struggles vs the NTs but does better when playing against the DTs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:

And consider this:

Number of 3-4 teams the Cowboys play this year? Zero.

I still remember Gurode's collossal gaffe that cost the team game 2 versus the Giants. That will stick with me for a while.

"I don't think the boy can handle it, I don't trust him."

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Gryphon said:

Gurode has never lacked the physical aspect of the position, he has simply struggled with the mental requirement.