Gurode on Michael Irvin Show - 8/1/08

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Gurode on Irvin Show
-------------------------------------

Now that's a guy with his head screwed on straight!

His comments about the team growing and there now being more leaders really has me pumped up for this season.

That sense of urgency is the exact thing this team needs right now. They haven't won anything yet so I want to hear about urgency, not complacency at this point in time.

Angus

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2171119 said:
Gurode on Irvin Show
-------------------------------------

Now that's a guy with his head screwed on straight!

His comments about the team growing and there now being more leaders really has me pumped up for this season.

That sense of urgency is the exact thing this team needs right now. They haven't won anything yet so I want to hear about urgency, not complacency at this point in time.

You are right! I was very impressed with his demeanor and the insight displayed. I must reconsider my evaluation of him, not as a player, but as a spokesman for the team. He is first class. A few years ago I had my doubts.

:)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Gurode was getting the 'he's too dumb to play center' at one time. The guy has always been known as a smart player for those interested in really knowing. Parcells was upset with him for making the wrong decisions and I'd say he even got demoted once. This is a very good center and OL.

I just wish we had better backup at center. I don't worry about any of the OL here at this time.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Berger is battling Gibbons for backup center. Proctor is on his way out.

sago1

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is the development of some leaders on this team. I felt that with Parcells as HC there was little room for our young leaders to grow & we really didn't have much leadership with the veterans on the team.

Last year some leadership started to develop with Romo, maybe Witten, Bradie James. But I think this year we are finally seeing other players stepping up to become leaders on this team. Guys like Flozel, Gurode, Bigg Davis, TO on offensive along with Romo & Witten. On defense it's not mostly Bradie James but now also Ware, Hamlin, Newman, Ratliff, Tank Johnson, Canty. Also loved Gurode using the word accountability to described what players expect from each other in certain situations. I might add that Wade's personality/desire for the team (when he first took over as HC) was encourage the development of leadership within this team which certainly now seems to be there as this team is maturing.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Gurode really impressed me with this interview, I never expected him to sound like he did. Low key laid back and well spoken, really enjoyed listening to it live.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Wasn't real fond of hearing him say that if each OL man just covers someone up the RBs will make a play. I certainly don't pretend to know more about it than him and the coaches, but seems to me they should be intent on pushing the D back a few yards or sideways if they can.

Have any of you played O-line or Rb that can discuss this?

Edit: I met Andre two years ago at an autograph signing session. When I complimented him on his play he said "I just gotta keep it going, man". He seems to be just as nice as he can be. I really like him.

JFlgn

Reaction score
Great guy, and he kinda reminds me a little bit of Nate Newton. I think he's one of our most personable offensive linemen and he's pretty funny at camp.

That said, I think we have to give Bill Parcells credit for recognizing that Torrin Tucker was Gurode's cryptonite and that Gurode couldn't concentrate as long as he had a close friendship with Tucker.

Parcells cut Tucker, who had less talent, and it proved to directly effect Gurode's productivity. Yet another Parcells imprint. Great with personnel, just wish he was able to coach during the games in his last season.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2171361 said:
Wasn't real fond of hearing him say that if each OL man just covers someone up the RBs will make a play. I certainly don't pretend to know more about it than him and the coaches, but seems to me they should be intent on pushing the D back a few yards or sideways if they can.

Edit: I met Andre two years ago at an autograph signing session. When I complimented him on his play he said "I just gotta keep it going, man". He seems to be just as nice as he can be. I really like him.

I took it as a compliment to the RBs not actually talking about blocking schemes. He talks about calling out over and under and thats leads to a block on the second level, so there is o-line push implied.

BHendri5

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2171361 said:

I'll say this to you, if my lineman had any doubt that they could block someone, I told them to just add their body weight to what ever direction the d-lineman was going and I would react to that.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
stealth;2171337 said:
Gurode really impressed me with this interview, I never expected him to sound like he did. Low key laid back and well spoken, really enjoyed listening to it live.

Stereo types die hard. Good for you.