Guys, does anyone else get the feeling that the Pats want Al Singleton

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Al Singleton is who the Patriots are seeking? aren't the Pats going back to the 4-3? Singleton has spent most of his career playing 4-3, so he could switch back in a pinch, and he carries more value than Shanle, much more IMO, while Shanle is a fringe player who is a threat to get cut, idk, seems more feasible that they're looking at Singleton instead of Shanle

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
we arent trading Singleton, I dont think..

Shanle may be a threat to be cut, but teams would be willing to trade for him because when he is cut, there will be a dozen teams wanting to sign him, so they will be in competition to sign him.. if they trade for him, they will get him guaranteed and they will get him cheaper..

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Al Singleton is who the Patriots are seeking? aren't the Pats going back to the 4-3? Singleton has spent most of his career playing 4-3, so he could switch back in a pinch, and he carries more value than Shanle, much more IMO, while Shanle is a fringe player who is a threat to get cut, idk, seems more feasible that they're looking at Singleton instead of Shanle

I can see that as a possibility, but I think with Carpenter in the middle, we have more debth at ILB.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Al Singleton is who the Patriots are seeking? aren't the Pats going back to the 4-3? Singleton has spend most of his career playing 4-3, so he could switch back in a pinch, and he carries more value than Shanle, much more IMO

No.

First, I think too much is being made about the 4-3 switch. I doubt they are doing more than experimenting because their LBers are so terrible and depth-depleted. There is no reason for them to scrap what isn't broke when all they need are parts to keep it intact.

And second, Small Al is too TINY, remember? If they ever wanted to go back to Belichick's signature defense, they would have to deal with his shrimphood.

Small Al does coincidentally fit New Orleans' and Minnesota's defense very well. That makes more sense than New England.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
No.

First, I think too much is being made about the 4-3 switch. I doubt they are doing more than experimenting because their LBers are so terrible and depth-depleted. There is no reason for them to scrap what isn't broke when all they need are parts to keep it intact.

And second, Small Al is too TINY, remember? If they ever wanted to go back to Belichick's signature defense, they would have to deal with his shrimphood.

Small Al does coincidentally fit New Orleans' and Minnesota's defense very well. That makes more sense than New England.

Alex, Al is 250, SHanle 245

and SHanle has as much 3-4 experience as Al, but less value

idk, I think too much is being made of Shanle starting, they just want to get anything for him IMO

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I can see that as a possibility, but I think with Carpenter in the middle, we have more debth at ILB.

good point, idk, just Al carries more trade value than SHanle IMO and I feel that since SHanle is a threat to get cut anyway, I don't really see a team bargaining for him

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
good point, idk, just Al carries more trade value than SHanle IMO

And a bigger cap hit.

The Patriots need inside linebackers. Singleton is strictly an outside linebacker.

Again, I don't buy the 4-3 talk in the least.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we'll see, I just don't see anyone giving up anyone for a player who's on the bubble, and really, has no value

AbeBeta

Reaction score
No. I have a feeling that the whole scout swap thing is about letting another team look at a guy you are going to have to cut.

Alexander

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
we'll see, I just don't see anyone giving up anyone for a player who's on the bubble, and really, has no value

Now you are swinging to the other extreme.

Although it is funny to laugh at someone thinking Shanle is Superman, he has become just the type of player that New England has found success with. He is a serviceable player.

Point is, he is not as good as some think, nor he is bad as some think. He has value as a reserve, at least. Being a bubble player is irrelevant. If the Patriots don't want him, chances are someone else will. There are simply too many teams who need linebackers now. If you want help, you need to be high on the waiver list (which New Orleans is) or face the competition and overpay.

Angus

Reaction score
abersonc said:
No. I have a feeling that the whole scout swap thing is about letting another team look at a guy you are going to have to cut.
What's the advantage of that? Turn about?

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I think Singleton is a possibility for sure. I would think he has more value than Shanle as ALS has a lot of solid starts here and in TB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
we arent trading Singleton, I dont think..

Shanle may be a threat to be cut, but teams would be willing to trade for him because when he is cut, there will be a dozen teams wanting to sign him, so they will be in competition to sign him.. if they trade for him, they will get him guaranteed and they will get him cheaper..

I agree. Singleton i think provides more insurance than Shanle does because he is proven and reliable. Plus what you said about Shanle possibly being gone anyways...makes more sens to trade him. We do need some old guys on the D.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Angus said:
What's the advantage of that? Turn about?

well, for one, you get a guy who has a better shot of making your team than the guy you are getting rid of and he doesn't need to clear waivers - you actually get him.