Halftime show?

Big_D

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this year’s entertainment? Pre game, halftime, commercials..

I thought Reba did a solid job on the national anthem.

Usher was ok, not the best, not the worst. I know it’s Vegas but it seemed way too busy. They tried to squeeze a little too much in there.

Reeses and the Christopher Walken commercials were probably my favorites. The beer genie also was pretty good.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The halftime show sucked. Worst one in a long time. It felt like a slow and painful death until the last 3 or so minutes. Far better talent in the private suites.

Reba was great. Post was better than I expected.

Arnold in the State Farm commercial had me in tears. It was hilarious.

Aven8

Reaction score
I like Usher so it was good. The dude can dance and looks like he hasn’t aged at all.

My fav commercial was the Dunkin Donuts commercial with Ben Affleck and Damon.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Sound design was crap. Could barely hear Usher. He’s a great dancer, Michael Jackson level. He worked hard, but I thought it was boring.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
There have only been a couple halftime shows in the last 30 years or so that haven't been horrible. Maybe not horrible yesterday but horrible adjacent. The formula is broken and they don't seem to be capable of understanding that.

Commercials aren't much better. All the different brands, untold hours to put it all together and the results are unrememberable. Used to be on the floor laughing. People talking about the next day. Just sad.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
The halftime show's sound was horrific. You couldn't hear any singing. But that didn't matter much because I don't like that kind of music, so I didn't really watch it. It was background noise while I was doing other things.

As for the commercials. I wish they'd go back to actually talking about the product and why you should buy it. The "feel good" commercials are ridiculous. I don't want to buy for instance an ATV because some guy/girl is on the TV doing things on it that no normal person would do. I want to buy it because of the features it has, and it's dependability. Just because it can go over terrain in a commercial doesn't mean it's dependable.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The halftime show will continue to suck for the duration of the NFL contract with Jay-Z. It's just a fact.
He's only interested in reaching one demographic.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The halftime show will continue to suck for the duration of the NFL contract with Jay-Z. It's just a fact.
He's only interested in reaching one demographic.
And that demographic, by and large, isn’t the one that actually spends most of the money on the NFL.

It’s a really strange world that we live in.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I didn't watch more than 2 seconds of the half-time show. I was helping someone with their laptop computer.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this year’s entertainment? Pre game, halftime, commercials..

I thought Reba did a solid job on the national anthem.

Usher was ok, not the best, not the worst. I know it’s Vegas but it seemed way too busy. They tried to squeeze a little too much in there.

Reeses and the Christopher Walken commercials were probably my favorites. The beer genie also was pretty good.
I thought Reba did great with the anthem. Then I was pleasantly surprised by Usher. I had never heard of him before, and I worried that he would be awful like some previous performers have been. However, he turned out to be an excellent singer and performer. He stayed on key and sang with a powerful voice, despite doing complex dance moves. This guy is really good.
The first two songs, "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and "America the Beautiful" were competently performed. I'm not familiar with that first song, but it has good passion in it, and she sang it well. The guy who sang "America the Beautiful" looked really nervous, but he still sang well.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
What do you mean what do I mean?

Jay-Z has the NFL contract for planning
halftime shows. He's only going to schedule
his genre to perform. It's going to continue to
be this way.
You said he’s only interested “in reaching one demographic”.

Usher is really popular with a wide variety of people, is he not? Anyone who was alive from 2000-2010 knows who Usher is.

Most people access music by streaming these days. Practically everyone has Apple Music, Spotify, or YouTube.

Spotify releases their listening data - let’s take a look at it.

Rihanna, performer of the previous halftime show, is the 5th most streamed artist on planet earth right now.

The halftime show before that featured artist Eminem, the 11th most streamed artist on planet earth right now, and Kendrick Lamar, the 39th most streamed artist on planet earth right now. Plus it featured hip hop legends such as Snoop and Dre - every music listener who was alive in the 90s have heard them.

Side note - there’s a website called “Rate Your Music”, where normal people like you and me can go and write reviews about albums and songs. It’s one of the most popular music review websites around right now. It takes everyone’s reviews and aggregates them into one single rating for an album or song.

Kendrick Lamar’s 2015 magnum opus “To Pimp a Butterfly” is the consensus highest rated album ever on Rate Your Music. Above Dark Side of the Moon. Above Abbey Road. Above Nevermind. Above Pet Sounds.

Anyway.

The halftime show before that, was preformed by The Weeknd - literally the most streamed artist on planet earth right now. His song “Blinding Lights” has been streamed well over 4 billion times on Spotify alone. Another track of his, “Starboy”, has been streamed over 3 billion times on Spotify alone. Add in other streaming services, radio listeners and digital purchases, and we are probably talking over 10 billion listens.

So with The Weeknd specifically, we’re talking the most listened to artist alive right now.

Shakira preformed in the halftime show before that - she is the 29th most streamed artist in the world right now.

So, I’m struggling to see what y’all mean by “these artists only appeal to a certain demographic”. What demographic is that? Because it seems like to me that these artists appeal to a wide variety of people with different music tastes. I personally like all of them.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You said he’s only interested “in reaching one demographic”.

Usher is really popular with a wide variety of people, is he not? Anyone who was alive from 2000-2010 knows who Usher is.

Most people access music by streaming these days. Practically everyone has Apple Music, Spotify, or YouTube.

Spotify releases their listening data - let’s take a look at it.

Rihanna, performer of the previous halftime show, is the 5th most streamed artist on planet earth right now.

The halftime show before that featured artist Eminem, the 11th most streamed artist on planet earth right now, and Kendrick Lamar, the 39th most streamed artist on planet earth right now. Plus it featured hip hop legends such as Snoop and Dre - every music listener who was alive in the 90s have heard them.

Side note - there’s a website called “Rate Your Music”, where normal people like you and me can go and write reviews about albums and songs. It’s one of the most popular music review websites around right now. It takes everyone’s reviews and aggregates them into one single rating for an album or song.

Kendrick Lamar’s 2015 magnum opus “To Pimp a Butterfly” is the consensus highest rated album ever on Rate Your Music. Above Dark Side of the Moon. Above Abbey Road. Above Nevermind. Above Pet Sounds.

Anyway.

The halftime show before that, was preformed by The Weeknd - literally the most streamed artist on planet earth right now. His song “Blinding Lights” has been streamed well over 4 billion times on Spotify alone. Another track of his, “Starboy”, has been streamed over 3 billion times on Spotify alone. Add in other streaming services, radio listeners and digital purchases, and we are probably talking over 10 billion listens.

So with The Weeknd specifically, we’re talking the most listened to artist alive right now.

Shakira preformed in the halftime show before that - she is the 29th most streamed artist in the world right now.

So, I’m struggling to see what y’all mean by “these artists only appeal to a certain demographic”. What demographic is that? Because it seems like to me that these artists appeal to a wide variety of people with different music tastes. I personally like all of them.
"Ya'll" has to be one of the most annoying words on a message board ever. Smh. I'm not a "ya'll"...lol

Prince would be my vote as best halftime show.

I'd wager that once you remove the famous people
and those who "win" tickets to the SB, less than half
the crowd liked the halftime show. The names you
mentioned only prove my point. Same genre. No rock.
No country. Just hip-hop, or some very close version.
(Damn, I miss the days of mo-town)

There are 8 billion people in this world. I'm going to guess
many of the over 180 countries don't generally stream on Spotify. Your numbers are skewed. It's like voting on a TV show. Unlimited voting.

tomokawan

Reaction score
The halftime show sucked. Worst one in a long time. It felt like a slow and painful death until the last 3 or so minutes. Far better talent in the private suites.

Reba was great. Post was better than I expected.

Arnold in the State Farm commercial had me in tears. It was hilarious.
You are not an R&B fan obviously. If you think Reba was better than Usher. LOL