Happy, productive Owens: "I'm just getting started"

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

During their time together with the San Francisco 49ers, Terrell Owens questioned both Jeff Garcia's arm strength and his sexual orientation.

During his two years in Philadelphia, he developed such a laundry list of issues with quarterback Donovan McNabb that the Eagles ultimately paid their star receiver not to play before cutting him loose.

But Owens has only praise for his current passer, Tony Romo, and expresses excitement about what they can do for the explosive Dallas Cowboys as their rapport improves.

"This is just scratching the surface," Owens says. "The sky's the limit for me."

He takes a streak of three consecutive 100-yard receiving games into Sunday's game against the visiting NFC East rival Washington Commanders, and has been at the forefront in helping Dallas to fashion an 8-1 record that is the Cowboys' best mark since 1995.

Owens is pacing the NFC with 855 receiving yards to go with 50 catches and eight touchdowns. He has made conference-high 14 receptions totaling 20 or more yards and averages 17.1 yards per catch.

"Once he gets the ball," Romo says, "he's a load to bring down for any defensive back."

Of greatest importance to Dallas, the 6-3, 218-pound Owens is playing big in big games. He haunted his former Philadelphia teammates with 10 catches for 174 yards and a touchdown to pace the visitors' 38-17 drubbing of the Eagles on Nov. 4.

The score was the 120th of his career, allowing him to join Jerry Rice, Cris Carter and Marvin Harrison as the only receivers to reach that milestone. His next catch will be the 852nd of his career and move him ahead of Irving Fryar into sole possession of 10th place on the career receiving list, 10 behind Jimmy Smith.

Owens, 33, was a difference-maker in Dallas' series sweep of the NFC East runner-up New York Giants. He produced three catches for 87 yards and two touchdowns in a 45-35 shootout against the Giants in the season opener before teaming with Romo six times for 125 yards and two scores in a 31-20 win at Giants Stadium last Sunday.

As T.O. sees it, he's just doing what Cowboys owner Jerry Jones pays him to do.

"This is why I felt Jerry brought me here," he says. "I want to be the playmaker for this team. I brought my level of focus up with this team. Every play can be a big play, whether it's passing or running. That's the identity for this team."

Romo and Owens have done much of their key damage together in the second half. They combined on a momentum-generating 45-yard pass play immediately after the break against the Eagles. They crushed the Giants' spirit with four second-half touchdowns, a pair in each game.

"I have a lot of confidence in Tony and (offensive coordinator) Jason Garrett," Owens says. "I know they are going to do whatever they can to get me the ball. Sometimes it doesn't happen as early as I would like, but I can't get frustrated. I know eventually it's going to open for me."

Teams find the longer they double-team Owens, the more receivers such as Patrick Crayton and tight end Jason Witten gash them.

"They double him a lot, but then if you start hitting the other guys, they have to go one-on-one," Dallas coach Wade Phillips says. "Tony seems to know and read real well when it's one-on-one."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/cowboys/2007-11-13-terrell-owens-romo_N.htm

gazmc_06

Reaction score
this is just the start, they should have a few more years to work with each other....make it happen Jerry ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Wow, a good game could put him 9th all time in receptions. He'll most certainly have that by Thanksgiving.

I've enjoyed him this year, and I will be honest, I never thought I'd say that.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think if he gets a Super Bowl here, he is a first ballot Hall of Famer. If you just look at the teams he has played with and look at the records of those teams with and without him, he is a game changer.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Hostile;1765602 said:
Wow, a good game could put him 9th all time in receptions. He'll most certainly have that by Thanksgiving.

WOW:eek:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1765602 said:

Losing pisses people off, and winning heals all wounds. :)

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
zrinkill;1765534 said:

"This is just scratching the surface," Owens says. "The sky's the limit for me."

He takes a streak of three consecutive 100-yard receiving games into Sunday's game against the visiting NFC East rival Washington Commanders, and has been at the forefront in helping Dallas to fashion an 8-1 record that is the Cowboys' best mark since 1995.

Owens is pacing the NFC with 855 receiving yards to go with 50 catches and eight touchdowns. He has made conference-high 14 receptions totaling 20 or more yards and averages 17.1 yards per catch.

Of greatest importance to Dallas, the 6-3, 218-pound Owens is playing big in big games. He haunted his former Philadelphia teammates with 10 catches for 174 yards and a touchdown to pace the visitors' 38-17 drubbing of the Eagles on Nov. 4.

Owens, 33, was a difference-maker in Dallas' series sweep of the NFC East runner-up New York Giants. He produced three catches for 87 yards and two touchdowns in a 45-35 shootout against the Giants in the season opener before teaming with Romo six times for 125 yards and two scores in a 31-20 win at Giants Stadium last Sunday.

Romo and Owens have done much of their key damage together in the second half. They combined on a momentum-generating 45-yard pass play immediately after the break against the Eagles. They crushed the Giants' spirit with four second-half touchdowns, a pair in each game.

All of this, .. and he is just getting started ?? The sky is the limit ??

Now that is scary !!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1765602 said:

I think he'll finish his career in the top 3 in receptions, yards, and TDs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1765715 said:
Losing pisses people off, and winning heals all wounds. :)
It isn't the winning. It's the seeming change in his attitude. I'm impressed.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Hostile;1765695 said:
What's wow? That he'd be that high in receptions, or that I never envisioned liking him?
that you never envisioned liking him.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;1765829 said:
It's very rare that some one likes everybody. I know I don't and I didn't care for him at all before this year. TO is saying all the right things and performing well for the 'Boys and people are liking him more, well at least the Cowboys fans. Even the media is saying lot of positive things about him.

TO's actions will cause equal or opposite reactions.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;1765829 said:
Well, I didn't. I still can't say I absolutely like him. I appreciate his level of play (I did even when he was on other teams) and this year I appreciate his attitude. Last year I didn't. I hope he doesn't revert to form.

IMO, there hasn't been very much to like about him other than his production on the field.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Maybe for the first time in a long time, Owens finally "gets" it! As difficult as it is for me to wrap my arms around the fact that a 33-yr old man can "mature", he seemed to have done just that. I'm sure the winning and his involvement in the offense helps but even in the couple of games that he didn't produce we heard nary a peep outta him-impressive. As long as the young-minded, selfish-to-no-end T.O. is dead and buried I say that JJ extends his contract and let him retire here (words I thought I'd NEVER say)!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TO better credit that O-line. They are providing Romo the time to do his thing.

Just imagine if the NFL still allowed end zone celebrations TO style. :D

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;1765858 said:
Maybe for the first time in a long time, Owens finally "gets" it! As difficult as it is for me to wrap my arms around the fact that a 33-yr old man can "mature", he seemed to have done just that. I'm sure the winning and his involvement in the offense helps but even in the couple of games that he didn't produce we heard nary a peep outta him-impressive. As long as the young-minded, selfish-to-no-end T.O. is dead and buried I say that JJ extends his contract and let him retire here (words I thought I'd NEVER say)!!

I agree. I think TO has shown maturity and has handled himself great this past off-season and during the season. Something I was not sure he would ever develop but he has.

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
Do you guys think that T.O. would be acting the same way if we had a losing record? IMO winning is everything..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
T.O81;1765943 said:
Do you guys think that T.O. would be acting the same way if we had a losing record? IMO winning is everything..

Hard to say, my gut feeling is no. Let me say I don't want guys who like to lose but I sure as hell do not like guys pointing fingers and placing blame on others when a team does run into problems because frankly that does not do anything but make matters wrose

aikemirv

Reaction score
T.O81;1765943 said:

I am sure everybody would be frustrated, but I don't think it is the winning record that has made TO act the way he has. He has said it a few times that "he wants to be the playmaker" and that he "knows that Garrett and Romo are trying to get him the ball".

If that is happenning then whether we were 5-4 or 8-1 I think he would feel like he was being appreciated and used correctly and that is what I think makes TO content to a degree.

I think like everyone else he wants to win and get to the Superbowl and win it - probably a lot more for him because of the years played, the success he has had and as close as he has been to doing it.