Has Public Outcry Influenced Jerry Jones In Free Agency?

Do You Think Public Outcry Motivated Jerry Jones FA Moves?

• Yes

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you believe the public's vocal discontent about the team, how it is run, etc., compelled Jerry Jones' actions in free agency? Bonus question: Do you have any examples of public outcry that made Jerry Jones do something in response? Ever?

Please do not straddle the fence. This is a private poll. Voters have the option of changing their vote at any time.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind as far as another example of public perception influencing Jerry is the passing on Moss in the draft.

I see this offseason as Jerry realizing he needs to make hay while the sun shines and the sun is going down quickly.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only thing that comes to mind as far as another example of public perception influencing Jerry is the passing on Moss in the draft.

I see this offseason as Jerry realizing he needs to make hay while the sun shines and the sun is going down quickly.
I mostly agree. Jerry Jones was in full 'build my brand into the biggest in sports' mode at the end of his first decade as owner. Unintentionally or not, Michael Irvin had generated negative PR for the franchise with an earlier highly visible court case.

Fast forward to the 1998 NFL draft. Despite his fantastic athletic credentials and on-field performance, Moss was highly criticized for legal issues in both high school and college. The latter had even seen him forced to leave Florida State. It smeared his widely recognized high first round grade and teams, including Jones and the Cowboys, passed on him until the lower mid first round. Jones was an unquestionable gambler but he did a hard pass on Moss.

However, Jones' fear of public perception was not underscored by any 'public outcry' episode. There was not any huge public upsurge of voiced resentment aimed at Jones to dissuade him from drafting Moss. I am certain the possibility was talked about greatly within the Metroplex that offseason but could that circumstance be described as public outcry? I would say no.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I mostly agree. Jerry Jones was in full 'build my brand into the biggest in sports' mode at the end of his first decade as owner. Unintentionally or not, Michael Irvin had generated negative PR for the franchise with an earlier highly visible court case.

Fast forward to the 1998 NFL draft. Despite his fantastic athletic credentials and on-field performance, Moss was highly criticized for legal issues in both high school and college. The latter had even seen him forced to leave Florida State. It smeared his widely recognized high first round grade and teams, including Jones and the Cowboys, passed on him until the lower mid first round. Jones was an unquestionable gambler but he did a hard pass on Moss.

However, Jones' fear of public perception was not underscored by any 'public outcry' episode. There was not any huge public upsurge of voiced resentment aimed at Jones to dissuade him from drafting Moss. I am certain the possibility was talked about greatly within the Metroplex that offseason but could that circumstance be described as public outcry? I would say no.
I see what you're saying, but it strikes me as a potAYto-potAHto situation.

Reacting to a fear of public outcry is not much different than reacting to a public outcry, IMO.

We're both right!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Now I will throw this out there ...... Micah's obvious anger at not trying to make the team better in free agency may have something to do with it ...... They may be trying to keep him happy.
Or, as strange as it may seem, trying to maximize the team's potential while Parsons is cheap.

Or, both.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Cowboys generally overspend on their own guys vs overspending on guys that other teams don't want to pay (that's what FA is afterall)

This year, they parted with an expensive Zeke and that freed up a higher cap spot for Cook

It's not that simple, but you get the picture

Btw, if Jerry let fans guide him more than he does, then he wouldn't have allowed himself to be talked out of mistakes like Manziel (which was someone more than half of the gurus on this site wanted). lol

75boyz

Reaction score
Not sure what these 2 influencers can be categorized under. That is, if these 2 factors for Jerry that caused him to only ONCE take a step back as circus master.

But the 3 consecutive 5-11 Campo years coinciding with the building of a new stadium fall under some umbrella of influence. Public outcry or otherwise.

It prompted a non puppet coach hiring of Parcells and a followup result for Jerry to market his shiny new playpen.(JerryWorld)

All other peripheral discussions may have a modicum of merit in debating how a factor may/may not have influenced Grandpa Jones in a particular circumstance.

But I truly believe this example is the closest to having genuine influence. Is that categorized under public outcry?

I guess with anything, opinions vary..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see what you're saying, but it strikes me as a potAYto-potAHto situation.

Reacting to a fear of public outcry is not much different than reacting to a public outcry, IMO.

We're both right!
I am the literal type, so I will try this using Collins Online Dictionary:

Examples of 'public outcry' in a sentence (link): The subsequent public outcry almost cost the Home Secretary his job.

Examples of 'public perception' in a sentence (link): Public perception is that there is little incentive for some broadcasters to comply with the regulations.

In contextual terms: the former describes actively vocalized resentment, while the latter represents passively silent acknowledgment. On one hand, the public used peer pressure. On the other hand, the public felt dissatisfaction and that dissatisfaction was identified through inquiry or study.

I will introduce two partly fictional examples of my own. Example 1:

"Jerry Jones signed defensive end Greg Hardy. After reports of Hardy's domestic violence case surfaced, fans overwhelmed radio and television stations with calls protesting the signing. Team and league sponsors threatened to halt their advertisement and sponsorship campaigns in response to Hardy's acquisition. Jones began thinking and scheming how to spin Hardy's signing into a positive and began calling sponsors personally one-by-one..."

^ Public outcry. Example 2:

"Fans disagreed with Jerry Jones' decision to part ways with Amari Cooper. Some of those same fans posted their discontent on Dallas Cowboys fansites for months. One day, Colin Cowherd's staff noticed the volume of Jones/Cooper fansite discussions and brought it to the attention of their boss, who started today's show with a segment he called 'Cowboy fans are still unhappy Jerry let Amari Cooper go'. Stephen Jones told his father about the segment over lunch. Jones laughed..."

^ Public perception.

That is how I see both terms in the literal sense. I understand if anyone might disagree.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure what these 2 influencers can be categorized under. That is, if these 2 factors for Jerry that caused him to only ONCE take a step back as circus master.

But the 3 consecutive 5-11 Campo years coinciding with the building of a new stadium fall under some umbrella of influence. Public outcry or otherwise.

It prompted a non puppet coach hiring of Parcells and a followup result for Jerry to market his shiny new playpen.(JerryWorld)

All other peripheral discussions may have a modicum of merit in debating how a factor may/may not have influenced Grandpa Jones in a particular circumstance.

But I truly believe this example is the closest to having genuine influence. Is that categorized under public outcry?

I guess with anything, opinions vary..
As I have mentioned before, some observers have argued Jerry Jones fired Dave Campo and hired Bill Parcells hoping to boost his franchise's profile within the Metroplex as you mentioned. I will not debate anyone how factual that perception was. If I recall correctly, there was at least one report of Jones being drunk and blurted out that exact strategy.

Regardless, I concede it as an example of Jones taking action (firing Campo/hiring Parcells) for reasons not having to do with 'public outcry'. In my opinion, Jones was already planning on ditching Texas Stadium years before he replaced Chan Gailey with Campo. The man has been a marketing super-fool from before buying the franchise. He pissed off the rest of the league with his lone wolf marketing innovations, which would one day put him in a gold jacket lol. He knew going in he could never max out Texas Stadium's value. It was an old stadium and long since tapped out. Value and far greater wealth would be gained via a new state-of-the-art venue.

If there was a public outcry, I would suggest it had taken the form of some local taypayers actively not wanting to foot the bill for a new stadium. This would be my point if that were true. Why would Jones fire Campo, hire Parcells and go into full I'm-Gonna-Get-Me-A-New-Stadium-SOOOOIE PIG! mode IF 'public outcry' only pushed him to trash his new stadium dreams?"

75boyz

Reaction score
As I have mentioned before, some observers have argued Jerry Jones fired Dave Campo and hired Bill Parcells hoping to boost his franchise's profile within the Metroplex as you mentioned. I will not debate anyone how factual that perception was. If I recall correctly, there was at least one report of Jones being drunk and blurted out that exact strategy.

Regardless, I concede it as an example of Jones taking action (firing Campo/hiring Parcells) for reasons not having to do with 'public outcry'. In my opinion, Jones was already planning on ditching Texas Stadium years before he replaced Chan Gailey with Campo. The man has been a marketing super-fool from before buying the franchise. He pissed off the rest of the league with his lone wolf marketing innovations, which would one day put him in a gold jacket lol. He knew going in he could never max out Texas Stadium's value. It was an old stadium and long since tapped out. Value and far greater wealth would be gained via a new state-of-the-art venue.

If there was a public outcry, I would suggest it had taken the form of some local taypayers actively not wanting to foot the bill for a new stadium. This would be my point if that were true. Why would Jones fire Campo, hire Parcells and go into full I'm-Gonna-Get-Me-A-New-Stadium-SOOOOIE PIG! mode IF 'public outcry' only pushed him to trash his new stadium dreams?"
I have no idea on of the inner workings of Texas state political activity as I'm an out of stater. But the combination of hiring a Parcells type coach post Campo to further instill confidence with the population towards Jery's approval side of stadium voting appears coincidental at least.
The semantics of not referring to this situation as I have described as not public outcry has been an excellent discussion by you as I appreciate subject matter that requires a little thinking beyond normal surface level topics more commonly found on a football message board.
I won't respond any further but again, nice job on intelligent discussion.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Now I will throw this out there ...... Micah's obvious anger at not trying to make the team better in free agency may have something to do with it ...... They may be trying to keep him happy.

I think this is the big thing. I think they know that he's been getting annoyed by our lack of activity prior to this offseason. He's a much needed and rare-type of player. So, they'd obviously like to keep him. However, I do think that some of it might be public pressure. At least, I think it is in the sense that the players are being more vocal with the public and are trying to recruit players.

I also think that Jerry is adjusting to a significantly better season than I think he expected. Remember the whole narrative and the way things looked last year? The rumours that we were trying to get rid of Mike McCarthy for Sean Payton, the trading of Coop, and the lack of activity? Well, then we went on that unexpected run with Cooper Rush. Then we had a nice run with Dak when he came back. So, I also think that Jerry is seeing a team that, maybe he didn't think we were contenders last year, but now he knows he might have something. So, I think some of it is finding the holes that we have been calling out for a long time. This draft is going to be a big tell as to what Jerry thinks of this team. If he can get us a NT, Oline, and a RB, I think this team will be set. With some of the trades he's been making, I have a sense that he might make a move during the draft, such as moving up a bit for Bijan Robinson if Robinson starts dropping to about where the Chargers are. I could see Jerry seeing it as an opportunity to try to get another Emmitt Smith.

I'm NOT saying that Robinson is Emmitt Smith 2.0. However, he's a back that would, effectively, electrify this offense. A combo of him, a NT like Mazi Smith or Ika, and a guard or tackle would have this team, imo, loaded up for a run to break some droughts.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I think this is the big thing. I think they know that he's been getting annoyed by our lack of activity prior to this offseason. He's a much needed and rare-type of player. So, they'd obviously like to keep him. However, I do think that some of it might be public pressure. At least, I think it is in the sense that the players are being more vocal with the public and are trying to recruit players.

I also think that Jerry is adjusting to a significantly better season than I think he expected. Remember the whole narrative and the way things looked last year? The rumours that we were trying to get rid of Mike McCarthy for Sean Payton, the trading of Coop, and the lack of activity? Well, then we went on that unexpected run with Cooper Rush. Then we had a nice run with Dak when he came back. So, I also think that Jerry is seeing a team that, maybe he didn't think we were contenders last year, but now he knows he might have something. So, I think some of it is finding the holes that we have been calling out for a long time. This draft is going to be a big tell as to what Jerry thinks of this team. If he can get us a NT, Oline, and a RB, I think this team will be set. With some of the trades he's been making, I have a sense that he might make a move during the draft, such as moving up a bit for Bijan Robinson if Robinson starts dropping to about where the Chargers are. I could see Jerry seeing it as an opportunity to try to get another Emmitt Smith.

I'm NOT saying that Robinson is Emmitt Smith 2.0. However, he's a back that would, effectively, electrify this offense. A combo of him, a NT like Mazi Smith or Ika, and a guard or tackle would have this team, imo, loaded up for a run to break some droughts.
I like everything about this post.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like everything about this post.
Having just run a test mock draft on PFF, to see if it was possible, I found that I was able to trade our 1st, 4th, and 5th to Baltimore for their 1st and get Robinson. Then I traded down a few spots in round 2 and got Siaki Ika to get a 5th back.

Hardline

Reaction score
Jerry basically stole Cooks and Gilmore.
If he had to outbid other teams those two wouldn't be here.
Why didn't he go after Bobby Wagner?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not believe he is responsive to any public outcry because I do not think there is one. Two 12 win seasons and playoffs, who in the hell cares about people complaining about that?

The entitled do not represent the masses.

As long as he leads in profit, revenue, value and coverage, he could care less what the "malcontents" think.

He is the only owner or GM that seeks the spotlight; therefore, he needs some defense because other than the flagship station, aren't a lot of people not on the payroll praising him.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Do you believe the public's vocal discontent about the team, how it is run, etc., compelled Jerry Jones' actions in free agency? Bonus question: Do you have any examples of public outcry that made Jerry Jones do something in response? Ever?

Please do not straddle the fence. This is a private poll. Voters have the option of changing their vote at any time.
I put no because I think Jerry is an old fool that is about the money. If anything influenced this year it is seeing a division rival rebuild twice and make it to 2 SBs. He also was probably embarrassed with his “all in” comment when Eagles had picks and cap.

I think the only thing Jerry would ever respond to is an empty Jerry World. Like a walk out for part of the game or a one game protest. The issue with that, if things were that bad, is there is a group who would stay just because they can’t help themselves and money spent. But something embarrassing like that or seats not full where it affects his pocketbook is it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I put no because I think Jerry is an old fool that is about the money. If anything influenced this year it is seeing a division rival rebuild twice and make it to 2 SBs. He also was probably embarrassed with his “all in” comment when Eagles had picks and cap.

I think the only thing Jerry would ever respond to is an empty Jerry World. Like a walk out for part of the game or a one game protest. The issue with that, if things were that bad, is there is a group who would stay just because they can’t help themselves and money spent. But something embarrassing like that or seats not full where it affects his pocketbook is it.
I voted no also but have long disagreed with the greed explanation. It has been many years since Jerry Jones achieved a level of wealth, along with quantity of revenue independently generated by the NFL and his franchise, that it is not logical to assume money is the motivation for keeping a death grip on general managership. His greed would not change one iota if he surrendered control of GM oversight. The man makes money. However, he does not seek wealth thinking it makes he look like a football super-genius.

I do agree that the Eagles' recent success has influenced him, as it would anyone seeing a direct competitor accomplish something they want also. Even so, I disagree that a narcissist like Jones was embarrassed by his 'all in' comment. I would be interested to review his face for the public reaction if that exists in a video somewhere. His face is more easy to read than it should be.

Anyone would respond to an empty stadium. That's obvious. The real question is, "How would Jones respond in that situation?" Some people have long believed a protest of that nature would coerce him into making fundamental changes within this front office, such as replacing himself and/or his first-born with qualified football professionals.

I disagree 100% with that premise. The man's mind does not work like that. A walkout would present itself as a challenge that he would go full P.T. Barnum Jerry to offset publicly. Sure, Jones would go on radio and television saying he knows the message fans are sending to him but it would be a delay facade to get him to the next game. Then he would counter with a 'I got the fans back baby' wink and a Cheshire grin.

That tactic would be short-lived and self-neuters itself. It should be taken into consideration as well that a sizeable percentage of any stadium's attendance is not composed of home fans. There will never be a stadium full of empty seats for network cameras to pan around at. Many seats? Maybe. All seats? Never. And I can add that television history has plenty of examples of stadiums with huge gobs of empty seats staring back at their cameras.

To coerce a mindset like Jones into doing what he does not want to do, the tactic must psychologically attack what sits between his ears, not his back pocket. As I have often said in the past, Jones' personality type does not like public perception of him look like a NON-super football genius. An example of a relatively easy, affordable and (most importantly) practical form of coercive protest would be an organized distribution of paper bags for fans of BOTH teams to consider wearing at some point during a game. Bags could have readable messages like 'Jerry Sucks As GM' or 'TG Our GM Isn't Jerry' etc. Every broadcast booth team would have a field day discussing fan sentiment INSTEAD OF talking about what was happening on the field.

That is an example of public humiliation anyone would have a hard time spinning it as a positive. It is also an example that would more easily be adopted and carry on to both home AND away games. People, especially young people, love fads. It is a freaking TikTok challenge that would go viral. Shoot. Hyper viral. Heck. I'm surprised no long-suffering Cowboys fans have not thought of that before, lol. It is the sort of thing that could push a narcissist into a corner and self-examine possibilities for deflecting blame away from themselves.