Has the NFL gotten too Pass Friendly?

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
The same thing is happening in college and high school. Not even 10 years ago most hs football programs primarily ran the ball. Now most of the time, at least here in N. Texas, I see spread offenses or at least 10-15 passes a game for an offense (where it used to be maybe 5).

College football is seeing more of a passing attack than it did back when the Wishbone was huge.

Whether this is a trend starting at the lower level and moving up, or trickling down from the NFL, I don't know. Probably both.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I think it's the evolution of the NFL based on what fans want to see, which is scoring and NFL made some rules changes to protect QBs and to benefit the offense. In the past, before 80's, I think the game was more of running game, and many QBs didn't put up great numbers because of it.

dooomsday

Reaction score
aikemirv;1748893 said:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...-s=PASSING_COMPLETION_PERCENTAGE&d-447263-n=1

Look at these stats. 22 Qb's have over a 60% completion percentage. I admit I have not followed stats closely in the past few years but this seems very abnormal.

10 QB's have a rating of 90 or better.

10 QB are on pace for over 4000 yards.

5 QB's on pace for over 30TD's

The evolution of the NFL or just a fluke season?

I was JUST looking at that a minute ago! Weird.

Unreal huh? Yes, QBs have gotten very accurate.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1748906 said:
I think it's the evolution of the NFL based on what fans want to see, which is scoring and NFL made some rules changes to protect QBs and to benefit the offense. In the past, before 80's, I think the game was more of running game, and many QBs didn't put up great numbers because of it.

It's not about the fans at all. The NFL had a problem with low scoring games in the early nineties. Rules were changed to help offenses. Now you are seeing offenses get ahead of the curve a bit. Defenses will eventually figure things out, and slow offenses down. If things get too out of hand, I'm sure some new rules will be put in to help defenses.

It's a game of cat and mouse.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't mind it now that we've got a good QB. But what it means is that you can't survive in the NFL today without a good QB. Seriously, the difference between being one of the worst teams in the NFL and one of the best is just a QB. Insert Derek Anderson on the Dolphins and they're probably 5-3 and the Browns are 0-8.

adamknite

Reaction score
SibannacRex;1748912 said:
It's not about the fans at all. The NFL had a problem with low scoring games in the early nineties. Rules were changed to help offenses. Now you are seeing offenses get ahead of the curve a bit. Defenses will eventually figure things out, and slow offenses down. If things get too out of hand, I'm sure some new rules will be put in to help defenses.

It's a game of cat and mouse.

.... it's completely about the fans. Why would the NFL have a problem with low scoring games..... because the fans wanted more action and scoring. That's why there was a "problem".

SibannacRex

Reaction score
adamknite;1748924 said:
.... it's completely about the fans. Why would the NFL have a problem with low scoring games..... because the fans wanted more action and scoring. That's why there was a "problem".

It would be a similar problem if all the NFL games started to look like arena football. If offensive output got extremely high and scoring started hitting the 30s, 40s and 50s routinely, the NFL would make adjustments to even things out.

The NFL wants consistency and there are enough fans out there that prefer a defensive struggle.

adamknite

Reaction score
SibannacRex;1748931 said:
It would be a similar problem if all the NFL games started to look like arena football. If offensive output got extremely high and scoring started hitting the 30s, 40s and 50s routinely, the NFL would make adjustments to even things out.

The NFL wants consistency and there are enough fans out there that prefer a defensive struggle.

The NFL wants consistency and parody, a lot possibly most ordinaryfans want scoring and action.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just want to watch a football game and wish they would stop changing the rules every single year. It is a great game leave it alone!!!

SibannacRex

Reaction score
adamknite;1748936 said:
The NFL wants consistency and parody, a lot possibly most ordinaryfans want scoring and action.

Also recall in the 90s how kickers were making like 80 percent of their kicks. The NFL added the K-ball, which prevented kickers from shaping balls before the game. As a result, kicking percentages went down hill.

So it's not unlikely the NFL would make a change to slow down offenses

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
SibannacRex;1748912 said:
It's not about the fans at all.
It is all about the fans. NFL is a product and the fans are consumser and when consumers aren't happy, there will be less of profit. NFL doesn't exist without the fans.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1748937 said:
I just want to watch a football game and wish they would stop changing the rules every single year. It is a great game leave it alone!!!

No kidding. I hate this emphasis on offense the league subtly puts in. A 17-14 game is just as much fun as a 35-31 game for everyone but the most superficial fan.

superpunk

Reaction score
The best athletes play offense. QBs are smarter, prepare better, and are more innovative, whereas defense has been plodding along with the same schemes for 30 years. What else can you do?

Add to that the hampering of CBs, the seeming willingness to allow offensive lines to get away with alot of holding, and a lack of quality defensive linemen and the offensive explosion will be here a while.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1749013 said:
No kidding. I hate this emphasis on offense the league subtly puts in. A 17-14 game is just as much fun as a 35-31 game for everyone but the most superficial fan.

I agree and I hate that so many times games are dictated by flags than the play on the field. I think the constant changing of the rules also leads to more bad calls since the refs are constantly having to look for new and different things each year and so many of the rules tend to be subjective that you don't see consistency from 1 game to the next. I love the game but you got to let the players play it

SibannacRex

Reaction score
superpunk;1749017 said:
The best athletes play offense. QBs are smarter, prepare better, and are more innovative, whereas defense has been plodding along with the same schemes for 30 years. What else can you do?

Add to that the hampering of CBs, the seeming willingness to allow offensive lines to get away with alot of holding, and a lack of quality defensive linemen and the offensive explosion will be here a while.

Any real data to back all of this up?

silverblue

Reaction score
adamknite;1748936 said:

I am fine with parity, but if the NFL keeps manipulating the game it will surely become a parody of itself :)