Has the Salary Cap become Irrelevant?

aikemirv

Reaction score
With Adam's last post in the Salary Cap thread he shows all teams and their respective amounts under the salary cap.

It is a total of 221 Million I think.

With that much space I think it has come to the point where owners are not willing to spend, not because they are limited by the salary cap, but more because they are not going to spend that much period.

Nexx

Reaction score
penalties... should they be allowed... discuss.

WG5516

Reaction score
Why should penalties be allowed?

Some teams like the Cowboys (Who Want To Win) have no problem spending money... Why should a team be penalized because they've correctly managed their money? Also after looking at the list, the 221 million is a little skewed. 2 or 3 teams have 15+ million in cap space and the rest are less than 10 million. That's not a lot of money.

Also with NO CAP, that means Jerruh can create an All Star Dallas Cowboys Team? If so, I'm all for it!

- Edit: Now that I think about it, we have an All Star Team already. LOL NVM

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
IT really has. But I like that there's a salary cap because it forces teams to build within as well instead of just going for free agency and trading draft picks for talent. Oh wait...Deadskins still do that lol.

utrunner07

Reaction score
rocyaice;2387633 said:
IT really has. But I like that there's a salary cap because it forces teams to build within as well instead of just going for free agency and trading draft picks for talent. Oh wait...Deadskins still do that lol.

um so do we...:bang2:

perrykemp

Reaction score
The lack of a salary cap would essentially turn the NFL into something like Major League Baseball. The New York teams, Chicago, and the Cowboys (for now under Jones) would dramatically outspend the rest of the league and field vastly superior teams. Teams like the Green Bay Packers would be perpetual bottom dwellers because of their inability to generate much non-ticket / non stadium revenue.

Its a scenerio where the Cowboys would probably fair well, but it would be a dramatically different type of league than we see today... as an example see this week World Series where the games drew the lowest TV audience ever and the episodes of the new 90120 have the nearly the same viewers as the games themselves.

It's a quandry for Cowboys fans for sure -- the Cowboys would be in the playoffs EVERY SINGLE YEAR and winning lots of titles. -- the NFL as we know it today built on parity would be gone.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Seattle has a billionaire owner as well. Same with Atlanta. You would end up with maybe 8 teams spending huge amounts of money and the other teams fighting over the scraps.

perrykemp

Reaction score
My questions to other Cowboys fans is this --- is that what you want? Would you rather have what would essentially be a 8 team league where the Cowboys would be guaranteed to be in the playoffs every year OR do you prefer the current balanced system where all team have an equal shot due to the salary cap?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Yes, I think the salary cap has become almost irrelevant. Without knowing actual financials this is impossible to tell, but based on stories I've read, I think salary costs have become so high that team owners are less willing to spend the money because their profit margins have become increasingly thin. For example, there were reports that the Denver Broncos owner only had a profit of $10 million in a recent year. That means some players are making as much as the owners.

You could do away with the salary cap, but keep the revenue sharing, and I think you'd have about the same results you have today.

Thomas82

Reaction score
WG5516;2387615 said:

Some teams like the Cowboys (Who Want To Win) have no problem spending money... Why should a team be penalized because they've correctly managed their money? Also after looking at the list, the 221 million is a little skewed. 2 or 3 teams have 15+ million in cap space and the rest are less than 10 million. That's not a lot of money.

Also with NO CAP, that means Jerruh can create an All Star Dallas Cowboys Team? If so, I'm all for it!

We could go back to dominating the way we did in the 90s.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
WG5516;2387615 said:

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Like Ive always said the dumb cap punishes teams for being good and drafting good. If it wasnt for the cap we might have won 2-3 more SB's in the 90's.

The salary cap = dynasty killer.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
utrunner07;2387691 said:
um so do we...:bang2:
Romo
Barber
Witten
Flo
Gurode
Ratliff