Has this scenario ever happened and one other question

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Second Question
I was talking to my Supervisor before leaving today and I told him that the Cowboys would have the #1 Seed if the Playoffs started today even though GB has an equal record. I told him that since we beat the Bears and they lost to the Bears, that our "Like Opponents" would be the tie-breaker.

He said that he heard on the radio that this wasn't the case.

I looked on NFL.com and I didn't see a section that discussed tie-breakers between teams not in the same division.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Our loss is out of the nfc there's is in the NFC thats the tie braker if the playoffs start today.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
I believe this is how it goes:

Straight Record - Tie
Head to Head - Haven't Played yet
Division Record - we won all our division games so far, they lost one

We have a better division record because the Packers lost to the Bears.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1782161 said:
I looked on NFL.com and I didn't see a section that discussed tie-breakers between teams not in the same division.

Just look at No. 3 in this part --

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild-Card tie breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to step one of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tie breaker, all other clubs revert to step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.

2. In comparing division and conference records or records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor since teams may have played an unequal number of games.

3. To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

4. To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).

Aikbach

Reaction score
Better conference record trumps division wins so long as both teams win their respective divisions, which they likely will, so it will boil down to head to head in all likelihood.