Has Wade really taken over the defense?

yimyammer

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say the defense has gotten so much better since Wade took over, but then I recall reading one of the players saying Wade doesn't come to defense meetings and nothing has changed.

Which is it?

Is Wade making the calls or not? What exactly has changed, if anything?

<<Please link your sources>>

If he is the reason for the improvement, then he better never give up the reigns again

khiladi

Reaction score
yimyammer;2449759 said:
I keep hearing people say the defense has gotten so much better since Wade took over, but then I recall reading one of the players saying Wade doesn't come to defense meetings and nothing has changed.

Which is it?

If he is the reason for the improvement, then he better never give up the reigns again

Those comments were made after the Tamp game. The proof is in the pudding in terms of scheming. They run a 4-6 which they never were before. They are playing way more man and Ware is moving all over the place.

Whether or not it is because Wade is directly involved now or not, the fact is the style of play has changed and the scheming is different than prior to the Reddskins game.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I do think Wade is having more of an impact -- the way he's used Ware looks a ton like how Merriman was used in SD (i.e., moving around).

He's moved James around a little too - with a very nice outcome.

I do think Wade is saving a little something something though. For example, I expect he's going to give more looks with our 3 OLBs on the field at once down the stretch, more use of Hamlin on blitzes...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Regardless of the opposition.

3 FG's given yesterday - Seattle
3 FG's with 2 garbage time TD's - San Fran (one of which was helped with 30 yards in penalties that Buck later said "Good drive by San Fran" :rolleyes:
1 FG & 1 TD - Washington

I'm Lovin' It!

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
yimyammer;2449759 said:

Which is it?

It's sort of both. They're not as mutually exclusive as they appear at first.

It's uncertain to what extent he's actually calling the plays on gameday but he stands next to Stewart talking to him as Stewart works the headset. I think it's safe to say that he's at least setting the tone and calling some of the plays.

And, as was pointed out upthread, the D has added a lot of new looks, is playing more man, and just generally creating a lot more pressure on the QB. I'm sure this wasn't Stewart's doing. And I'm sure that Wade necessarily has to attend everything during the week in order for this to get done.

Sorry, no links. But all of this has been pointed out multiple times in here.