Hatcher opinions

America's Team

Florida Cowboy
Reaction score
I have been hearing alot of good things about Hatcher such as he took on flozell and had no trouble gettin past him, twice. And I also heard hes the most noticable player on the practice field, as in hes so big. I was just wonderin what kind of impact do you guys think Hatcher will have on this team this year.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
America's Team said:
I have been hearing alot of good things about Hatcher such as he took on flozell and had no trouble gettin past him, twice. And I also heard hes the most noticable player on the practice field, as in hes so big. I was just wonderin what kind of impact do you guys think Hatcher will have on this team this year.
That's a hard question to answer since I have not seen him play a single down yet. But I will say that if Spears knee keeps him out for a couple of weeks (or longer) it could open the door for Hatcher should Bill decide to move him to that side. It all depends on what Parcells is going to allow him to do IMO but it certainly sounds like he is getting himself noticed.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I'm high on him, but lets get to the season first.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
They said Flozell was very rusty. I think Hatcher has a lot of potential and could easily be our second starting DE. He has a lot to learn before he becomes a real impact player though.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hatcher is physically gifted quite obviously so he should shine in these 1 on 1 drills.

The questions will come for him in games and in finding where his ceiling is. With his size, speed and strength he was going to pose 1 on 1 matchup problems.

Quite honestly I believe he has the most pass rush potential of our 3 legit 3-4 DEs.

Spears is a bull rush guy who anchors everything to one spot.
Canty is a long, athletic disruptive force but neither is really slippery or elusive for OL. Hatcher seems to be have some slipperiness to him. Hatcher was considered a poor pick by some fans but he could end up being huge as a rookie because we need that 3rd DE even if Spears is 100% by week 1.

Reaction score
From watching his highlight tapes from college, this guy has tremendous quickness, strength, & speed for a player of his size. There are several plays where he beats QBs & RBs to the sideline for lost yards. He sets up his opponents well by pushing hard, then letting up-allowing their own push to get them off balance. Once he has that accomplished, he uses his speed to get past them, and get to the ball carrier.

Hatcher is a very good athlete who is relentless in pursuit. He is confident in his speed, and believes he can run down ANY player from behind. I know he is playing against low grade competition in the tape, but any 6-6, 285 lb. player who can consistently run down QBs & RBs from behind, at any level, has a lot of upside.

The best thing I saw about Hatcher is that he has only touched the tip of his upside. The rest of the iceburg is yet to be uncovered, and it is quite large.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as good or better than Canty. He is our 2006 draft steal. I really believe he is going to be that good.

ddh33

Reaction score
One of these days I think fans are going to give Bill the benefit of the doubt when it comes to plugging these guys in to his defense.

I always liked the Hatcher pick. I liked it for the reason Bill and Jerry said. "How many guys that big and athletic are running around?" Knowing that teams like the Patriots were deseperate to draft him only pleased me more.

I think that Hatcher is going to end up having a role on this team early on.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Hatcher is physically gifted quite obviously so he should shine in these 1 on 1 drills.

The questions will come for him in games and in finding where his ceiling is. With his size, speed and strength he was going to pose 1 on 1 matchup problems.

Screw that talk.

I'm taking his plaque to the engravers as we speak.