Have our FA signings changed your ideas on who to Draft?

tm1119

Reaction score
with the signings of T.O., Adoleye(no idea how to spell that), Fabini and Kosier i think our needs have changed. With the signing of T.O. we dont need to draft a WR anymore so that throws out Jackson and Holmes. Plus the o-line help we added could allow us to wait until later in the draft. And Adoleye fills a glaring hole so again we can wait for LB.

For me this only leaves FS. I think that if Huff is available we should draft him. and if not then Simpson. Second round we then draft either Ryans or Jackson. This would add depth and allow us to cycle our LBS in and out. The third round would be for more O-Line depth.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
I think we still need to draft a WR, say TCU's Cory Rodgers or burner Greg Jennings, in the mid-to-later rounds as we only have Copper as our 4th receiver. Also, remember Glenn and T.O. are in their 30's and while Owens is always in great shape, Glenn missed 10 games due to injury as recently as '04. If we don't sign a FA like Pathon or Tim Carter, we'll draft one. Jennings can return kicks too.

We also need to land a backup DT with a mid-to-later round pick as Johnson is a bit of an unknown. I'm hoping Rod Wright lasts into the 3rd round but that's a pipe dream. If not him then I hope we get John McCargo who's probably one of the smartest guys in the draft.

I hope we get Huff as he's a little faster than Simpson.

jbsg02

Reaction score
i think it changes it. it gives up more of an ability to draft the best player available instead of drafting for need. although i wouldnt be suprised if we used a first on a FS. we might need another LB early though since we dont know what we have or dont have in kevin burnett.

Woods

Reaction score
I still think we need an OLB to complement Ware.

Burnett is recovering from a serious injury and who knows when he's mentally and physically ready?

I'd trade down, if possible, and take either Wembley (sp?), Carpenter, or Lawson.

I'd also look for a FS, WR, and OL to groom. Plus, we need a NT to rotate with Fergy.

I think there will be some good FS available in Round 2/3. Bullocks, for example. Hopefully, we sign a veteran FS this year in FA as well, so we don't have to rush the rookie.

I think the WRs we were looking at in the Combine were generally regarded as 3rd-5th rounders, for the most part.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
WR.

To gain experience and excel while TO is here.

And to take over when TO crashes and burns.

Pokes28

Reaction score
The draft board will change somewhat, but I've always been a BPA guy. If that player happens to be a position of strength, either trade down or more likely the case, draft the other guy that has the same rating on the board that may be in a position of weakness.

In my view there aren't any WRs worthy of a first round grade this year, so I'll be ticked if we take one at #18.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

lkelly

Reaction score
Dallas really has to start developing WRs through the draft. Who is the last one? If you don't count Crayton, in my opinion it was Kevin Williams. One could argue Antonio Bryant, but he didn't even last through his rookie contract. Willie Jackson turned into a viable NFL WR, but not in Dallas.

What a dry spell. Living off other teams' scouting and coaching efforts is a recipe for overpriced, aging trouble. Much like the Commanders and their entire team approach.

tm1119

Reaction score
i agree with developing a WR completely. i just dont think this is the year to do it. with our core of players we have now and if we add a FS, OLB, K and O-line depth we could make a serious run deep into the post season. if we adress either FS or LB in FA then yes we should draft a WR in round 2 or 3 but still not 1.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'd still like to see a trade down from #18 to add another third. I've rearranged my board slightly.

1. Carpenter/Lawson/Wimbley (LB)
2. Daniel Bullocks (FS)
3. Charlie Whitehurst (QB)
3. Charles Spencer/Fred Matua/Jonathon Scott (OG/OT)
5. Matt Bernstein (FB)
6. Titus Adams (NT)
7. Brad Butler (OT)

FA: Jason Hunter (OLB)

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Not really. Ideally, we will want to trade down a few spots because our need positions do not correspond well with the value that will be at 18. I still think that we will be looking at OLB and OL in the first but if we stay at 18 it wouldn't surprise me if we took WR or CB which might be better value than the LBs and OLs that many of us covet who are probably low first, high second picks.

In any event, I don't think we have any essential needs at this point, so the braintrust can focus on upgrading the talent, planning for the future, and providing depth at whatever position.

ghst187

Reaction score
AAHHRoyWilliamsIsAfterMe! said:
I think we still need to draft a WR, say TCU's Cory Rodgers or burner Greg Jennings, in the mid-to-later rounds as we only have Copper as our 4th receiver. Also, remember Glenn and T.O. are in their 30's and while Owens is always in great shape, Glenn missed 10 games due to injury as recently as '04. If we don't sign a FA like Pathon or Tim Carter, we'll draft one. Jennings can return kicks too.

We also need to land a backup DT with a mid-to-later round pick as Johnson is a bit of an unknown. I'm hoping Rod Wright lasts into the 3rd round but that's a pipe dream. If not him then I hope we get John McCargo who's probably one of the smartest guys in the draft.

I hope we get Huff as he's a little faster than Simpson.

love Jennings, if we can recoup a 4th rounder and get him there...a big steal like Crayton! He might even be worth a 3rd.

I do think our needs have changed but not terribly. We got an old WR, one OLD OL to go with 2 other OLD OLs and even if we sign Coleman, which I expect, we'll be OLD there too.
Obviously, we still need a kicker too but i expect we'll get that in the next week or so.
Ayodele fixed a big need at ILB though so now we just need an OLB.
I think we still need to draft:
1) playmaking OLB: Lawson, Wimbley, Carpenter
2) OL: probably a T, G isn't a bad idea either, probably one of each
3) FS: this draft has a bunch, Jason Allen is my choice in the 2nd
4) WR: pretty thin this year, like Holmes and Jackson but I'd prefer Jennings in the 4th. Yes i realize we don't have a fourth this year.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I know alot of people want to trade down and get Lawson, but we will be lucky if he is there at 18. If Dallas trades down, Lawson will not be there.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We still don't know what is going to happen in FA still. If we pick up Peterson or someone like it, then OLB becomes a 3rd round pick. I still think that we move down or out of the 1st completely and pick up extra picks.