HC: Norv, OC: Garrett, DC: Rivera

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I'm starting to come around to that idea, and am accepting the fact that it might be inevitable that Norv is our next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, I wouldn't mind it so much if Rivera is named DC, as in fact, my biggest worry is getting someone capable enough of running the D, a huge pay-hike and the chance to put his own stamp on our D may be all Rivera needs to subjegate a HC role to make a lateral move, but another of my biggest worry is how the FO is going to be run, and the team's direction in general, as Norv's track record for commanding men in battle isn't too great, we lost a great talent evaluator in Bill Parcells, and another knock on Norv is his talent evaluation abilities, and Jerry Jones, who seems like he wants to go back to having the final say on who is brought in here in the draft and free agency, is a very scary thought, our only saving grace in that situation is Jeff Ireland, I hope Jerry works w/ him and takes as much stock in what he has to say in regards to personnel decisions, as much as Bill did, because it's obvious Jeff is a great judge of talent

disregarding the avatar and the seething things I've been saying about Norv, if he's named HC, I will back him up 100% and hope all goes well, getting Rivera on the staff however, will give me much more hope, and will calm one of my biggest worries

btw, the avi stays until Norv is named HC :D

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly I'm coming around to Norv as H/C so long as Garrett develops quickly as an O/C and Riveria is on board as our D/C. I'm hoping both Garrett and Riveria have the talent, knowledge, direction and spark to drive this team in the ways personality-wise that Norv lacks. I also hope Norv goes after the Bears ST coach whose contract also expires after this SB. I know many of you want Norv to bring Joe A. back but frankly his ST players didn't play that well at all in last few years he was here. Of course our whole team didn't play well except for the Chan Gailey 2 years.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I really don't like the idea of NORV, just a guy to make Jerry feel warm and fuzzy inside. But if he's hired, as always, I will give them a year or 2 of rope before hanging them.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
What if Jim Caldwell gets thrown into the mix?

What if it goes down like this?

Norv HC, Rivera DC, Calwell OC, Garrett QBC

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Cbz40;1357026 said:
What if Jim Caldwell gets thrown into the mix?

What if it goes down like this?

Norv HC, Rivera DC, Calwell OC, Garrett QBC

I have a difficult time believing that Caldwell really does that much in developing Manning. I don't believe I have ever heard of him before this past month. And evening from reading this below, it really sounds more like Tom Moore and Manning than it does Caldwell.. but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong on this.

Caldwell_Jim.jpg
Jim Caldwell - Asst. Head Coach / Quarterbacks

5 years with the Colts

Coaching Stats

BIO

Jim Caldwell enters his second season as assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach of the Colts after serving the prior three seasons as the club's quarterbacks coach. Caldwell joined Indianapolis from Tampa Bay, where he served in the same capacity during the 2001 season. Caldwell assists an offense that has been among the NFL's most prolific attacks since 1999. Coming off consecutive seasons as the NFL's Most Valuable Player, QB-Peyton Manning was 305-453-3,747, 28 TDs/10 ints., 104.1 rating in 2005 to help guide the club to a 13-0 start and a 14-2 mark, the franchise seasonal record for victories. The offensive tone helped the club trail in only four games during the season. The Colts won a league-record 13 consecutive games by seven or more points, and the club amassed 439 points to rank second in NFL scoring offense. Manning combined with WRs-Marvin Harrison (1,146) and Reggie Wayne (1,055) for 1,000+-yard reception seasons. Manning extended his own NFL record with his eighth consecutive 25+-TD season. Manning and Harrison established the finest quarterback-receiving tandem numbers in NFL history (783 completions, 10,542 yards, 94 touchdowns).

From 1999-04, Manning threw for 4,000+ yards in an NFL-record six consecutive seasons. In 2004, Manning had one of the NFL's finest seasons, completing 336 of 497 passes for 4,557 yards and 49 touchdowns for a 121.1 rating. His 67.6 completion percentage, yards, touchdowns and rating set Colts seasonal-bests, while his touchdowns and rating established NFL seasonal records. Manning (49 touchdowns, 121.1 rating) broke the prior NFL records of Dan Marino (48, 1984) and Steve Young (112.8, 1994). Manning opened the season with multiple touchdown passes in a league-record 13 consecutive games. Manning directed the club to a franchise seasonal-best 6,475 net yards, while helping the Colts (522) amass the fifth-highest NFL seasonal point total and become only the 10th team to score 500+ seasonal points. The club also became the first in league history to produce three 1,000+-yard, 10+-TD receivers (1,210 yards, 12 TDs, Wayne; 1,113, 15, Harrison; 1,077, 10, WR-Brandon Stokley). Manning had six games with 4+ touchdown passes, tying Marino's NFL seasonal record (6, 1984). Manning had five consecutive 4+-TD games, besting Marino's prior NFL mark in that category (4, 1984). The 2004 season marked the third straight year Manning set the club's seasonal completion percentage record. His 67.0 mark in 2003 bested his own seasonal mark of 66.7 in 2002. In 2002, Manning's 392 completions and 591 attempts also set Colts seasonal records. Manning has 128 consecutive starts, the second-longest QB streak in NFL history (221, Brett Favre). Manning has a club-record six double-digit victory seasons. His 80 starting wins rank second among Colts quarterbacks, while his 77 wins from 1999-05 lead the NFL.

In 2001 at Tampa Bay, Caldwell assisted with an attack that saw WR-Keyshawn Johnson post a franchise seasonal-best 106 receptions for 1,266 yards, while QB-Brad Johnson set a club seasonal mark with 340 completions.

Caldwell has more than 20 years of collegiate experience. Caldwell spent 1993-2000 as head coach at Wake Forest. In 1999, Caldwell led the school to its first winning season and bowl game since 1992. Wake Forest defeated Arizona State, 23-3, in the Aloha Bowl. During Caldwell's tenure, Wake Forest ranked among the nation's Top 25 teams in passing offense on four different occasions, including 10th in the NCAA in 1995. That season, QB-Rusty LaRue established seven NCAA passing records. Caldwell served as an assistant coach at Southern Illinois (1978-80), Northwestern (1981), Colorado (1982-84), Louisville (1985) and Penn State (1986-92). Caldwell joined Penn State as wide receivers coach. He then coached quarterbacks the following season and added passing game coordinator responsibilities in 1988. At Penn State, Caldwell tutored QB-Kerry Collins, who went on to win the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's top college quarterback and the Maxwell Award as the nation's most outstanding player. Caldwell has coached in six bowl games and won a national championship with Penn State in 1986. Caldwell was a four-year starter as a defensive back at Iowa and worked as a graduate assistant for the Hawkeyes in 1977.

Caldwell was born on January 16, 1955 in Beloit, Wis. He and his wife, Cheryl, have four children: Jimmy, Jermaine, Jared and Natalie.

PERSONAL

College:Iowa 1973-76.

Coaching Career: Iowa 1977; Southern Illinois 1978-80; Northwestern 1981; Colorado 1982-84; Louisville 1985; Penn State 1986-92; Wake Forest (head coach) 1993-00; Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2001; Indianapolis Colts 2002-present.

HEADLINES

01/25/07 - A HISTORICAL TIME
01/23/07 - THE POLIAN CORNER
01/20/07 - THE MATCHUP
01/19/07 - AS GOOD AS THEY EVER WERE
01/15/07 - A QUICK LOOK

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Keep in mind Sparano might still be in the mix somewhere offensively. He and Garrett may share OC and position duties like Garrett - OC/QB/Passing game, Sparano - OC/OL/Running game.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
CowboyManDan;1357055 said:
Keep in mind Sparano might still be in the mix somewhere offensively. He and Garrett may share OC and position duties like Garrett - OC/QB/Passing game, Sparano - OC/OL/Running game.

I believe the passing game/running game coordinator titles was a Parcellism?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I believe this could work because of the young ideas; It's not the same old thing week in and week out like when we had BP:starspin

saspurstx21

Reaction score
I like the idea of Rivera coming here but why would he leave a Super Bowl contender to coach the same position?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
saspurstx21;1357331 said:
I like the idea of Rivera coming here but why would he leave a Super Bowl contender to coach the same position?

Money and the chance to get out of Lovies shadow.

He basically does all the work there on game days and if you watch the game tonight you'll see whos running that defense.

If he comes to Dallas as a DC I dont think he'll be here any longer than a year.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1356907 said:
I'm starting to come around to that idea, and am accepting the fact that it might be inevitable that Norv is our next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, I wouldn't mind it so much if Rivera is named DC, as in fact, my biggest worry is getting someone capable enough of running the D, a huge pay-hike and the chance to put his own stamp on our D may be all Rivera needs to subjegate a HC role to make a lateral move, but another of my biggest worry is how the FO is going to be run, and the team's direction in general, as Norv's track record for commanding men in battle isn't too great, we lost a great talent evaluator in Bill Parcells, and another knock on Norv is his talent evaluation abilities, and Jerry Jones, who seems like he wants to go back to having the final say on who is brought in here in the draft and free agency, is a very scary thought, our only saving grace in that situation is Jeff Ireland, I hope Jerry works w/ him and takes as much stock in what he has to say in regards to personnel decisions, as much as Bill did, because it's obvious Jeff is a great judge of talent

disregarding the avatar and the seething things I've been saying about Norv, if he's named HC, I will back him up 100% and hope all goes well, getting Rivera on the staff however, will give me much more hope, and will calm one of my biggest worries

I knew you'd come around

:D

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CATCH17;1357343 said:
Money and the chance to get out of Lovies shadow.

He basically does all the work there on game days and if you watch the game tonight you'll see whos running that defense.

If he comes to Dallas as a DC I dont think he'll be here any longer than a year.

I probably agree to some extent, but there are going to be a number of high profile guys possibly come oto the market as HC's...Cowher, Fisher, perhaps Lovie Smith...Del Rio...maybe Fox

might not be alot of openings for Rivera to jump to, therefore maybe we get him for 2-3 seasons

and who knows...maybe he follows Norv as HC here

David

gbrittain

Reaction score

You will also never ever blame Norv for anything that goes wrong. Because we all know that players playing without emotion and completely falling on their faces is not a reflection on the coach. We know that when players do not play/execute well that it is the responsibility of the players and not the coach. We also know that if the offense or defense sucks that it is the coordinators fault and not the HC.

I think you will like whoever we hire quite well. ;)

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
It's not my favored hiring, but if we can snag Rivera (I'd rather have him as HC) then Norv is a bit more palatable.

DipChit

Reaction score
I'm starting to buy in a little.. not for anything to do with Norv as HC because there'd be no basis for that.

But because of getting Rivera as DC which I think he could do a better job with the defense at than if he were the HC.

Getting back to Norv though, and the one concern so many have about him to where the inmates run the asylum..... maybe him and JJ ought to set up someone as a patsy to where early in TC, Norv orchestrates some kind of blow up about the guy not getting the job done and cuts him the next day to send a message.

Lets see.. what unit are we deepest at and who would be a good candidate... cap hit be damned. ;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we lost a great talent evaluator in Bill Parcells.

*cough*rogers*cough*

*cough*peterman*cough*

*cough*eddiegeorge*cough*

*cough*drewbedsore*cough*

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we lost a great talent evaluator in Bill Parcells
That would make a great poll question. Something tells me BP wouldn't like the results however.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy;1357389 said:
That would make a great poll question. Something tells me BP wouldn't like the results however.

Yeah I was bustin on Summer a little but I think Parcells was merely average when it came to evaluating talent. I'll never forgive him for the blown picks on Rogers and Peterman. And it's clear the drafts post-Ireland have been superior to what was going on before.

I don't think we've lost much in the way of talent evaluation with Parcells leaving.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1357387 said:
*cough*rogers*cough*

*cough*peterman*cough*

*cough*eddiegeorge*cough*

*cough*drewbedsore*cough*

nope, noone's drawing me into any Parcells arguments, I'm done w/ all that