headlines from 9ers Official Site with video links below..

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Nolan Calls Loss Unacceptable Back to Homepage
Sunday, September 25, 2005
By: Chrissy Mauck

http://www.sf49ers.com/SiteImages/News/Image11951.jpg

WR Arnaz Battle scored on a 15-yard TD pass to start things off for the 49ers offense on opening drive.

After enjoying the lead over the Dallas Cowboys for 58 minutes, the 49ers allowed a 12-point margin and the game to slip away with Drew Bledsoe’s 14-yard touchdown pass to Keyshawn Johnson right after the two-minute warning, a game first-year head coach Mike Nolan said the 49ers should have won and a loss he deemed unacceptable.

“In that room, it is unacceptable to lose that game,” Nolan said. “They ought to feel the same way. It’s unacceptable. We are not a 2-14 football team. When you all the sudden start thinking you are a 2-14 football team, then that’s an okay performance. I want our players to know that, that is unacceptable.”

As the Cowboys learned on Monday night when they blew a 13 point edge over the Commanders in the final minutes, an NFL football game lasts 60 minutes. Unfortunately, the 49ers were on the receiving end of that bitter lesson this weekend.

Starting with a 15-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Tim Rattay to Arnaz Battle on opening drive, the 49ers managed to stay on top for almost four quarters of the game. With Kevan Barlow leading the effort with 65 yards, the run game finally got off the ground and for the first time this season totaled more than 100 yards. Rattay threw for 269 yards and finished the day with three touchdown passes, including an 89-yard strike and a 13-yard fade pass to Brandon Lloyd.

But it was Bledsoe and his two daggers in the way of completions of 58 and 44 yards to Terry Glenn that set up both of the Cowboys 4th quarter touchdowns to garner the lead.

“We have to do more on offense,” said Rattay, who called the loss the most frustrating he’s ever been part of. “We have to score more points. We had opportunities and did not take advantage of them.”

One of those opportunities occurred at the end of the first half when Rattay engineered a 13-play drive and advanced to the one-yard line after a 10-yard pass to Barlow. On first down, the 49ers ran the ball and got nowhere. After fumbling the snap on 2nd and goal, Rattay spiked the ball as ordered by the coaching staff to stop the clock and come away with a 20-yard field goal by Joe Nedney.

“We should have let the clock go down and spike the ball at four seconds,” said Nolan in hindsight. “We gave them an opportunity to possibly get three points; they did not. That was an error on my part, not getting it conveyed to the quarterbacks in time. That falls on me. The first thing I thought of was, 'Let's take three and not botch this.'"

The 49ers also missed out on a chance to score early in the fourth quarter when Rattay’s pass was tipped at the line of scrimmage and picked off by Al Singleton at the Cowboys 31. Trailing by just a field goal, the 49ers had 1:51 to work with, but another Rattay pass was deflected, this time by Terence Newman and intercepted by Dat Nguyen.

“I could not make any plays near the end and I take full responsibility for this loss on the offensive side of the ball,” said Rattay.

Defensively, safeties Mike Rumph and Tony Parrish both created turnovers. Rumph forced a Julius Jones fumble that was recovered by Marques Douglas in the first quarter, and Parrish came up with two interceptions, including one he took to the house for a 34-yard touchdown. The defense also held the Cowboys to under 100-yards rushing, but the 363 yards through the air and particularly the big pass plays to Glenn proved to be destructive.

“We didn’t play consistently on defense,” said Parrish. “They continued to execute and we didn’t. It’s a real letdown. Every time we put some points on the board – defensively we would let them back in the game. We can’t do that. They continued to execute and we didn’t.”

Following the loss, the 49ers opened the locker room prior to Nolan addressing the media, a departure from the normal routine. Despite the extra time to gather his thoughts, Nolan did not mince words, indicating that there might be roster changes this week as he weeds out players who are not buying into his team concept.

“There are an awful lot of players in that locker room who I would call champions who will be here, who will be here because they are champions and are part of exactly what I see as the vision for this football team and the target I want to hit.”

Nolan refused to name individuals, saying he’d wait until reviewing the film on Monday, but he pointed out that it boiled down to trust.

“Who believes in the things we are doing and who seems to think they have a better idea," explained Nolan. "The ones who trust, who I believe are champions will remain here. When we call defense or offense calls a play, do you do what you are supposed to do on that play or do you think you know better and kind of do what you want to do? One is called trust, one is called distrust.”

Game Injuries

Julian Peterson, hamstring strain
Ahmed Plummer, groin strain
Arnaz Battle, hamstring strain

Game Highlights

Click here for 49ers/Cowboys Highlights - 56K!
http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/op...005/nflcom/w03/cowboys_49ers_highlight_56k.rm

Click here for 49ers/Cowboys Highlights - 300K!
http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/op...05/nflcom/w03/cowboys_49ers_highlight_300k.rm

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder what Julian Peterson has to say?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Probably "my leg hurts, leave me alone" :)

Morning sarge.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
How many times did your curse out the defense yesterday?

I must have said "heartless mutha*****'s" 20 times.

Eddie

Reaction score
Mike Rumpf was moved to Safety? Wasn't he drafted as a CB? That was the year, we took Roy but was looking at Jammer.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Boy... it's nice not to be in their situation... at least not yet.

This part from Nolan reminds me of one of Parcells' press conferences last year:

Despite the extra time to gather his thoughts, Nolan did not mince words, indicating that there might be roster changes this week as he weeds out players who are not buying into his team concept.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
After watching some of the highlights and listening to the game on radio, I think you have to give the 9ers and their coaches some big credit for what they have done.

They have made the 9ers into a much better team it would appear after one off-season. If we think we've improved and yet we had our hands full yesterday with their team..

..either they are much better than we think or we are much worst than we think.

I suspect a bit of both.

My feeling is that the 9ers maybe a wild-card team in the making and if we aren't careful, they might get it going and pressure us for our playoff spot. It's still early, but they had to come out of that game feeling, despite the loss, that they can compete if they avoid mistakes.

Same as us.

Also, based on both teams moving to the 3-4 defense this season, neither team's defense looked very good at all. I'm wondering if because so many teams are going to the 3-4, that it's beginning to be less effective because now more offensive coordinators are seeing it with more regularity and figuring out how to attack it..?

I noticed that both in the Chargers game and in the 9ers game, our defense got out of the 3-4 and went more with the 4-3 defense to shut off teams in the 4th Qt.

While in the 'Skins game, we still stayed too long in the 3-4 and the LBers got worked on and the pressure from the DL tappered off.

I think we need to play less of the 3-4 and more of the 4-3 to start games and minimize the other team from taking control of games early on us. Use the 3-4 as the change-up defense and to give some guys breathers..

..but make the other team have to prepare for both defenses and use the one that gets the most playmakers on the field in the positions they are most effective.

At this point, it's NOT THE 3-4, folks.

Will this matchup with what BP wants to do..? Will he be stubborn and stay with the 3-4 as the base defense eventhough it's not getting it done overall..?

If this sort of defensive play continues and we get on a string of games we lose because we aren't playing the 4-3 when we should be doing it..

..this could be a division on the team waiting to happen.

I think the team can see the problems with the 3-4 and the results. And we can't depend on Bledsoe winning too many more of these shoot-outs as the season goes on.

Ain't going to work that way. So I see we are one defensive collapse away from this becoming a BIG ISSUE. It actually happened this last Monday Night and closely followed by Sunday's defensive performance..

I see it coming..will BP..?

:shatfan:

we'll see.

parcellswaterboy

ravidubey

Reaction score
parcellswaterboy said:
After watching some of the highlights and listening to the game on radio, I think you have to give the 9ers and their coaches some big credit for what they have done.

They have made the 9ers into a much better team it would appear after one off-season. If we think we've improved and yet we had our hands full yesterday with their team..

Nolan's done nothing unusual, the 49ers have some very good players on both sides of the ball. It's a rare NFL team that has such poor talent that they end up 2-14. Such poor seasons almost always have to do with:

1) Players have given up (usually on the coach)
2) There's a rookie at QB.