Heartbroken, but extremely encouraged

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2470416 said:
Teams favored to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl don't get to hang their hats on moral victories. We lost. That's the bottom line. We lost a game we really needed. Why? Primarily because the coaching staff is basically braindead. We went far too conservative on both sides of the ball, especially on D. We were beating the hell out of ****sburgh all day long, so what does our brilliant coaching staff do when the game is on the line???? Let's play a soft zone/prevent. Pitiful.

I won't disagree regarding Garrett...he went brain dead a few times. I think Wade called a great game, and I don't feel we went conservative on defense...I think we were running the same defense we played most of the game, but the 4 guys rushing seemed to run out of gas at the end, imo.

Still 13 points by your defense should not get you beat with our offense. I still think it's all on Tony in this one. His poor play had a bigger impact than any calls from the sideline, imo.

Plus, you're going back to preseason for that favored for the SB thing...considering where our defense, OL, and coaching has been this season, I think we've come a long way to tonight...but your point about moral victories is right on...I'm just trying to hang onto something.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
Hostile;2470415 said:
At one time Peyton Manning couldn't win a big game either.

At one time Tom Landry could not lead the Cowboys to the title.

Anyone who thinks football is instant gratification and simple is a freaking moron.

I am satisfied with the progress being made for this team to end the playoff jinx. I don't care if I am alone in feeling that way.

not alone at all........but from what ive been reading on here not as many
"fans" as before !

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
poke;2470750 said:
not alone at all........but from what ive been reading on here not as many
"fans" as before !
They're still fans. They just get cranky when their panties are all wadded up.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Hostile;2470797 said:
They're still fans. They just get cranky when their panties are all wadded up.

For me, its almost impossible to get cranky after a loss like that.

We clearly outplayed them, and just gave them the game. :banghead:

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Agreed....but I don't see Tony's play as a problem because it doesn't happen often...most of the time he's the only reason we win games.

That's the biggest exaggeration I've seen today.

This team is more loaded at WR and TE than any team in the league. Of course we're going to have big plays in the passing game, especially against cupcake teams. Many of the big plays this season have been guys breaking free or TO or Barber shedding defenders and turning short to medium passes into long gains. It HASN'T been Tony Romo dropping back, making quick reads, and threading needles down the field. He's made good plays, of course, and his elusivness is valuable, but his ability to read defenses and throw accurately are very, very over-rated.

But, yes, he's miles ahead of the other two guys on the roster, who are so inept they probably shouldn't be in the NFL.

He's a good, not great, quarterback, but the real problem is he has either choked or just played adequately in many big games. Until he actually does something in the playoffs, there isn't a non-Cowboys fan on this planet who would disagree with that, even if people here don't want to hear it.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
punchnjudy;2470842 said:

That's the biggest exaggeration I've seen today.

Really?

I'm guessing you missed the thread where the OP claimed that the Cowboys have the worst CB's in the NFL.

THAT is an exaggeration.

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
Great post brother... Your the kind of fan that deserves a Super Bowl and with patience those that believe will get it one day.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;2470958 said:
A game which will live .. in infamy. Just had to say it.
God post. Pearl Harbor anniversary.

This game reminds me of the Bengals loss in 2004 where we just gave it away.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
bbgun;2470958 said:
A game which will live .. in infamy. Just had to say it.

Sad to say, but I wont forget this loss...even as trivial as football is.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Hostile;2470415 said:
At one time Peyton Manning couldn't win a big game either.

At one time Tom Landry could not lead the Cowboys to the title.

Anyone who thinks football is instant gratification and simple is a freaking moron.

I am satisfied with the progress being made for this team to end the playoff jinx. I don't care if I am alone in feeling that way.
But do you think they'll end the jinx this year? That's the question.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. The Cowboys played a very good, very encouraging game for 50-some minutes against a very good team on the road in awful weather and then choked, which is not unusual for them this time of year. Romo had a pretty bad game, which is not unusual for him this time of year. And the special teams were pretty awful, which is par for the course this year.

The Cowboys are much, much better now than they were two months ago. But are they good enough to squeak into the playoffs and win a game (or two or three)?

TEUFELI

Reaction score
If you are encouraged by what you saw tonight you truly have the Cowboy Homer idiot goggles on. Remain encouraged brotha

Everson24

Reaction score
If it were a preseason game I might be encouraged by some things I saw but not when we should be hitting our stride. You have to play 60 minutes inthe NFL not 52. If we are not doing so then something is drastically wrong. Is the team out of shape? Do we get too conservative at the end of games? Is Romo too careless with the ball? Something is WRONG! This was like a playoff game and we blew it again. How can you be encouraged is beyond me.

I know I have a personality much more like Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells than Wade and Jerry but I dont think Jimmy or Bill would have been encouraged either.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Hostile;2470968 said:
God post. Pearl Harbor anniversary.

This game reminds me of the Bengals loss in 2004 where we just gave it away.

We were dominated in that game and lost 26-3. I think you mean these same Steelers in 2004. Forgot about that. But they are eerily similar.

kmd24

Reaction score
kramskoi;2470379 said:
Romo came into this game the top rated passer in the NFL...how he "looked" was harrowingly different.

I like Romo, i like the fire he brings to the team but he's still prone to the "big mistake"...he had three of them today...Roethlisberger had none and maybe that's why he has a ring and Romo does'nt...say what you want about him [Ben] but with the game in the balance he came through in the clutch...Romo at the same time was playing like a deer in headlights.

Whatever. The difference between Romo and Roethlisberger in this game was that the Steelers caught Romo's errant passes. Ben was nearly picked 4 times by my count.