Heath Miller

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Warroom has him a top 10 to Skins :skins: Want him to drop to us in Round 2!

Heath Miller 6-4 265 4.7
TE, Virginia
War Room analysis
Hands: Could have best hands of any tight end or wide receiver in this draft. Catches passes before they reach his pads. Consistently plucks balls out of the air at full speed, and makes catches over his shoulder. Grade: 8.8.

Patterns: Is a fluid route-runner with exceptional instincts. Has a rare knack for finding soft spots against zone coverage. Runs crisp and sharp routes, and uses his body to shield defenders from the ball. Is athletic, and has enough speed to stretch the seam. Grade: 8.7.

Run after catch: Gets upfield quickly. Shows good athletic ability and some big-play potential. Lacks the explosive speed to run away from defenders. Grade: 8.1.

Release: Has decent size and the initial quickness to escape jams. Lacks ideal bulk. Grade: 8.1.

Blocking: Is technically sound. Shows good balance and decent lower-body strength. Gets into good position, and works to the whistle. Must get bigger. Isn't overpowering at the point of attack. Grade: 8.0.

Bottom line: Miller, a junior, was converted from quarterback to tight end during his redshirt freshman season and has been a star ever since. He is a notch below elite NFL tight ends in speed and athletic ability but is the complete physical package and shows a special feel in the passing game. Miller is the only first-round talent in the tight end class.

Dan Pompei analysis
Draft's top tight end prospect has a nice blend of receiving and blocking skills. Shows good effort as a blocker.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Even if he drops to round 2 we wouldn't draft him. No matter how bad you'd want him, we still wouldn't draft him.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
Even if he drops to round 2 we wouldn't draft him. No matter how bad you'd want him, we still wouldn't draft him.

He's on the board when we draft in 2, we draft him!

Duane

Reaction score
I like Miller but we have bigger needs in hs draft than TE. I seriously doubt we take him over a LB, DE, CB or WR in the first two rounds.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Good player no doubt, but are you serious about drafting a TE early if at all? We already have a #1 (Witten), #2 (Campbell), and hopefully a #3 (Ryan). No way we should be drafting a TE on the first day with all our other needs.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Duane said:
I like Miller but we have bigger needs in hs draft than TE. I seriously doubt we take him over a LB, DE, CB or WR in the first two rounds.

Has maybe the best hands of any TE/WR in draft. Both Miller and Witten can easily slide out to slot WR in multiple formations and cause size mismatches. Leage is going to guys like Miller..... So much value.

What do you draft over him early/mid 2?

LB - ?
de Ware, Cody, Pollack, Roth if they fall
CB - ? Thats a Vet FA play - we don't need any more rookies over there!
WR - who do you draft there?

I'd look at DT - Antajj AS A LIKELY #2 PICK

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyManDan said:
Good player no doubt, but are you serious about drafting a TE early if at all? We already have a #1 (Witten), #2 (Campbell), and hopefully a #3 (Ryan). No way we should be drafting a TE on the first day with all our other needs.

Its not the best 22, its best 53!

Tight End is a critical position. You need depth!

Witten
Campbell - Is he healed? can he last a season?

Ryan - we cut him. No other team picked him up.
Trusty? who elso do we have at TE?

If Witten or Campbell go down we are SCREWED like last year. Draft talent and depth. Miller and Witten can play WR slot and Hback! Weapons to help their QB.....

Parcells collects TE's.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Nors said:

I'll take some of that action... with Witten and Campbell already on board, I don't see the Cowboys using any first day pick on a TE...

Note that I'm a UVa fan, and like Heath Miller just fine... but he's not a player the Boys are liable to target, particularly not as early as he's likely to go...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Nors said:

No we won't, and in your heart (and hopefully your head) you know we won't.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Nors said:
Has maybe the best hands of any TE/WR in draft. Both Miller and Witten can easily slide out to slot WR in multiple formations and cause size mismatches. Leage is going to guys like Miller..... So much value.

What do you draft over him early/mid 2?

LB - ?
de Ware, Cody, Pollack, Roth if they fall
CB - ? Thats a Vet FA play - we don't need any more rookies over there!
WR - who do you draft there?

I'd look at DT - Antajj AS A LIKELY #2 PICK
without a doubt we take him- if he is there in the second- he wont be though

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ghettogandhi said:
without a doubt we take him- if he is there in the second- he wont be though

Yeah Hawthorne is a Cowboy if he lasts that long. He might be a cowboy at #20.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Miller will not be there in the second round IMO. Aside from Washington, Denver needs a TE bad. The Steelers need a TE, the Rams need a TE and KC should probably start looking at one. Washington picks 9th, which is probably too high, but they could trade down and get real value. Again, San Diego is there and they would love a WR. KC picks at 15 which would be reasonable but I doubt they go TE with so many other needs. Rams at 19 would be a respectable pick. Pittsburgh at 30 would be a steal. It is inconcivable to me that Miller would be there for us in the 2nd round.

Even if he was, I don't see us taking him. We have good depth and good developmental players at that position.

We don't need a TE to slide out and play slot. We need a WR that can stretch the field.

LB - Burnett, Blackstock, Mitchell, Ruud, maybe Thurman from Georgia.
DE - Roth, Tuck, Pollack, maybe Spears, Maybe Canty just depending.
CB - Miller, Rogers, Jackson, Browner, Webster, McFadden, Washington, Perkins. This is a deep draft for CB.
WR - Williamson, Murphy, White, Russell, Clayton
DT - Johnson, Mosley, Cody, Hawthorn, Patterson
OT - Terry, Baas, Brown,
S- Shazor, Pool Bullock, Butler

Any of these guys could be the pick. All are positions of need and all could probably help the team. Miller is a great player and he would probably be best value if he were still there but I can't see it happening.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't think he'll slide that far either.

I agree we need depth on our team. But wouldn't we be better suited having depth at FS, DT, DE, LB, CB...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bill will probably take a TE but I don't think he plans on taking one in the 2nd round.

HOWEVER....if he is clearly the best player available, and we can not trade down, there is a chance he would be taken.....I just don't see him still being there with our second.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Bill will probably take a TE but I don't think he plans on taking one in the 2nd round.

HOWEVER....if he is clearly the best player available, and we can not trade down, there is a chance he would be taken.....I just don't see him still being there with our second.

Even so, if he were still there, somebody would be willing to make a trade with us. He's too good and we have other needs.

tiller77

Reaction score
Heath Miller will be gone in the first round, he is the top TE in the draft and we will not be drafting him

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tiller77 said:
Heath Miller will be gone in the first round, he is the top TE in the draft and we will not be drafting him

I agree. No way in hell do I see him getting past Pittsburgh. He just makes too much sence for Roth and they have very few needs else where.

They could use a CB but this is a deep draft at that position. They could use a WR but I think a young TE would be a better fit. They can always use LBs perhaps a young RB but those are going to be there in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round. My guess is that Miller will end up in Pittsburgh if he's not taken sooner.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Forget Pittsburgh, I don't think he'll get passed the Panthers, unless Barron is still on the board when they pick.

bennihanna666

Reaction score
We have Jason Witten! why do you think that we would need a TE in the 2nd when we need to look at other posisitions of a greater importance. LB,OL,DT,DE,FS,CB,WR,QB. Miller will not be a cowboys unless he drops to the 4th round.

Derinyar

Reaction score
I think we will draft a TE this year, in the 5-7 rounds. Miller may be a great player, but at a position that we really should spend another 1st day pick into. If we do draft an offensive player high it probably precludes us making any defensive switch this year, as we likely need all 3 first day picks to lead into making any defensive switch.