Heimerdinger (sp) and Jets part ways

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I just saw it on the crawl on the NFL network. Said they mutually agreed to go in different directions. Kinda like "I quit!" "you can't quit because you're fired!"

Maybe this is what Bill was waiting for. I hope.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I am thinking the Carolina guy may be the guy....
I think you can not offer a contract to a coach for the first 2 weeks after their season ends and Carolina ended less than 2 weeks ago.....

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Well never mind. I just found this... Looks like he may be headed to Denver. :bang2: Maybe there is a Pee Wee coach out there still available....

Jets, offensive coordinator Heimerdinger part ways
January 25, 2006

HEMPSTEAD, New York (Ticker) - Mike Heimerdinger will have a chance to pursue a job with the Denver Broncos.

After serving as offensive coordinator of the New York Jets for one season, Heimerdinger and the organization parted ways Wednesday.

The move was expected since Heimerdinger has been rumored as the replacement for Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak, who will become coach of the Houston Texans. Heimerdinger served as wide receivers coach in Denver under Mike Shanahan from 1995-99 and was part of two Super Bowl-winning teams.

"I have great respect for Mike Heimerdinger as a football coach," new Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "Ultimately, we agreed that the best course of action would be for the Jets to go in a different direction."

Under Heimerdinger, the Jets ranked 29th in total offense last season. But the Jets were riddled with injuries, including season-ending ones to quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler, running back Curtis Martin and center Kevin Mawae.

Since the 35-year-old Mangini was hired on January 17, the Jets also have severed ties with defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
leonargized said:
I am thinking the Carolina guy may be the guy....
I think you can not offer a contract to a coach for the first 2 weeks after their season ends and Carolina ended less than 2 weeks ago.....

Isn't there a rule against lateral moves?? So if this guy is an OC he can't leave Carolina to be the OC here... If he gets an "assistant coach" title is that still a lateral move?

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Isn't there a rule against lateral moves?? So if this guy is an OC he can't leave Carolina to be the OC here... If he gets an "assistant coach" title is that still a lateral move?

If the team he is currently on allows it, it's ok. They may allow it to free themselves from a large contract when they know the guy wants to leave. Also, if the guy gets the OC job AND an asst. HC position, then that's ok as well.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
If the team he is currently on allows it, it's ok. They may allow it to free themselves from a large contract when they know the guy wants to leave. Also, if the guy gets the OC job AND an asst. HC position, then that's ok as well.

I also think his contract is up...