help with speech

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
can anybody give me any information on the nba salary cap and why or why not they get paid too much. thank you.. i needit for a speech in class....thanks again

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
air0208 said:
can anybody give me any information on the nba salary cap and why or why not they get paid too much. thank you.. i needit for a speech in class....thanks again

I am no expert... but the thing that bothers me about the NBA salary cap is that a team can offer their OWN free agent anything they want and it increases a "slot" of that amount on the respective team...

In other words... say the cap is 25 million and you have 12 players... your top player is a FA and was making 5 mil a year... the team can offer him 20 mil a year since they had his rights to start... now their cap is 40 mil...

When he eventually leaves or retires that team gets to keep that 40 mil cap... while another team still only has 25 mil to spend... it is weird...

I think I have this right... don't quote me... :D

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
It's referred to as a soft cap. A team can go over the salary cap but they have to pay a luxary tax equal to the amount they are over back to the league. Imagine what Jerry Jones could do with a soft cap :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New York really loves the soft cap....and losing

The luxury tax is a joke. If an owner is willing to pay it, ala Cuban, they'll just cut the league a check it if it gives them a shot at a title.

joseephuss

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I am no expert... but the thing that bothers me about the NBA salary cap is that a team can offer their OWN free agent anything they want and it increases a "slot" of that amount on the respective team...

In other words... say the cap is 25 million and you have 12 players... your top player is a FA and was making 5 mil a year... the team can offer him 20 mil a year since they had his rights to start... now their cap is 40 mil...

When he eventually leaves or retires that team gets to keep that 40 mil cap... while another team still only has 25 mil to spend... it is weird...

I think I have this right... don't quote me... :D

Isn't that the Larry Bird rule. It was designed as a way that a team did not have to cut veterans due to salary cap hits. I remember some in the media talking about it when Aikman retired. They thought something similar should be put in the NFL so long time veterans could stay with their original teams.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Isn't that the Larry Bird rule. It was designed as a way that a team did not have to cut veterans due to salary cap hits. I remember some in the media talking about it when Aikman retired. They thought something similar should be put in the NFL so long time veterans could stay with their original teams.

I do believe you are correct joseephuss...

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Yes and no on your answer with the Bird Rights and cap.

Yes you can go over the cap to resign a player if you own the bird rights and what qualifies as Bird rights is weird so we will leave that part alone.

Now this is the basics on how Bird Rights work.

Player A is your star player and you own his Bird Rights he comes up and he is now a FA. Even if some one has twice as much cap room than salary they can not offer more than you on a max contract (there is a cap on how much and how long the contract can be depending on age etc).So lets say you offer him the max contract and it came out to be 5 years 66million starting year at 12 million plus % growth allowed each year (there is a max% allowed per year growth do not remember what it is)

So you player A all signed and wrapped up but and you are now 4million over the cap now you can not sign any more players now except for league minimums unless you have an exception like the Vet 1million exception.

But the player is going to cost you more than 12million now a lot more.

See now you are 4million over the threshold and you are now require to pay a 4million penalty extra into a pool to be spli betwen the teams. The pool is a % of money from each players salary taken out once there salaries go over a % of the the share of profits (which it has). Ok now at the end of the year lets say the pool if divided equaly among all teams gives a refund of million back to each team; opps wait you do not get that your part gets spread across to the teams that did not go over the cap threshold.

So now playera player cost you not 12million his 1st year he cost you 20 million 4million in cap tax and he cost you to lose a cap tax return of 4million plus salary.

This is just an example how that works fyi

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I'm not a cap expert but I believe another thing not mentioned is that the salaries are guaranteed in the NBA which is why you see so many players traded for cap relief. You have to find someone willing to take on that $12 million per year because otherwise, you're stuck with it. This is compared to the NFL, where if someone is making $12 million a year, you can just cut 'em and eat the signing bonus but that's it, no need to worry about the other portion of the contract. There would be a lot more trades in the NFL if all the contracts were guaranteed but I prefer football's system because instead of trading away a star like Chris Webber, which is what Sacaramento did, in the NFL, you could try and cut them and re-negotiate the contract.