Help with the 08 draft

playmakers

Reaction score
With the use of the 2008 cnn mock draft as a template, could you guys give a brief info on how these guys did the last few seasons against guys going or in the NFL and against college talent. I know everyone won't know everyone, but if everybody takes a guy from your area I think it would help me alot for next years draft and this season's college season, as along with others on the board. I can do number 13 Steve Slaton.

He's from my home town. While in high school his team Conwell Egan always played my school Truman high school in the annual Thanksgiving Day back yard game. Egan plays in a division below us and his junior season we were the only team to somewhat contain him holding him to 90 yards on 22 carries. The next year he had well over 200 yards. He isnt that tall I stood up next him a few times[even though I do not know him] and he actually sat the row below us during one game when they didnt play the same day as Truman. I can say this though he is built like a rock. I say hes about 5 8 220 pounds. He is very fast and runs low to the ground. The biggest postive about him is he goes north south. I would kind of compare him to a more finesse Maurice Jones Drew. Hes doing very well in college and does not look out of place. He orginally committed to I beileve Virgina Tech but they wanted to play him at db. The only school that would play him at rb was West Virgina and he became the starter by accident. He was 5th on the depth chart and WV's top four running backs I beileve in a week's time all were injured and the rest is history. When the starter got back he was moved to second string. He's been a legend up in my area since he was a sophmore. It would be weird if we got him because I really do think hes going to finish up as the 2nd best running back in college this season. Opinions and tell me about some of these other guys below. Im most interested in Sweed from Texas, Manningham from Michgan, and Tyson Jackson. Also, Derrick Harvey, how did he do in comparsion to Gaines Adams this season? Thanks guys.

1. Raiders: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas - McFadden ran for 182 yards against LSU, which is basically an NFL team. Character questions, but these are the Raiders.

2. Texans: Jake Long, OT, Michigan - After Matt Schaub gets sacked as often as David Carr, Houston realizes it's still got a problem.

3. Vikings: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville - Strong running game, and no passing game translates to 4-12 for the Vikes in 2007.

4. Lions: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami - I was tempted to put the top WR on the board here, but Matt Millen may not be around to run the draft.

5. Buccaneers: Sam Baker, LT, USC - Will this be the first pick of the post-Gruden era?

6. Dolphins: Chad Henne, QB, Michigan - The ‘Fins make up for controversial '07 pick of an Ohio State WR by taking a Michigan QB. You have to love the symmetry.

7. Cardinals: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida - Pass-rushers are always valuable.

8. Titans: Kenny Phillips, S, Miami - Phillips gets the edge over Antoine Cason.

9. Cowboys (via Browns): Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU - Strong D-lineman for Wade Phillips' defense.

10. Falcons: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas - Tempted to go QB here, but only if the Falcons are bad enough to get Brohm.

11. Bills: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College - Love those BC linemen.

12. Packers: DeSean Jackson, WR, California - Finally a playmaker for Favre. Just a year too late.

13. Giants: Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia - The new Tiki.

14. Rams: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU - Dorsey is LSU's defensive star, but falls a bit because of lack of NFL size (6-foot-2, 299).

15. Chiefs: Keith Rivers, OLB, USC - If the Trojans dominate this year, all their prospects will look good.

16. Jaguars: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan - They want to take over the Lions' title of team that takes the most WRs in the first round.

17. Eagles: Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC - Hard to tell if the Eagles will be at 7 or 27. All depends on Donovan McNabb.

18. Panthers: Early Doucet, WR, LSU - Doucet benefits from how well the LSU WRs taken this year play.

19. Steelers: Paul Oliver, CB, Georgia - I wasn't sure whether to put the Steelers at No. 28 or No. 8. All depends on Mike Tomlin.

20. Jets: Frank Okam, DT, Texas - Not necessarily an Eric Mangini kind of guy, but might fill need at nose tackle.

21. Ravens: Shawn Crable, LB - Can play multiple positions Adalius Thomas-style.

22. Commanders: Vince Hall, LB, Va. Tech - The ‘Skins actually have picks this year!

23. Seahawks: John David Booty, QB, USC - Matt Hasselbeck isn't getting any younger ... or any more hair.

24. Patriots (via 49ers): James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State - Passed on LBs early on in this draft.

25. Cowboys: Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State - Will learn from a Terrell Owens just like Dwayne Jarrett will learn from Keyshawn Johnson in Carolina. (Meaning this is T.O.'s last year in Big D.)

26. Chargers: Dan Conner, LB, Penn State - Conner is probably a better pro prospect than the Bills' second-round pick Paul Posluszny.

27. Bears: Chris Long, DE, Virginia - Howie's kid.

28. Broncos: Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers - Critics say he's too small, but is any running back really too small?

29. Bengals: Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State - The NFL now requires at least one Florida State defensive player to go in the first round every year.

30. 49ers (via Colts): Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona - I'm not thrilled with Cason's performance at the 2008 combine.

31. Saints: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii - Undersized system quarterback. Reminds me a little of a former Purdue quarterback.

32. Patriots: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas -- I'm assuming Asante Samuel plays for New England in '07 and then departs.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Way too early to be making those picks.

They have one of the oldest defenses, on top of lacking depth on that side of the ball winning the SB.

Not to mention some of the picks dont match with needs with or without this years draft.

playmakers

Reaction score
I just meant I wanted to get to know these player's past history. I agree, the draft order will not even be close to this but in terms of the player Im looking at.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I want to watch Howie's kid this year....did not realize he may be this good

VACowboy

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1487625 said:
I want to watch Howie's kid this year....did not realize he may be this good

Chris is a great college football player who I think will be an even better pro. The stats don't tell his story. At 6'4" and 284, he is always the #1 focus of every opposing offense. He faces double and triple teams on every play, and still produces: 53 tackles, 12 TFL, 21 QB pressures and 4 sacks in a 3-4 scheme. The talent around him isn't the greatest, but one guy to watch is the guy on the opposite end. His name is Jeffrey Fitzgerald, a 6'3", 279-lb. true freshman who lead the team in sacks.