Here My Take After Returning From The Game..

Reaction score
I just returned from watching the Cowboys/ Skins game. Here is my take on the game.

First, the coaching staff did a very poor job not only preparing for this game but make ZERO half-time adjustments.

What was Jason Garrett thinking? Everybody says he is ready to become a Head Coach in the NFL but when you have a poor game like this it makes you scratch your head. This is now the third game where Garrett gives the running game the cold-shoulder.

Go back to the Giants playoff loss. The Cowboys were running the ball very well against the Giants and in the second half, fail to get Barber the ball. End result, a loss. Another example of Garretts poor gameplan/ Half-time adjustments was against the Eagles in Dallas in December. Barber had eleven carries with the end result, A LOSS!

Sunday, what does Garrett do, totally forget about the run. Please, don't give the excuse that Garrett gave, " The style of Defense they were playing was forcing us to do some other Things,"Garrett".

Well, there is a thing called Half-Time adjustments and game-time adjustments.

There is no way that the Skins were that much better than our huge offensive line that the Cowboys couldn't run the ball, the Cowboys chose not to run the ball.

You have one of the best Power-Backs in football and you need to give him the ball at least 20-25 times/game. Even if you don't get alot of yards, at least you keep the defense honest. The Cowboys failed to even attempt to try to run the ball. Blame Garrett there!

I want to throw this out here to you guys. I remember Parcells always say you have to establish the run even if it's not getting you much." You need to be presistant,"Parcells".

I want to show you guys what happens when you have to throw the ball 40 times per game.

Kurt Warner(57 Attempts), Cutler(49), Schaub(40), Frerotte(43) and Romo(47) all ended up losing! Why? simple! You don't run the ball, you lose.

The same teams that I used in passing, I will show you what they did running the ball. Arizonia: James(29YDS), Young(49), Slaton(33), Peterson(80) and Barber(26).

Besides Peterson who had a decent day, the rest did nothing and their teams all lost. In contrast, the Skins, Portis(121), Graham(111), Jamal Lewis(79) and Larry Johnson(198) teams all won.

So, if the Cowboys are thinking SuperBowl, they better get more consistantcy from Jason Garrett because his play calling, IMO, has cost us in three NFC East games the last two years.

Now, I don't want to give and beat up on Garrett to much because he has be very good thus far.

The defense and coach Stewart get a little break from me because they were put in bad situations because the offense couldn't sustain drives. But, I will have to say that they did play more man than Zone this time but I didn't see our CB's re-routing their smallish receivers. Also, where was the blitz up the middle? That is where Zach Thomas and Bradie James bread and butter is.

Why didn't Dallas make adjustments with Watkins? He is the weak-link. This was something I was worried about when RW went down. I am not sure why Dallas didn't go more Cover 1? I know that Watkins came out and was replaced by a CB in some situations. Watkins needs to be replaced, IMO and now am almost looking forward to RW coming back, in a strange way.

The Special Teams, well, didn't look so special. This unit looked like the unit of the preseason. After having Felix Jones looking like a budding star on the return game, the unit game back down to earth. The blocking didn't create enough of holes for Felix to find any daylight. Give the Skins credit for good coverage and kicking the ball away from Felix toward the sidelines.

The bottom line, the Cowboys lost all three parts of the game, offense, defense and Special Teams. Throw in a turnover and a costly and untimely flags(Which are like turnovers) did the Boyz in.

So, it looks like it's back to the drawling board for Garrett and this coaching staff.

I will say that I have plenty of confidence that the coaching staff will get things corrected and the will punish the Bungles 35-10 come Sunday at 3:00 and all will be forgotten or at least be able to move on.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Thanks for the Stats, it makes things a lot clearer, now excuse me while I bury my head back in the toilet..ggrRHHGhgghghghgh

Reaction score
landryscorner;2297851 said:
Thanks for the Stats, it makes things a lot clearer, now excuse me while I bury my head back in the toilet..ggrRHHGhgghghghgh

Your Welcome! Hey, take some Pepto! Look, this could be a good thing that this has happened early in the season. It's early enough to learn from your mistakes and also makes this team know that no matter what the media says good or bad you are as good as your last game. The Cowboys have something to prove.

dfense

Reaction score
Zero halftime adjustments? Maybe on defense, but the offense came out, went down the field and scored.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
dfense;2298548 said:
Zero halftime adjustments? Maybe on defense, but the offense came out, went down the field and scored.

Force feeding the ball to Owens isn't a half time adjustment, it just happened to work for that drive. The 'Skins probably expected an adjustment and thought run.

The 2nd half was the same as the first: abandon the rushing game and keep trying to throw the ball.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I really thought we would see more of Felix in the Second half. As fas as ST's go, I thought the Commanders did a great job of Pinning Felix near the sidelines and staying in their lanes.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2298646 said:
I really thought we would see more of Felix in the Second half. As fas as ST's go, I thought the Commanders did a great job of Pinning Felix near the sidelines and staying in their lanes.

Yep. And their CBs did a great job on our WRs. And their DL did a great job getting after Romo and stopping our run. And their OL did a great job opening holes. And their coaches did a great job game planning and getting the players to buy into it and execute it. I think I'm going to be sick.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
Teams don't necessarily win because they run, they run because they are winning. while I agree that we should have run more, one reason teams pass a bunch and forget the run is because they are losing.

Green28

Reaction score
jobberone;2298669 said:
Yep. And their CBs did a great job on our WRs. And their DL did a great job getting after Romo and stopping our run. And their OL did a great job opening holes. And their coaches did a great job game planning and getting the players to buy into it and execute it. I think I'm going to be sick.

Best post ever on CZ! Kudos.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Strange that you didn't mention anything about Terrence Newman. In case you didn't notice, he stunk and cost the team big. Is Newman going to be able to cover Cincy's WRs this week? I have my doubts.