Here's how I think the first three rounds should shake out.

Reaction score
Since everyone's got an opinion, I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring too.

ROUND 1: I know most would like to see us take a receiver here but I don't think it's going to happen. I say that because I don't think a receiver outside of Ted Ginn get's many snaps if any, on this team with what we have in place right now and Mr. Ginn will be long gone by the time we pick.

PICK: Arron Ross CB Texas
With T.new in a contract year and A.glenn in his twilight and so many questions about Henry, it's the perfect pick. You can never have enough Jim Thorpe Award winners on your team. Besides I still think Watkins is the Free safety of the future.

ROUND 2: This is where we get our WR of the future. He can sit and learn from the top guys for a year and then compete for a starting spot next year. With so many Recievers bunched up at the end of rond one, a few are bound to fall.

PICK: Jason Hill WR Wash. St.
He's got the size and he definately got the jets (4.32) I'm not sure if he's your future 1 or 2 receiver, but who cares! We need some speed on this team and he fits the bill.

ROUND 3: This is where if I'm Jerry I take a gamble on a really good talent that has fallen or may have some character issues. At this point there's no one left that could possible start for us anyway.

PICK: Walter Thomas NT Miss CC
Quite simply, the man is a beast! 6'5" 370+ Strong as an Ox and amazingly quick (5.11). I don't care if he is said to have character issues. Heck he could have killed his momma for all I care! You do not find many Human beings with these types of mearsuables on the planet. Most boards have him as a second day pick but I think a team that has the luxary of drafting for the future will take a chance on him sooner. I hope it's us. He could get schooled from Fergie while earning some snaps.

OK take your best shot.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Any team that takes Thomas in the 3rd needs to have a CAT scan.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
abersonc;1452079 said:

Agreed.

It's a crapshoot if the guy gets drafted in any round.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feh on the second round pick too. Hill is a 3rd rounder if he's lucky.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I'm alright with it. Maybe a little reach on the NT but I don't know much about him so I can't discuss it intelligently. but I'm ok with the 1st 2 rnds.:D

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
I would honestly feel like we had wasted our first day if that was the draft. Aaron Ross is not a true first Rd CB (see: 51 catches allowed for 700+ yards and 5TDs this season) and is merely seeing his stock rise because it's a weak CB class. Jason Hill just doesn't have great explosion and doesnt get very good separation and I seriously question his ability to become an effective NFL WR. And then Walter Thomas, we're investing a 3rd round pick on a guy who played at a community college last year, there's a huge learning curve there and I doubt his ability to step in and contribute in the first few years. I'd be fine with Thomas as a late Rd pick, but not a Day 1 selection.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you elaborate on Walter Thomas' character issues?

I haven't heard about character issues, I've heard about academic ones.

And the 3rd round is way too early to draft a small-school prospect, not matter how huge he is.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
I'd rather have Revis or Nelson over Ross...Hill would not be my guy, I'd take whichever WR slips down at that time (Rice, Bowe, Gonzales?), then in the 3rd maybe Manny Ramirez....

I could live with Ross, but the rest...feh.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc;1452079 said:

Would that be before you apply the Ballpein or after?

;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1452106 said:
I'd rather have Revis or Nelson over Ross...Hill would not be my guy, I'd take whichever WR slips down at that time (Rice, Bowe, Gonzales?), then in the 3rd maybe Manny Ramirez....

I could live with Ross, but the rest...feh.

Why would you take Gonzales over a guy like Hill?

tm1119

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1452169 said:

Ive really been wondering the same thing. A lot of people are saying no to Hill but saying to take guys like Ginn or Jarett in the 1st. Makes no sense to me. Everything points to more talent in Hill, Im just not seeing whats wrong with him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
tm1119;1452294 said:
Ive really been wondering the same thing. A lot of people are saying no to Hill but saying to take guys like Ginn or Jarett in the 1st. Makes no sense to me. Everything points to more talent in Hill, Im just not seeing whats wrong with him.

For me, I just am not as impressed with Gonzales as some others might be. He really only started one year. His entire career at Ohio State, he only caught 87 balls. 1286 yards, 13 TDs. He's not a threat to break one. He can't run by you. He isn't great after the catch. I mean, he's a good player in the sense that he can be a complementary type 3rd or 4th WR but I don't ever see him being more then that. To me, he was effective because of Ginn. Take Ginn away or somebody like him and he's a WR that will get shut out in the NFL. At least, that's my opinion of him. I just can't see spending a 2nd or 3rd rd pick on that type of player. Especially over a guy like Hill who has been the main focus of defenses in college and has still managed to produce. JMO.

tm1119

Reaction score
Not to mention that Hill had anything but elite talent around him at Wash. St. He was THE main focus of defensives and he still managed to dominate when he was on the field.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Some (*&%#eo(*&%#9l875e have been saying Gonzalez is as fast as Ginn. But to me that just means he knows how to run a 40. If you watch OSU, Ginn is on a different level than almsot any other player.

Im with you in the WR's falling thing, this is a deep pool. If theres a Jarvis Moss, Branch, Leon Hall ect. there take them or even trade up if they fall within reach then grab a WR later

Or if Ginn is there take him

jay cee

Reaction score
stasheroo;1452105 said:
Can you elaborate on Walter Thomas' character issues?

I haven't heard about character issues, I've heard about academic ones.

And the 3rd round is way too early to draft a small-school prospect, not matter how huge he is.

Would Sonoma State be considered a small school?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
jay cee;1452790 said:
Would Sonoma State be considered a small school?

Uh, no. Not when compared to a community college.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1452169 said:
I prefer a WR who has strength to go along with his speed...which Gonzalez has. He has some of the most surest hands as well. I just think he is more of a sure bet than Hill.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1452999 said:
I prefer a WR who has strength to go along with his speed...which Gonzalez has. He has some of the most surest hands as well. I just think he is more of a sure bet than Hill.

I don't know that either of them lifted at the combine but OK.