Holding Calls - Need rule change

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
After watching another season and seeing how much a holding call penalizes a team, I think the penalty needs to change. 10 yards plus the gain on the play is just too much of a penalty. Look at what it does:

1. The offense has a 1st and 10
2. They run the ball for 3 yards and a hold is called
3. They ref marches off 10 yards from the original line of scrimmage
4. The O now has a 1st and 20

The not only get penalized 10 yards plus they lose the gain from the play. Since you can call holding on EVERY play and a 1st and 20 is pretty much the death of a drive, is this really a reasonable penality of 10 yards plus losing the down?

I think a holding should be 5 yards. It would be more inline with impact on the play.

It drives me nuts when we get a ticky tacky holding and it kills our drive :bang2:

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
FLCowboyFan;1298945 said:
After watching another season and seeing how much a holding call penalizes a team, I think the penalty needs to change. 10 yards plus the gain on the play is just too much of a penalty. Look at what it does:

The not only get penalized 10 yards plus they lose the gain from the play. Since you can call holding on EVERY play and a 1st and 20 is pretty much the death of a drive, is this really a reasonable penality of 10 yards plus losing the down?

I think a holding should be 5 yards. It would be more inline with impact on the play.

It drives me nuts when we get a ticky tacky holding and it kills our drive :bang2:

I believe it used to be five yards as recently as the early 80s, but it was changed to ten because guys were holding defensive lineman to avoid their QB from getting sacked. This usually saved the offense anywhere from 5 to 10 yards depending on how far back the QB had dropped back.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
How about tweaking it where if the hold is where the play is happening, then you get the full 10 yards. But, if its way from the play, like they mentioned this evening between NY and Philly, its only 5. Kind of like the P.I. and Facemask rules?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Waffle;1298953 said:
I believe it used to be five yards as recently as the early 80s, but it was changed to ten because guys were holding defensive lineman to avoid their QB from getting sacked. This usually saved the offense anywhere from 5 to 10 yards depending on how far back the QB had dropped back.
A flagrant distinction could cure this. If it's a blatant hold that affect the player it could be 10 yards, but a minimal hold that is away from the play doesn't deserve 10 yards, in my opinion.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
They need to make pass interference reviewable. Too many games swayed by bad calls in this area, and too many junk yards.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Wheat;1298962 said:
How about tweaking it where if the hold is where the play is happening, then you get the full 10 yards. But, if its way from the play, like they mentioned this evening between NY and Philly, its only 5. Kind of like the P.I. and Facemask rules?

That could be the weakest holding call I have seen in 30+ years of watching football. Unbelievable.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
How about they tweak that "defenseless receiver" call? Or I guess they could just call it correctly as it is now.

I know, how bout take away the "running through the hold" exception to holding calls.

j_welcome

Reaction score

Holding penalties are acutally 10 yards from the spot of the foul. Generally when holding on a running play, the back has not had a chance to get past the line of scrimmage. When holding occurs down field (usually from a WR/TE), the ball is marked from the spot. These are where you get your 1st & 13 situations.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Waffle;1298953 said:
I don't ever remember offensive holding being 5 yards.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
How about just calling it against Ware and other members of our team for once equivalent in the number to the inordinate amount of times they call it against our offensive lineman?

jimmy40

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1299049 said:
How about just calling it against Ware and other members of our team for once equivalent in the number to the inordinate amount of times they call it against our offensive lineman?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Watch Marco Rivera hold and quit whining.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
The biggest problem with holding is it is not called the way it should. Last night Fergie had Hasselbeck for a sack until the oline grabbed his arm as he went by.....no call.

I guess he ran through the attempted hold. :D

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
jimmy40;1299054 said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Watch Marco Rivera hold and quit whining.

I've never seen someone agree so positively with calls against our team more so than for our team. You're a bigger whiner against our team than for it.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
I like the "it depends on the effect on the play" tweak. It is common for other penalties so why not

alancdc

Reaction score

There was a hold tonight on the last drive that the Giants did score on that was maybe the worst holding call I have ever witnessed. I am so sick of the refs, and their inconsistencies! One rule that needs to be changed, and it is ignorant not to is out of freakin bounds. I don't care if forward progress is stopped it you go out of bounds, YOU ARE OUT OF FREAKIN BOUNDS! Half the time they rule it clock stopped, and half the time they run it. It is a joke. This just in, if you are out of bounds, you are out of bbounds no matter how you got there!