Hollywood Squares: Old School

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
The original Hollywood Squares had some of the great one-liners in history...

Here are a few of the funnier ones...

Peter Marshall: Do female frogs croak?
Paul Lynde: If you hold their little heads under water long enough.

Peter Marshall: If you're going to make a parachute jump, at least how high should you be?
Charley Weaver: Three days of steady drinking should do it.

Peter Marshall: Paul, little boys don't like them, grown men crave them.
Paul Lynde: A spanking

Peter Marshall: According to Zsa Zsa, does black look sexy on a woman?
Redd Foxx: I wouldn't have it any other way.

Peter Marshall: Is it possible for the puppies in a litter to have more than one daddy?
Paul Lynde: Why, that BlTCH!

Peter Marshall: True or False, a pea can last as long as 5,000 years.
George Gobel: Boy, it sure seems that way sometimes.

Peter Marshall: Imagine you are a child in your mother's womb, can you detect light?
Paul Lynde: Only during ballet practice.

Peter Marshall: You've been having trouble going to sleep. Are you probably a man or a woman?
Don Knotts: That's what's been keeping me awake.

Peter Marshall: According to Movie Life magazine, Ann-Margaret would like to start having babies soon, but her husband wants her to wait a while. Why?
Paul Lynde: He's out of town.

Peter Marshall: According to Cosmo, if you meet a stranger at a party and you think that he is attractive, is it okay to come out and ask him if he's married?
Rose Marie: No, wait until morning.

Peter Marshall: According to the IRS, out of every 10 Americans audited, how many end up paying more taxes?
Paul Lynde: 11.

Peter Marshall: Which of your five senses tends to diminish as you get older?
Charley Weaver: My sense of decency.

Peter Marshall: What are "Do It," "I Can Help," and "I Can't Get Enough"?
George Gobel: I don't know, but it's coming from the next apartment.

Peter Marshall: As you grow older, do you tend to gesture more or less with your hands while talking?
Rose Marie: You ask me one more growing old question Peter, and I'll give you a gesture you'll never forget.

Peter Marshall: Paul, why do Hell's Angels wear leather?
Paul Lynde: Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.

Peter Marshall: Charley, you've just decided to grow strawberries. Are you going to get any during the first year?
Charley Weaver: Of course not, I'm too busy growing strawberries.

Peter Marshall: According to Tony Randall, "Every woman I've been intimate with in my life has been..." what?
Paul Lynde: Bitterly disappointed.

Peter Marshall: In bowling, what's a perfect score?
Rose Marie: Ralph, the pin boy.

Peter Marshall: It is considered in bad taste to discuss two subjects at nudist camps. One is politics, what is the other?
Paul Lynde: Tape measures.

Peter Marshall: During a tornado, are you safer in the bedroom or in the closet?
Rose Marie: Unfortunately Peter, I'm always safe in the bedroom.

Peter Marshall: Can boys join the Camp Fire Girls?
Marty Allen: Only after lights out.

Peter Marshall: When you pat a dog on its head he will wag his tail. What will a goose do?
Paul Lynde: Make him bark?

Peter Marshall: If you were pregnant for two years, what would you give birth to?
Paul Lynde: Whatever it is, it would never be afraid of the dark.

Peter Marshall: According to Ann Landers, is there anything wrong with getting into the habit of kissing a lot of people?
Charley Weaver: It got me out of the army.

Peter Marshall: In Hawaiian, does it take more than three words to say "I love you"?
Vincent Price: No, you can say it with a pineapple and a twenty.

Peter Marshall: While visiting China, your tour guide starts shouting "Poo! Poo! Poo!" What does this mean?
George Gobel: Cattle crossing.

Peter Marshall: It is the most abused and neglected part of your body, what is it?
Paul Lynde: Mine may be abused but it certainly isn't neglected.

Peter Marshall: Back in the old days, when Great Grandpa put horseradish on his head, what was he trying to do?
George Gobel: Get it in his mouth.

Peter Marshall: Who stays pregnant for a longer period of time, your wife or your elephant?
Paul Lynde: Who told you about my elephant?

Peter Marshall: When a couple have a baby, who is responsible for its sex?
Charley Weaver: I'll lend him the car, the rest is up to him.

Peter Marshall: Paul, can you get an elephant drunk?
Paul Lynde: Yes, but it still won't go up to your apartment.

Peter Marshall: Jackie Gleason recently revealed that he firmly believes in them and has actually seen them on at least two occasions. What are they?
Charley Weaver: His feet.

Peter Marshall: According to Ann Landers, what are two things you should never do in bed?
Paul Lynde: Point and Laugh!

Peter Marshall: Paul, true of false? During the early Roman wars, men rode their horses into battle totally nude.
Paul Lynde: Who said that war is hell.​

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good stuff....Paul always made me laugh...just like Charles Nelson Reilley did on Match Game.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Good stuff....Paul always made me laugh...just like Charles Nelson Reilley did on Match Game.

That's quite a duo there, BP. LOL

What amazes me is how quick they are with those responses. Funny stuff.

trickblue

Reaction score
True... Paul was an old queen... but his quick wit and delivery is among the best of anyone that ever did comedy... he always cracked me up...

paul_partyboy.jpg

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Very funny, but I am sure they never script those things. ;)

trickblue

Reaction score
junk said:
Very funny, but I am sure they never script those things. ;)

I was reading about HS last year after seeing Biography on Paul Lynde...

They way it worked is that each star was given a few answers to choose from or they could ad-lib their own...

They said Lynde, Weaver, Gobel and Rose Marie frequently went with their own lines...

The way they did the shows was to do 5 (a weeks worth) every Monday... they had breaks after the third (Wednesday) show... with a catered meal including all the wine you could drink...

Lynde used to drink the wine like it was water and he said the tapings went in order as the first show was was the Monday show... the second the Tuesday show... etc...

He said the Lynde got drunk every week during the tapings and that his one-liners got much saucier on the Thursday and Friday tapings...

They said towards the end of his life that he stayed so drunk and high that they HAD to feed him answers because he was so incoherent... but his smirky delivery was always pure gold...

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
trickblue said:
True... Paul was an old queen... but his quick wit and delivery is among the best of anyone that ever did comedy... he always cracked me up...

paul_partyboy.jpg

Paul Lynde was hilarious, much better than Whoopie.

And he was Templeton.

jamez25

Reaction score
that Jackie Gleason one was hilarious....thanks for the laugh .