CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Holmes may be looking to get out - with the money

spacer.gif

[size=-1]BY JASON WHITLOCK[/size]
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Kansas City Star[/size]
spacer.gif

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Bruises are a lot like the concept of playing sports for the love of the game: They go away.

Priest Holmes, as best we can tell, has a bruise/injury that is affecting his back or spine. If you play football (or just about any sport) long enough, there's a pretty good chance you'll suffer an injury that causes discomfort in your back.

Mike Sweeney has been playing baseball with back pain for the last few years. I'm sure there are doctors who would tell Sweeney he's foolish for continuing to play. An honest doctor would tell any athlete that it's foolish to play football at all. Every football player - high school, collegian or pro - is always one violent collision away from being carried off the field.

I mention this because I listened to Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil's impromptu press conference discussing Holmes' latest season-ending injury, and I understand their reluctance to label Holmes' injury as career-ending.

"At this time, we consider this not to be a career-ending injury," Peterson said.

Bruises go away. Contracts don't. So the Chiefs have placed Holmes on injured reserve and announced their intention to have him re-examined in 30 days. Peterson said that doctors have led him to believe that Holmes will completely recover.

Of course, that doesn't mean Holmes will play football again.

As I listened to Peterson and Vermeil on Wednesday afternoon, I heard two football businessmen justifiably posturing. They were respectful and supportive of Holmes, but they accurately painted the picture that if Holmes exits the NFL after this season, it should be viewed as a voluntary retirement ... unless doctors find a more significant injury.

And if Holmes retires, the Chiefs would have a right to ask for a portion of the bonus money they committed to Holmes before the 2003 season. If Holmes suffered a football-related injury that prevented him from playing again, then the Chiefs couldn't ask for a return of their money.

My take, and this is purely opinion, is that Holmes wants to walk away from football as long as he can get out with all of his money. Holmes has always been more businessman than football player. Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football.

What drove Holmes his first two years in Kansas City was his desire to land a new, restructured contract. After one year in Kansas City, he dumped his agent, signed a new one and started asking the Chiefs for more money. He landed a new deal before his third season in KC, and he put together a record-breaking year to justify the new deal.

Since then, Holmes has struggled with motivation, contemplated retirement and been a total mystery to Vermeil and Peterson. They have no idea what he's thinking day to day. On Wednesday, Vermeil was reduced to quoting Holmes' father about Holmes' injury. Vermeil blamed the local media for Holmes' enigmatic behavior concerning this latest season-ending injury.

My belief is Holmes has proved all he wants to prove as it relates to football. He won a Super Bowl with Baltimore. He established himself as a great player in Kansas City. He got paid.

At age 32 and with no more new-contract leverage thanks to Larry Johnson, Holmes would much rather munch nachos in a stadium suite than practice three hours a day with Vermeil. Holmes is not much different from his old Texas teammate Ricky Williams. They play football because they're good at it, not because they love the game.

I'm not trying to belittle the potential significance of Holmes' health concerns. But when you play football, you get bruised everywhere and you ignore the risk. My roommate in college, a 160-pound cornerback, hurt his neck and shoulder in a game his junior year, and his left arm was paralyzed for 10 days. Doctors suggested that he shouldn't play his senior year. He started and played every game.

I'm sure there are doctors who think Tedy Bruschi is crazy, playing nine months after suffering a stroke.

The Chiefs should just move on and acknowledge that Holmes somewhat outsmarted them at the negotiating table before the 2003 season. And we should all give Carl Peterson credit for drafting Larry Johnson. Maybe Carl had Holmes figured out long ago.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
My take, and this is purely opinion, is that Holmes wants to walk away from football as long as he can get out with all of his money. Holmes has always been more businessman than football player. Holmes has never had the kind of deep, Ray Lewis, Mike Maslowski love of football.

Priest must be one hell of a business man because he is a great football player!

lspain1

Reaction score
Let's see, Priest is not really hurt, and if he really wanted to he could continue to play. Oh, and he really isn't all that committed to football anyway because Mr. Whitlock thinks he has 'struggled with motivation.'

Now I don't know Priest Holmes, but its my opinion that Jason Whitlock is the southbound end of a northbound horse and his article shows the arrogance and attitude that epitomize much of the press these days. The whole thing oozes with jealousy and anger.

Jason, RB's at the age of 32 are most of the time a fragile commodity. Don't question his motivation because he got injured. I'm sure if you received a spinal injury, you would just shrug it off and not consider any changes to your life to improve your chances of living the rest of it in a healthy fashion.

What Crap! :ralph:

burmafrd

Reaction score
This awesome person really torques me off. He sits there behind his computer and criticises a guy
that has to be thinking that at anytime he could be paralyzed from one hit.
Lets put him in pads and have LA work him over for a few plays- then lets see what he has to say (assuming LA leaves him in any condition to say anything).

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Yea not to mention there's more to life than playing sports, especially by the time you're 32.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I really don't see how one can really compare the injuries in two athletes that play two different sports. Not to mention I've never really viewed a first baseman as a very athletic position. The running back position by its very nature is going to get you hit everytime you touch the ball.

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Let's see, Priest is not really hurt, and if he really wanted to he could continue to play. Oh, and he really isn't all that committed to football anyway because Mr. Whitlock thinks he has 'struggled with motivation.'

Now I don't know Priest Holmes, but its my opinion that Jason Whitlock is the southbound end of a northbound horse and his article shows the arrogance and attitude that epitomize much of the press these days. The whole thing oozes with jealousy and anger.

Jason, RB's at the age of 32 are most of the time a fragile commodity. Don't question his motivation because he got injured. I'm sure if you received a spinal injury, you would just shrug it off and not consider any changes to your life to improve your chances of living the rest of it in a healthy fashion.

What Crap! :ralph:

I agree......I read somewhere that he had a neck injury quite similar to the one Irving suffered against Philly which ended his career in the NFL! :mad: (that is the problem with being an old guy, you can't ever remember where you read or heard something!) :D

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
This is the question I was asking yesterday, he won't retire unless he medically can't play because he wants his $$$, you can't blame him, he earned them...

Eskimo

Reaction score
Even if there is a shred of truth to this (re: his injury is not career threatening and he wants to retire), I think the Chiefs got their monies worth out of Holmes for his production over the last 5 seasons - he was horribly underpaid the first two years.

Besides, everyone in football knows that giving large SBs to RBs over the age of 30 is not intelligent. They only got themselves to blame.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I agree that Priest has never had love for football. He made a business decision to work hard to overcome some serious injuries in college and the pros. He made a business decision to work hard to over come not being drafted. He made a business decision to work hard and become a top running back after Balitmore let him go. None of those business decisions had anything to do with love of the game.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but comparing playing with a bruised back in baseball, and playing with a bruised back in football are impossible.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Nice to know you guys are smarter than the average bear by not buying into this kinda crap. Man, talk about an agenda.......................GEEZ.

arglebargle

Reaction score
And this for the Chiefs, whose GM, Carl Peterson, does such wonderful things as pull clauses out of contracts right before the signing, in hopes that the player and his agent won't notice.