Holy cow! Pat McQuistan is our best offensive lineman drafted by Bill Parcells!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I'm not doggin Parcells' drafts. Lord knows the man has done more for the Cowboys roster and depth than anyone since Jimmy Johnson. But if anything prevents us from winning the Super Bowl, it's his complete and utter failure on the line during his 3 years in Dallas.

I just can't believe a man who rose to fame in the NFL for his fighters on the trenches -- and a guy who has found so many talents on the line in the later rounds on previous teams -- has failed so miserably in the drafts with our linemen. Rogers.... cut! Peterman... cut! Petitti.... cut! Al Johnson.... won't be re-signed. E.J. Whitley... cut!

Yeah, MCQ is a rookie who hasn't faced the regular season yet, but you can really tell the Cowboys like this guy more than any rookie on the line since Bill has taken over. He's learning quickly. He's done an impressive job in the preseason so far, especially for a 7th rounder.

Here's hoping next year's draft lands some impressive young talent on the line.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He also took Columbo off the trash heap and seems to have turned him around .... so you have to give him credit for that.

Woods

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm not doggin Parcells' drafts. Lord knows the man has done more for the Cowboys roster and depth than anyone since Jimmy Johnson. But if anything prevents us from winning the Super Bowl, it's his complete and utter failure on the line during his 3 years in Dallas.

I just can't believe a man who rose to fame in the NFL for his fighters on the trenches has failed so miserably in the drafts with our linemen. Rogers.... cut! Peterman... cut! Petitti.... cut! Al Johnson.... won't be re-signed. E.J. Whitley... cut!

Yeah, MCQ is a rookie who hasn't faced the regular season yet, but you can really tell the Cowboys like this guy more than any rookie on the line since Bill has taken over. He's learning quickly. He's done an impressive job in the preseason so far, especially for a 7th rounder.

Wasn't Whitley placed on IR?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
zrinkill said:
He also took Columbo off the trash heap and seems to have turned him around .... so you have to give him credit for that.

Yup, credit for the projects. And again, this is not a trash Parcells thread, I just can't believe how much bad luck he's had with his linemen in the draft. I really thought these were the positions we'd have the least amount of problems with once Bill took over.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Woods said:
Wasn't Whitley placed on IR?

Probably. I'm jumping to conclusions. I just don't give a 7th rounder with that type of injury in his first year much of a chance for making a further impact. Hope I'm wrong.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Well, it's gonna take both a fully reborn Colombo and an elite career out of McQ for Bill to get his linemen rep back to 'even'.

Ken

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

I just can't believe a man who rose to fame in the NFL for his fighters on the trenches -- and a guy who has found so many talents on the line in the later rounds on previous teams -- has failed so miserably in the drafts with our linemen. Rogers.... cut! Peterman... cut! Petitti.... cut! Al Johnson.... won't be re-signed. E.J. Whitley... cut!

Don't forget Proctor too. He seems like another one that they are high on and he has impressed me from what i have seen.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Ken said:
Don't forget Proctor too. He seems like another one that they are high on and he has impressed me from what i have seen.

Yeah, he's come along too, I hope these projects make up for the draft failures. I'd really like to see another Big E, Larry Allen, Nate Newton, ANYBODY in Big D. Just give me one rookie that shows the promise of a legendary mauler.

goshan

Reaction score
Sure Bill is high on McQ and Proctor right now.
But will they be on the roster next year?

Don't be so sure.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Technically, Al Johnson is the best offensive lineman on our roster drafted by Bill Parcells.

Kosier and Columbo really need to pan out this year...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Yeah, we really need to develop a probowl caliber player from within on the OL. Would be nice, but we might be a ways from that right now.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Oline is the hardest unit to build...because they are the key to the offense...so getting good solid players that are smart is what I hope Parcells and JJ are doing...?

We will find out later...
:) :star:

JPM

Reaction score
Who is the last good lineman we have drafted ? The only name I can come up with is LA ? I have to be missing someone !

ratpower

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Well, it's gonna take both a fully reborn Colombo and an elite career out of McQ for Bill to get his linemen rep back to 'even'.

Agreed...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
JPM said:
Who is the last good lineman we have drafted ? The only name I can come up with is LA ? I have to be missing someone !

Flozell Adams was drafted in 98.......Larry Allen 94

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I know it isn't a bash Parcells thread - but considering there are what, 4 players on the roster from before his tenure, there was bound to be a unit he couldn't rebuild totally in 4 years. It just happens he's had some bad luck at the position. Hopefully that will change when we can focus on our offense in the upcoming drafts.

I prefer to focus on the positive, that the following positions are enormously improved since his arrival:

QB
RB
WR
TE
DE
DT
LB
CB

Safety and Kicker are a wash.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
JPM said:

Good.....andre Gurode 2nd or 3rd round out of Colorado

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I think he may still be behind the curve even with those two panning out. This is a 'What Have You Done For Me Lately' business and lately his O-line decisions have not been that great. It would help if he would hire a decent O-line coach too.

If Kosier pans out it will help BP's rep too but a lot of that credit will go to Ireland.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

...problem looming in the background. Rivera and Fabini are not spring chickens. Flozell is an eight year vet already. Columbo has already experienced a "major" injury and he's only turned it around after two years!

As all players age they begin to experience injuries such as Flozell, Rivera and Fabini have run into. The risk increases with each passing year although these guys are right in their prime.

Do we have a roster of up and coming replacements who will enter into the fray within tow to three years when some of these guys want to call it quits or they stop performing at an acceptable level?

At this point I don't see it and it poses both a concern in the future and in the present if there is an injury. We may be two players away from regretting the release of Pettiti and the retaining of Suisham.

Imagine if two starting lineman and Vandy go down?:eek::