How about this schedule idea?

punit328

Reaction score
First off, I know this would never happen. I am personally sick of playing our division rivals 2 times a year. What if the NFL scrapped the two divisional games and instead added inter-conference and non-conference games to the schedule for the future?. As far as the division games go, it would be cool to play those games once a year like they do in college with Michigan vs Ohio state, etc. What say you?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'd rather play NFCE teams twice than have more games against teams like the Cards, Browns, Texans, etc.

You still won't hit competitive balance in scheduling

blueblood70

Reaction score
First off, I know this would never happen. I am personally sick of playing our division rivals 2 times a year. What if the NFL scrapped the two divisional games and instead added inter-conference and non-conference games to the schedule for the future?. As far as the division games go, it would be cool to play those games once a year like they do in college with Michigan vs Ohio state, etc. What say you?
This is part of the sport we are all comfortable with this I mean this is how you settle a division it's not right to only play at home or away I mean that's the reason you play them twice you settle it on the road to get the edge... I mean you do realize that's why they do this you have to play them twice it would not be fair play to determine whether you play at home or away each year so you play them twice that's the only way you can settle a division on who's the division winner not by playing other teams and other conferences they use those for tiebreakers...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
With the current trajectory of Washington and New York I'm a big fan of playing them as often as possible.

It is an interesting thought though. Baseball last year went to a model with fewer divisional games and made a schedule where every team played every other team in the AL & NL and I thought it worked out quite well. Baseball is a little bit different animal as it tends to be more of a sport where fans only watch local games 90% of the time so they needed a way to get their stars exposure nationwide. This is a problem the NFL certainly doesn't have.

I could see the benefit IF the NFL felt that it could help bring back the excitement of rivalry games, something that it seems the NFL has lost the last couple decades. Not sure that would accomplish the goal but sometimes a less is more approach can be good. I could also see the benefit if there was data supporting the idea that getting more of the rare games like the Cowboys V Browns would produce better ratings. I think it would be bad for the legitimacy of divisions though, and you'd almost need to just move to a 2 conference system, do away with divisions and take the top 7 each year from each side.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yes, I would welcome with open arms a change. I am tired of playing the same three teams twice every year. Plus, the divisions and the way they group them make no sense.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of the division is the home and away series for each team. Having a home game one year then an away game the next really is not a competitive balance as the NFL likes.

College is different because of less games.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be a new school vs. old school thread all over again. :laugh::popcorn:

It has worked this way for years, so why change it. If your car runs well on regular oil that has been around since the invention of the automobile. Then why change to synthetic if not required.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I'd rather play NFCE teams twice than have more games against teams like the Cards, Browns, Texans, etc.

You still won't hit competitive balance in scheduling
What if the nfl had random games they schedule based on how the season shaping up?

Like the schedule comes out quarterly

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if the nfl had random games they schedule based on how the season shaping up?

Only winning teams play winning teams and losing team play losing teams.
Even team possibly finished 9-8 or 8-9. Give or take a few games.
:muttley:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Winning the division still matters, playing another game outside the division waters that down.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

I think it'd be fun but pretty stupid. You'd basically start the playoffs at Thanksgiving and half the games would be even more meaningless than they already are.

Plus, the NFL would 100% "rig" schedules.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
No way. The divisional rivalry games are more often than not among the best games of the season.

The only way it would make sense is if they went to a conference seeding playoff format, which I wouldn't want to see either.

All things being equal, not playing Philly again this week would seriously hamper any chance still left to squeak out the division title.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Don’t like that we play division teams twice a year but play in AFC cities only one every eight years.

BUT….the schedule is in line with the playoff system.

And we know for sure, through Jerry’s words, how much the league values those division rivalry games.

It’s the Super Bowl for teams that aren’t in the playoff hunt. That why the final week is all division games….it’s always a rival even if you’re out of it. Genius.

There are going to be times when a division is down and the winner will have a worse record than WC teams. Then it changes, etc. It’s not something they should as much as consider changing. It’s not as broke as it may seem.

If anything I think too much advantage is given to one team in each conference and while Brady and Burrow have blown up my theory in recent years, we will see mostly one seeds in the SB from here until it’s changed.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No way. The divisional rivalry games are more often than not among the best games of the season.

The only way it would make sense is if they went to a conference seeding playoff format, which I wouldn't want to see either.

All things being equal, not playing Philly again this week would seriously hamper any chance still left to squeak out the division title.
I largely agree with you but to play devils advocate here had the Cowboys not played Philly already this year this game would be two teams tied for the division lead and this game would be twice as important than it is currently. Right now even with a win the Cowboys wont control their destiny the rest of the way. I could see a situation where fewer divisional games makes those games more important and you could essentially make those divisional games the last 3 weeks of the season to create additional hype as conference play starts right before the playoffs. I think there absolutely is a way to do it and it could create more hype around these games, but the NFL tries to prioritize equality within scheduling to the best of their abilities which certainly would not happen here.

Bagman

Reaction score
I'm all about rivalries. We should play NYG and Wash. 4 times each.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm all about rivalries. We should play NYG and Wash. 4 times each.
This is the piece that I struggle with a bit. 20 years ago these really felt like actual rivalry games. Beating Washington especially felt like something that mattered even if both teams were garbage. Fast forward to 2023 and most divisional games just feel like another game on the schedule. Maybe others disagree?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Nah. I like playing the division rivals twice a year. My only issue with it is they should space out the 2 games more so they're in each half of the season. Teams play different at different times of the year. Coming up, Philly is playing the Giants twice in 3 weeks. If the Giants are in suck-more-let's-tank mode for a 3-game stretch, then Philly capitalizes big time. But facing a Giants team with hope at the start of the year could have made a difference. I mean, they had all the hope in the world when we destroyed them opening night, but you get what I mean.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Division games are huge. If we didn’t play our division rivals twice we would have little chance of winning the NFC East this season. Playing your division rivals twice each season makes for an exciting division race and the rematch gives you a chance to overcome an earlier loss. It also gives each team an opportunity to play at home. It makes for a fair division race.