How bad is Wittens Separated Shoulder?

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
I mean I have barely read or heard anything about it. Nothing about the severity of the separation. Are their grades of separation? What happens if they jam him at the line and just pound on his shoulder? If I was GreenBay everytime I got to take a hit on Witten I would be putting my helmet on his shoulder. It's not dirty, its just the game. I hope he doesn't get put out for the season. If we lose Witten we are in a world of hurt.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I heard his arm fell off, but it's cool, he is playing with one arm.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
There hasn't been much discussion of the severity of it. It came out, they popped it back in, gave him a shot and he was good to go. Gotta imagine that it's mild to moderate if they are clearing him to go and seem to have no concerns over it.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2272035 said:
There hasn't been much discussion of the severity of it. It came out, they popped it back in, gave him a shot and he was good to go. Gotta imagine that it's mild to moderate if they are clearing him to go and seem to have no concerns over it.

So it subluxated? That's the same exact thing that happened to Stanback. How can Stanback miss a couple of weeks and Witten miss zero? Damn, Witten is a stud.

Stanback needs to grow a pair obviously.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2272079 said:
So it subluxated? That's the same exact thing that happened to Stanback. How can Stanback miss a couple of weeks and Witten miss zero? Damn, Witten is a stud.

Its all in the testosterone, Stanback has a woman's main and Witten....well he'll have to shave his head before long, a sign of exceedingly high testosterone, medical fact.;)

Thanos68

Benched
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2272079 said:

I was thinking that same thing. Which is really what prompted to go ***, and then start this thread. LOL

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shoulders are very tricky and the degrees to which they "separate" vary greatly - that is why some are out for months and some aren't out at all. I separated my shoulder and broke it in 5 places in January, it's still messed up.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2272079 said:

I'm on my way to work so I don't have time to go into it, but a dislocated or subluxed shoulder is totally different than a separated shoulder. The former is the humerus out of place, the later is a separation at the AC joint. I believe I've read that Witten has a separated shoulder. Perhaps someone can Google, cut and paste the differences for the board.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
BIGDen;2272103 said:
I'm on my way to work so I don't have time to go into it, but a dislocated or subluxed shoulder is totally different than a separated shoulder. The former is the humerus out of place, the later is a separation at the AC joint. I believe I've read that Witten has a separated shoulder. Perhaps someone can Google, cut and paste the differences for the board.

Yeah. I figure there are varying degrees of of subluxation ,separation, and dislocation. I just find it odd that Witten isn't going to miss any time but perhaps it's not really odd at all.

Subluxation:

Definition: A condition that occurs when a joint begins to dislocate. Instead of the joint surfaces completely losing contact, a subluxation can be considered a "partial dislocation."

A subluxation can be the result of a trauma or acute injury. In these cases, the injury can be quite painful.

Subluxations can also occur as a result of loose joints. In patients with generalized joint laxity, their body may allow for joint subluxations without any trauma or injury. These patients often have no symptoms and may not need any treatment for joint subluxations. (Witten?)If these joint subluxations become symptomatic, treatment may be recommended.

Separation:

A shoulder separation is an injury to the acromioclavicular joint on the top of the shoulder. The shoulder joint is formed at the junction of three bones: the collarbone (clavicle), the shoulder blade (scapula), and the arm bone (humerus). The scapula and clavicle form the socket of the joint, and the humerus has a round head that fits within this socket.

A shoulder separation occurs where the clavicle and the scapula come together. The end of the scapula is called the acromion, and the joint between this part of the scapula and clavicle is called the acromioclavicular joint. When this joint is disrupted, it is called a shoulder separation. Another name for this injury is an acromioclavicular joint separation, or AC separation.

Dislocation:

A shoulder dislocation is an injury that occurs when the top of the arm bone (humerus) loses contact with the socket of the shoulder blade (scapula). A shoulder dislocation generally occurs after an injury such as a fall or a sports-related injury. About 95% of the time, when the shoulder dislocates, the top of the humerus is sitting in front of the shoulder blade--an anterior dislocation. In less than 5% of cases, the top of the humerus is behind the shoulder blade--a posterior dislocation. Posterior dislocations are unusual, and seen after injuries such as electrocution or after a seizure.

They're all different and thus it's no surprise really that one person took 2 weeks to get back and the other might miss no time. I just like pointing out the sheer beastly nature of Witten. :D

Eskimo

Reaction score
It has been alluded to that xrays were normal.

This would mean it is a "grade one" AC joint injury. In the past to prove it, we used to do some weighted xrays to prove there was a gap but that practice has mostly been discontinued now. If the injury seems to be to the joint but the xrays are normal it is a "grade one" injury.

BTW, separations refer to the AC joint or where the shoulder blade hooks up to the collar bone.

Dislocations refer to the glenohumeral joint or where the arm bone hooks up with the shoulder blade.

Subluxation is a term that refers to a partial dislocation where to joint surfaces remain in contact.

NMfan

Reaction score
Eskimo;2272182 said:
It has been alluded to that xrays were normal.

This would mean it is a "grade one" AC joint injury. In the past to prove it, we used to do some weighted xrays to prove there was a gap but that practice has mostly been discontinued now. If the injury seems to be to the joint but the xrays are normal it is a "grade one" injury.

BTW, separations refer to the AC joint or where the shoulder blade hooks up to the collar bone.

Dislocations refer to the glenohumeral joint or where the arm bone hooks up with the shoulder blade.

Subluxation is a term that refers to a partial dislocation where to joint surfaces remain in contact.

Thanks Eskimo. i really appreciate when you help us laymen understand some of these injuries. :)

Eskimo

Reaction score
NMfan;2272231 said:
Thanks Eskimo. i really appreciate when you help us laymen understand some of these injuries. :)

Always glad to try and put it in as much non-medicalese as I can. Most of this stuff isn't too complicated, it is just that the explanations are full of jargon.

One more thing about grade one shoulder separations is that they often mean only a partial injury to one of the 3 ligaments that provide stability to the AC joint.