How Bit-Torrent Works

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
I hope everyone who is using the One Swarm application and connected with Cowboys Media will read this post.

Some of you may not be familiar with bit-torrent as a method of downloading files. So I am going to try to get you familiar with it in this post.

The important thing to realize is, the more bits you collect during download, the more bits you have to share with others who are connected to the file. If everyone is sharing their random collection of bits with each other, a powerful torrent is created.

Prior to having downloaded the entire file to your PC, you are considered a "leach". Once you have completed the download you are then considered a "seed". Once a leach has accumulated more than 50% of the transfer from the original seed, the latency begins to dramatically benefit other leachers in the swarm. As more and more leachers become seeders, the file transfer rate can be just as good as any host server.

For more info on bit-torrent you can visit "How Stuff Works".... http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bittorrent2.htm

I'd like to thank a dozen members who have been active at downloading files with persistence and patience. They have remained on-line and forging ahead as the sole leach to files that I am the sole seed. They are the ones who will make it possible for those who follow to have faster download speeds. I'm not going to mention you by name, but you know who you are and we appreciate your diligence.

There are a couple of you who are taking it upon yourselves to download entire collections. These two members already have the files from last season, they are merely wanting to support the start-up phase by providing bandwidth for others. It's guys like this that should be recognized for their tremendous support.

Right now we are at about 80 members. In two weeks of the off-season, I'd say that is very good. The only concern I have is that there are only a dozen active members with 550+ files to share. So I am hoping that more of you will work together to create more powerful torrents.

Please don't wait until the day after game 1 of the 2009 season to get connected with the One Swarm set-up. Get set-up now and provide support by seeding for the community of friends at Cowboys Media.

Thanks for your support.

SG