How do you let them get burned on the fake punt?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
There is no such thing as a good ST coordinator, just some who make more mistakes than others.

I actually blame that as much on McCarthy/Quinn (depending on how they make that call) for not just leaving the defense on the field.

Flamma

Reaction score
That was the first thing that went through my head when they lined up to punt on 4th and 2.

Fassell should not let that happen! They should have a rule that they have to stay with the gunner in those situations
The first thing I thought of was a fake punt. The only people that didn't expect it were the Cowboys. I got up and walked right up to my TV. I was looking to where the snap went. I was expecting a direct snap to someone up front. Then when the punter pulled up to pass, I was not surprised.

BUT THE COWBOYS WERE!!!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That was the first thing that went through my head when they lined up to punt on 4th and 2.

Fassell should not let that happen! They should have a rule that they have to stay with the gunner in those situations
Me to. Done and distance, field position, and the score all screamed fake and that’s all I was thinking as I watched them lining up. I have no idea how that gunner was not press covering and found himself 10 yards from his man after 2 seconds. Due to all the things mentioned above, they should be abandoning a possible return in favor of guarding against the fake. I’m still pissed that happened. It seriously could have changed to momentum and led to a loss. Overcoming that play and Dak’s fumble and not letting the game slip away is a huge indicator that this is now a different team.

conner01

Reaction score
Its a risk you take putting a WR on a WR
That’s true. Though it was such an obvious situation fassel should have pointed out the possibility to the gunner. He didn’t seem to have any clue it was a possible fake

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mistakes happen. And when teams pore over game tape, they will find things that they can exploit (I'm sure they saw this opportunity from film study). It didn't end up burning them and they'll learn from it.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I thought they shoulda been prepared for that. This game coulda really been a blowout. Given the opponent down and distance, I just didn’t feel sold that they would actually punt.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The first thing I thought of was a fake punt. The only people that didn't expect it were the Cowboys. I got up and walked right up to my TV. I was looking to where the snap went. I was expecting a direct snap to someone up front. Then when the punter pulled up to pass, I was not surprised.

BUT THE COWBOYS WERE!!!
Same here i'm like 4th and 2 something bad is about to happen and BOOM!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

BUT THE COWBOYS WERE!!!
Me too. I was talking to the TV before the fake that they need to watch out.

I cannot post here what I said after they pulled it off.

Carson

Reaction score
No, that was not the problem, the punter punts if the guy presses the gunner, WR or DB.
The receiver ran a good route. Tolbert tried to get in his way but he stopped and ran an out

ChrisL97

Reaction score

BUT THE COWBOYS WERE!!!
We had a watch party and I yelled "watch for the fake punt!". As has been explained by everyone in this thread, we should have expected it. A coach making millions of dollars shouldn't be dumber than fans watching the game on tv.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Better to learn that lesson in this game than the playoffs. The Eagles must have seen tape on a weakness and exploited it. The STs will adapt

1942willys

Reaction score
Better to learn that lesson in this game than the playoffs. The Eagles must have seen tape on a weakness and exploited it. The STs will adapt
THIS was on the coach. Now one can argue the players should have twigged as well but the COACH SHOULD HAVE FOR CERTAIN.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Me to. Done and distance, field position, and the score all screamed fake and that’s all I was thinking as I watched them lining up. I have no idea how that gunner was not press covering and found himself 10 yards from his man after 2 seconds. Due to all the things mentioned above, they should be abandoning a possible return in favor of guarding against the fake. I’m still pissed that happened. It seriously could have changed to momentum and led to a loss. Overcoming that play and Dak’s fumble and not letting the game slip away is a huge indicator that this is now a different team.
Felt the same way. I would have left the defense on the field, with the only exception being Turpin back to make the fair catch if they did punt it. Siriani has shown that he's willing to gamble and that felt like a gamble situation.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don't think it was about a weakness. Think it was just a matter of the Eagles needed to make something happen. But when you have a receiver blocking the outside gunner, you generally have a coverage mismatch. That's why a lot of teams put DBs at those spots.

Acheman08

Reaction score
I knew it was going to be a fake too...I yelled at the TV when they lined up. Eagles, down points, 4th and only 2...they couldve manass pushed it for 2 yards so it only made sense they were going to fake it. Bones should have recognized it. I was half expecting them to start the game with an onside kick ala the pickle juice game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bones will make sure that doesn't happen again. At least it didn't cost the Cowboys the game.

Better to have it happen now than the playoffs. :omg: