How GMs Use Mock Drafts

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
How NFL teams utilize mock drafts, other outside influences

By Charley Casserly NFL Network
Analyst
Published: April 11, 2012 at 12:27 p.m. Updated: April 11, 2012 at 01:17 p.m.

In my time with the Washington Commanders and Houston Texans, I never paid any attention to mock drafts ... until a week before the NFL draft. This is when I found them to be the most reliable. Consequently, this is when I would begin to study them.

I used mock drafts to do two things:

1. To determine what other teams might be thinking in the first round, especially around us.

2. To get a consensus on who would be drafted in the first round. This gave me an idea of who could be available in the second round. I would then spend a greater portion of our draft meetings in the final week focusing on these names in strategy sessions on the second round.

We would pick five mock drafts which we felt were the most reliable over a period time, track the players selected in the first round of each and get a consensus of the first-round makeup. But mock drafts were not the only tools I used to determine draft strategy. Prior to the week before the draft, I had a member of our scouting department compile the following items:

• Team needs, as determined by our pro scouting department.

• Team needs, as determined by the team's local media.

• A list of player visits. (The NFL does not publish this information. You need to hustle: Researching various media outlets, speaking to agents and calling players themselves.)

• Key comments made to the media by other teams regarding their needs.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...-utilize-mock-drafts-other-outside-influences