How good are the top teams in the nfl?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
AFC
The colts for exmaple. I mean you look at the AFC South, and they couldn't have an easier division. Although things are chaning in the division. The Jaguars best the colts once a year, and the Texans, are clearly getting better. The Titans though no longer the team they used to be will give good teams a pretty easy win.

The steelers won the afc north this year, and went 15-1. I think their huge comeback will only be out measured by their huge fall back. The Ravens are a lot better this year. The Bengals are better too. And while the Browns aren't a playoff team, they too are probably going to be better this year. Especially their offense.

I think the Jets are going to win the AFC East this year. Yea, I'm betting against the Patriots here. I think that they are going to struggle this year. Miami is going to be better this year, the jets will be better, and the bills will be about the same, perhaps a little worse. I think they'll beat the pats at least once though.

The Patriots have an extremely difficult schedule this year, and I see their defense AND their offense really taking big steps backwards. I honestly think they'll go somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6.

I think San Diego will do fairly well this year, but the AFC West is the toughest division in the nfl right now. Kansas City will be much better, and so will Oakland. Denver is pretty much where they were last year.

AFC South - Colts
AFC North - Ravens
AFC East - Jets
AFC West - It's honestly too hard to tell.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
NFC

NFC South is going to be a much stronger division this year. The Falcons aren't going to be as successful, but they'll be just as good as they were before. The Saints will be a little better, and the Panthers will be much better, as will the Buccaneers due to Carnell williams. Their ability to run the ball is going to jump start their offense.

NFC North is a division I thought was going to be really better this year. But Chicago is going to suck this year, and Detroit still isn't improved on defense. If Garcia plays though, they might prove difficult, to the defensively poor division. I think the Vikings are a clear favorite, and I don't think the Packers are going to fair so well. Definitely one of the weakest divisions in the nfl.

NFC East
I think the Eagles are still probably the favorite here, as much as I hate to say that. But I think it's going to be tough for them this year. The NFC is a harder conference, and the NFC East is also going to be tougher. Even the Commanders won't suck it up as much. If we weren't playing the NFC West, I'd say the Eagles were really going to struggle.

and that brings me to the NFC West
The seahawks suck, their offense won't get it done against good defenses. And their defense is porous. The Rams will be the best team in the division, but they won't be that strong of a team. Their defense still isn't where it needs to be. The Cardinals are going to push the Rams all year, they're improved offensively and defensively. The 49ers still suck. They're going to have next years 1st overall draft pick two years in a row. Only team they beat last year was the cardinals.

NFC South - Tampa Bay
NFC North - Minnesota
NFC East - Philadelphia
NFC West - St. Louis

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Wild Card candidates
AFC - Jaguars, Bengals, Patriots, any AFC west team
NFC - Falcons, Panthers, Cowboys, Cardinals

Eddie

Reaction score
Nothing in the NFL is cemented anymore. The Colts are one injury away from a top 5 pick. So are most TOP teams.

Don't be surprised to see the bottom feeders making a serious run. No one knows at this point.

morasp

Reaction score
I think the difference is a lot less than you would think. Just like Aikman was saying the Steelers game was a turning point, if we could have beaten them it could have been a completely different season for us.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Galian, I will give you an "E" for effort regarding your latest posts. You took the time to break it down and it's appreciated. But you have the NFC South all wrong my friend. The Bucs will struggle to even come in 3rd. That defense is merely a shell of what it used to be.

Here is my prediction of how it will shape up in the NFC South:

1) Falcons (by a hair)
2) Panthers
3) Saints
4) Bucs (defensive woes)

Galian Beast

Reaction score
morasp said:
I think the difference is a lot less than you would think. Just like Aikman was saying the Steelers game was a turning point, if we could have beaten them it could have been a completely different season for us.

I think people believe we're a worse team than we are.

We have the makings of a great and dominant defense. We've always been good at stopping the run, and now we'll be able to pressure the quarterback and create turnovers.

Combined with the running support we have. It's going to be very similiar to the Steelers and Ravens offenses. The difference is that I think we have more talent on offense than the Ravens, and have more potential than the Steelers.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I think people believe we're a worse team than we are.

We have the makings of a great and dominant defense. We've always been good at stopping the run, and now we'll be able to pressure the quarterback and create turnovers.

Combined with the running support we have. It's going to be very similiar to the Steelers and Ravens offenses. The difference is that I think we have more talent on offense than the Ravens, and have more potential than the Steelers.

No, we have not always been good at stopping the run. Just last year we began to struggle again, against the run. And we have yet to play any meaningful games, a full game for that matter that proves that we can pressure the QB. I do hope that you are right. And yes, we do have more talent on defense than in previous years. But we are younger and it is a new scheme. Let's hope it all pans out.

Also, we have a lot to prove before we stand out like the Raven's defense or the Steeler's defense.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Home field this year will be 12-4 and possibly 11-5, with just a handful of teams with double digit winning totals.

Most of the league has a legit shot of being in the 7 to 9 win range.

NFCE: PHI

NFCN: MIN

NFCS: CAR

NFCW: AZ

WC: ATL, DAL

AFCE: NYJ

AFCN: PIT

AFCS: IND

AFCW: SD

WC: NE, KC

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Gordon said:
:confused:

The Eagles are the only real proven team in the NFC.

I don't think you should give the Eagles a pass. Their offense has definitely taken a step backwards, and they've lost a couple dlinemen, and Corey simon still hasn't reported has he? Derrick Burgess (FA) and Jerome McDougle (probably will end up on ir).

All they need is for T.O. to end up not playing. And their season is over.

Fletch, I think the Buccaneers are going to surprise you. Their defense is still pretty solid, and the introduction to a running game is REALLY going to help their offense.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Fletch said:
No, we have not always been good at stopping the run. Just last year we began to struggle again, against the run. And we have yet to play any meaningful games, a full game for that matter that proves that we can pressure the QB. I do hope that you are right. And yes, we do have more talent on defense than in previous years. But we are younger and it is a new scheme. Let's hope it all pans out.

Also, we have a lot to prove before we stand out like the Raven's defense or the Steeler's defense.

Our defense was crippled last year, but we were still top 10 against the run. In 2003 we were 3rd against the run. 15th in 2002. 13th in 2001.

I am just hopeful that we will be able to apply pressure to the qb. We have DeMarcus Ware, Kevin Burnett, La'Roi Glover, Greg Ellis, and Marcus Spears. We've done a lot to improve here. And I can't see us not having a good pass rush, unless Zimmer is completely incompetent, and I think he is a good defensive coach.

Don't underestimate our defense when it isn't crippled.

in 2003 we only allowed 16.3 points per game. 2nd lowest in the nfl. We were ranked 3rd in rush defense, and 1st in pass defense.

We're improved over that 2003 defense in almost every regard. Our secondary and linebacker groups just need to step up. We really need to be good at free safety in order to keep offenses down.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We lost half of our secondary last year, and had NO depth behind it. And this was for the entire year. Woodson and Hunter both gone. This year Hunter was basically released. We could go after him again but we haven't... and he was our starter last year. We have a huge upgrade in Henry, and even Aaron Glenn.

All we need is an established pass rush. We have to rely on our rookies to give us that. We have to rely on the mixture of 3-4 and 4-3 thouroughly confuses our opponents.

And on top of that we have to stay healthy.

Gordon

Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I don't think you should give the Eagles a pass. Their offense has definitely taken a step backwards, and they've lost a couple dlinemen, and Corey simon still hasn't reported has he? Derrick Burgess (FA) and Jerome McDougle (probably will end up on ir).

All they need is for T.O. to end up not playing. And their season is over.

Fletch, I think the Buccaneers are going to surprise you. Their defense is still pretty solid, and the introduction to a running game is REALLY going to help their offense.

TO played yesterday. I'd say he did pretty well for himself. I believe he had 2 catches, 90+ yards, and a TD. Not sure how long he played. I see no reason to believe the Eagles offense takes a step backward this year. To my knowledge, the only player they "lost" was Freddie Mitchell. That's probably a positive loss as well.

My point is though, that the NFC cannot be considered better than the AFC at this point. Even if you're just speculating into what you feel will happen by the end of this season, I think it's unreasonable to believe the NFC will be better when they were basically a laughing stock last year. The Eagles were really the only respectable team the NFC had to offer last year.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Gordon, you must not have heard the news, he is claiming he has reinjured his groin. They lost Freddie Mitchell AND Todd Pinkston, and Corell Buckhalter. And Dorsey Levens is 35 years old this year.

I didn't say it was better than the AFC, but it's definitely much stronger than it was last year.

The Panthers were plagued by injuries last year. 14 players were on ir by the half way point.

The Buccaneers had no running game, and drafted Carnell williams. Having williams will expand the passing game, and keep their defense off the field. They aren't a bad team.

Detroit couldn't do much even on offense last year. This year they at least have Garcia if Harrington doesn't deliver. He will guide this team to more wins than last year.

The vikings have improved their defense tremendously this year.

The Cowboys are better, and so are the Giants.

The cardinals have also improved their defense, and their offense.

NorTex

Reaction score
I agree with a previous poster that most/all teams are one injury away from a losing season...if McNabb goes down, so do the E-Girls.

We were a very solid team thru 2 or 3 quarters last year. Now that we have better depth and rotation personel, we should be very solid thru the entire game.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I don't think you should give the Eagles a pass.

I agree -- in fact, Eagle fans aren't giving the Eagles a pass! All of the hype is from opponent fans like you and more, and the media. Eagles management are approaching every team, every pre-season/regular season game on a team-by- team basis. We don't want any free rides -- we'll earn our keep! But I'll tell you this ...your're wrong about some things (perhaps wishful thinking) the Eagle offense is strong, and the defense is stronger than last year.

Having said that, I think like an Eagles fan should think, I believe we will be just as competitive as any other team in the NFL.