How important/difficult is keeping Gurode

baj1dallas

Reaction score
This is actually what I'm most worried about. Even a Zimmer non-hater like me saw it was probably time for him to move on. But with Gurode, I'm not exactly sure. I mean it looked like he played pretty good, especially early in the season. He had few penalties, got to the second level to block, and didn't make many mental mistakes all season long. At a position like center, that seems like a very good thing: to have a reliable, steady guy with all the physical ability to get the job done.

Now I could be missing something (although you'd think somebody would point it out). Maybe Gurode snaps high or doesn't block with enough power or twitches his left ear before he's going to snap the ball. I don't know exactly how he grades out. But every indication is that it's at least as well as anybody else they'll get in as a FA and better than any rookie (don't see any great rookie centers in the draft).

Does he want to be back in Dallas? Are Jerry and crew going to get him locked up before anybody else can swoop in? Does the staff trust him long term? Does Romo like him? Anybody else worried about this? I know Colombo is also a FA but he basically came in off the street...RT doesn't seem nearly as hard a position to replace as center, and not only Gurode but also Al Johnson is a FA...I don't want to have to start all over with some new guy.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Well, you can't let him walk, and you can't overpay him. The Cowboys have the cap space to get a deal done if he wants to come back. We'll just have to see what kind of attention he gets in the FA market. He's big, he's athletic, he's got a lot of football in front of him, and he's versatile enough to play 2 positions on the OL. He's not going to get Rivera-type money, but he might get a little more than the deal Kosier got.

aikemirv

Reaction score
flashback;1305111 said:
Well, you can't let him walk, and you can't overpay him. The Cowboys have the cap space to get a deal done if he wants to come back. We'll just have to see what kind of attention he gets in the FA market. He's big, he's athletic, he's got a lot of football in front of him, and he's versatile enough to play 2 positions on the OL. He's not going to get Rivera-type money, but he might get a little more than the deal Kosier got.

I think he will easily get Rivera type money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't think Dallas will have a problem getting Gurode signed and I do think it is important that we do get him signed.