How long is pain medication good for?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I have some Hydrocodone from my last Root Canal back on 8/10/2004. I just had a Root Canal done today and I was wondering if I could just use the medicine I mentioned above instead of filling another perscription.

- Mike G.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
I have some Hydrocodone from my last Root Canal back on 8/10/2004. I just had a Root Canal done today and I was wondering if I could just use the medicine I mentioned above instead of filling another perscription.

- Mike G.
As a non-medical expert, get that new prescription filled and toss the old stuff out. You don't want to use something from two years ago. Stuff could be toxic. :cool:

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
I don't believe it would be toxic, but the old stuff would be less potent as a result of age. Fill the new prescription.

You could send me the old bottle.;) :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qwickdraw said:
I don't believe it would be toxic, but the old stuff would be less potent as a result of age. Fill the new prescription.

You could send me the old bottle.;) :D

One of my duties while serving in S.Korea was to drive a LT around and assist him in ammo duties and also some of his other duties that included inventory of medical equipment which also included the control of medications.

You know there is nothing worse then going to a posts pharmacy, making sure every pill, counted out in front of us, matched inventory sheets and then if they were beyond the expiration date watching these pills be destroyed.

Many times I kidded with the LT and said....hey LT how about we just bottle up some of these old pills and I will take them with me but I will be your witness that they were destroyed...but the LT would never fall for it.:laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:

- Mike G.

Hydrocodone has a general shelf life of 2 years.

Taking the pills, if they are stored properly and were not contaminated because of something (like being in a situation where something leaked onto them)...will NOT cause you problems...they will just be much weaker in strength as others have noted.

Since the normal shelf life is 2 years for this specific drug as noted by most FDA standards...it would be better off for you to get a new RX.

Basically if they are outdated, and have greatly reduced the strength of them your are kinda of taking acetaminophen (aka Tylenol) without the codeine.

So if you are just having a dull minor pain, you could take tylenol which could save you some dough...however if your pain would not cease with tylenol then get a new RX.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You know there is nothing worse then going to a posts pharmacy, making sure every pill, counted out in front of us, matched inventory sheets and then if they were beyond the expiration date watching these pills be destroyed.

Good looking out.

LOL, I pulled some of the sticker off the bottle and it says "Discard:8-10-2005".

I guess that settled that lol.

If I get some unbearable pain, I will just re-fill the perscription. Was just trying to save a little money as a Root Canal is extremely expensive :(.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mickgreen58 said:
Good looking out.

LOL, I pulled some of the sticker off the bottle and it says "Discard:8-10-2005".

If I get some unbearable pain, I will just re-fill the perscription. Was just trying to save a little money as a Root Canal is extremely expensive :(.

For now just take tylenol (or the generic acetaminephin) and if that does not work then go get the other filled.

Saves you some money and you might not waste getting another RX where you only use a pill or two only too see it get outdated again.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Good looking out.

The last time I had one my dentist told me to take aleve along with the antibotic it relieved the pain and I didn't have the side affects of the meds. I hate pain meds.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Taking the pills, if they are stored properly and were not contaminated because of something (like being in a situation where something leaked onto them)...will NOT cause you problems...they will just be much weaker in strength as others have noted.

Since the normal shelf life is 2 years for this specific drug as noted by most FDA standards...it would be better off for you to get a new RX.

Basically if they are outdated, and have greatly reduced the strength of them your are kinda of taking acetaminophen (aka Tylenol) without the codeine.

So if you are just having a dull minor pain, you could take tylenol which could save you some dough...however if your pain would not cease with tylenol then get a new RX.

You could have sold them and split the profits :D

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

I've been informed that when a med like this reaches it's experation date the company tests samples from the same batch and if they pass they are allowed to reissue them on to the market just as if they where brand new.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Probably the best thing to do is start brushing and flossing your teeth. :D

I was actually thinking about the same topic. I had a root canal last August and just realized I had some pain medication in my medicine cabinet. I was wondering what it would do if I took some. My back has been bothering me lately, so I thought about trying it out. :laugh2:

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Probably the best thing to do is start brushing and flossing your teeth.

Nah, I didnt have any cavities :).

The nerve in my tooth, which was the one that is at the very back and at the bottom right seemed to be a little close to the surface and would ache when cold air got on it or some type of cold food or soda got on it.

Last week it eventually started making my head hurt on my right side.

I have had no real pain as of yet, just my jaw aches a little and the tooth is kind of sore, but it would not keep me from going to sleep.

Now the last root canal I had, it was a re-treat of an old root canal that had a cavity. That sucker hurt for three days and the sucky thing about it was you either took the Hydrocodone, which would relieve the pain in the tooth but would make my stomach hurt, or I had to stick it out and just let my tooth hurt.

I dont know about yall, but I would rather have my tooth hurting then my stomach.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
You know, a bottle of Hydrocodone is not very expensive at all.
Usually around 15-20$.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Toss them unless it's a serious financial burden.***

The biggest problem is that most people store their medicines in the "medicine" cabinet in their bathroom. Worst place ever. The humidity from the shower/bath combined with the light from constantly opening the cabinet wrecks havoc on the drugs, causing quicker breakdowns.

The best thing to do if you must keep them (disposing of prescriptions when no longer needed is best) is to buy a small lockable security safe ($10-$15) and store them in a cool, dry space like a hallway closet.

***Brought to you by the Mrs.