How many of our rookies actually make the 53 man roster

Cowboys22

Reaction score
All of them except maybe the last pick. There is plenty of room and its time to get rid of Watkins, Brown, Ball, Battle, Rogers, and any other bottom of the roster guy that hasn't done an damn thing and couldn't cover kicks worth crap!!!

hendog

Reaction score
JJ talked about the cap savings of this draft in the first 50 secs of his post draft press conf. I think he wants to replace marginal vet players with these young hungry cheap players.

I think the brass went into this draft with certain players and positions they wanted to replace and address.

It's not a stretch if you listen to JJ that all these players make the roster.

Its almost like we went into this draft hell bent on these players. Regardless of who fell, except maybe Unger over Brewster.

Cowboys Dad

Reaction score
I think they all have a good chance of cracking the roster if you pay attention to who they have to beat out to make the roster. Some of those listed above as well as Ellis and his big mouth and even bigger contract as opposed to his production.

The guy not on your list I will go out on a limb and say will definately make the roster is Phillips the TE. Funny how quickly people forget that Tony Curtis played 224 plays last year in two and three TE sets. Phillips is far better than Hannah and is even better than Curtis was, bank on the fact that he makes this team!

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
hendog;2754026 said:
JJ talked about the cap savings of this draft in the first 50 secs of his post draft press conf. I think he wants to replace marginal vet players with these young hungry cheap players.

I think the brass went into this draft with certain players and positions they wanted to replace and address.

It's not a stretch if you listen to JJ that all these players make the roster.

Its almost like we went into this draft hell bent on these players. Regardless of who fell, except maybe Unger over Brewster.

That is a bit of an x-factor in this whole debate.

My gut feeling is maybe 7 or 8 of the 12 end up being good enough to make the team, with one or two more getting hurt along the way and being placed on IR.

But Jerry could very well keep all 12, or 10 or 11 of the 12, if he's hellbent on the matter. Maybe Hurd's better than Johnson, but the team goes with Johnson because he's cheaper and younger, and since Hurd's not exactly a world beater. Maybe that theme occurs at four or five other spots of competition as well.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
RainMan;2754036 said:
That is a bit of an x-factor in this whole debate.

My gut feeling is maybe 7 or 8 of the 12 end up being good enough to make the team, with one or two more getting hurt along the way and being placed on IR.

But Jerry could very well keep all 12, or 10 or 11 of the 12, if he's hellbent on the matter. Maybe Hurd's better than Johnson, but the team goes with Johnson because he's cheaper and younger, and since Hurd's not exactly a world beater. Maybe that theme occurs at four or five other spots of competition as well.

I tend to agree.
Hurd, a good player, is still not in the Miles Austin tier. And he's done nothing to separate himself from the others. He and Stanback have A LOT to prove and soon.
There is just limited time for a player to be a developmental rookie.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think 10 of them have legitimate chances to make the team. I don't think Manuel Johnson will beat out Sam Hurd or Isaiah Stanback for a WR job. I'm also worried that Stephen Hodge doesn't have a NFL defensive position. Hopefully, Hodge is a terror on special teams.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Cowboys Dad;2754027 said:
I think they all have a good chance of cracking the roster if you pay attention to who they have to beat out to make the roster. Some of those listed above as well as Ellis and his big mouth and even bigger contract as opposed to his production.

The guy not on your list I will go out on a limb and say will definately make the roster is Phillips the TE. Funny how quickly people forget that Tony Curtis played 224 plays last year in two and three TE sets. Phillips is far better than Hannah and is even better than Curtis was, bank on the fact that he makes this team!

Phillips makes the team, he is a solid blocker. I could see him lined up as H-back quite a bit. He was 1st team ACC on a bad VA team. He's a solid solid player.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
hendog;2754026 said:

I think this is only partially true. If that were a global approach, we would have drafted more than one offensive lineman.

They also went with a fiscal slant as well. The two OLB choices in particular were made with that in mind. Greg Ellis isn't long for the world and high priced underachievers like Carpenter are going away also.

We missed out on a couple of others. I think a couple were compromise picks that went per the board (Butler, B. Williams) while others were pet cats (like Buehler, Mickens and Smith).

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2754132 said:
I think 10 of them have legitimate chances to make the team. I don't think Manuel Johnson will beat out Sam Hurd or Isaiah Stanback for a WR job. I'm also worried that Stephen Hodge doesn't have a NFL defensive position. Hopefully, Hodge is a terror on special teams.
Hodge is a perfect fit for Weak side ILB IMO.